• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

12.1 Testnet Testing Phase Two Ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.

eduffield

Core Developer
Hello Everyone,

I’m pleased to announce the second phase of public testnet testing for version 12.1. In phase one we’ve been working on merging upstream changes from Bitcoin into Dash-core. This included many changes to the way blocks are handled, nodes are handled and improvements to memory management and locking issues we’ve experienced.

12.1 is the first version of the software that is the hint at what everyone can expect from evolution. 12.1 can be thought of as a pre-alpha of the evolution software, where all eventual functionalities will be accessible through low level APIs, allowing users to integrate existing software and experiment with Dash before it goes completely live and is accessible through friendly interfaces.

To begin we’re going to introduce superblocks, proposals and contracts in the 12.1 software. This means that we will have mirrored the software capabilities in 12.0, with the budget system, but using a brand new decentralized governance system created purely for dash evolution.

So what can you do for Dash testing? We want users to come in and test all of the basic functionality, such as mixing coins, instantly sending monies, even creating our brand new shiny governance proposals, then sentinel superblocks. This system is completely autonomous, therefore to test it you’ll need to follow a guide to setup the masternode correctly.

Besides the many changes below, the system also uses a brand new signaling mechanism which allows the masternodes to form a collective opinion about various states of governance objects, such as funding, validity and many more. This is an extendable system which allows the network to custom design it’s own infrastructure, while only updating dashd yearly at most. This will allow quick resolution of new ideas, implementation and release without risking network security by over releasing versions of the primary network protocol.

New Software Configuration for 12.1:
  • Dash full node
  • 1000 testnet Dash (faucet)
  • Sentinel : Running from crontab
  • MySQL

Functional changes to 12.1 since our last testnet session:
  • Sentinel system which uses hourly superblocks on testnet
  • Masternode sync improvements
  • PrivateSend to mix with 3 participants on testnet for a more realistic testnet phase
  • Change extended key version bytes to BIP32
  • Support for transaction lock ZMQ messages to allow event based instant transaction support for easier implementation of external hardware/software systems
  • Update DNS seeds
  • Autobackup enhancements
  • Merged bitcoin upstream v12
  • New CLI for proposals through Sentinel

Want to help us test and launch 12.1? Simply follow the guides and test operations that we have below, then bring up any issues you find here.

Sentinel 12.1 Documentation:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g8vA4sGnQVsK7YQfEoQyCrZs_7kfHMW_43m8K7vZOdQ/edit

Dash Daemon + Sentinel Installation/Usage Documentation:
https://github.com/dashpay/sentinel/blob/master/README.md

Latest builds (v0.12.1.0-b9bd116) of v0.12.1.x branch

Linux --> https://bamboo.dash.org/browse/DASHL-DEV/latestSuccessful/artifact/JOB1/gitian-linux-dash-dist/
Windows --> https://bamboo.dash.org/browse/DASHW-DEV/latestSuccessful/artifact/JOB1/gitian-win-dash-dist/
MacOS X --> https://bamboo.dash.org/browse/DASHM-DEV/latestSuccessful/artifact/JOB1/gitian-osx-dash-dist/
Raspberry --> https://bamboo.dash.org/browse/DASHP-DEV/latestSuccessful/artifact/JOB1/gitian-RPi2-dash-dist/

Update.sh, put this in .dashcore to add automatic updating
https://gist.github.com/evan82/1ee7b15945a24b46eea74236cdff333f

Testnet tools (explorers, faucets, pools) --> https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/testnet-tools-resources.1768/

--

Thanks so much to everyone who helped with 12.1! This is been one of the largest undertakings of my professional career and it's amazing to work with such wonderful people. Thanks to Timothy, Udjin, Holger, Nathan, Andy, Node40, Tyler, AcidBurn.

edit by flare: updated CI links
edit by tungfa: Sentinel Installation
edit by flare: Fix Sentinel repo link

Last edited by a moderator:
v0.12.1.0-b9bd116
/Dash Core:0.12.1/
Windows 10, 64bit OS

I got a "synchronization failed" message during sync while it was at 25%, and then despite that error message it just continued syncing and is now fully synced. I synced from scratch by the way
(deleted everything but my wallet and dash.conf)

Edit : i got the same sync error on my second windows 64 wallet, syncing from scratch..... making it reproduceable.

urVdiWL.png

Last edited:
yhoExHfgoDzYxQ71sYiAZ1C6ufNnZd38aq

Play Ping Pong?
Post your tDASH addy to receive - send some to the above....

We'll do some more work on validation and styles but it's good to go for now.

I like it, but I don't like the fact that I have to enable JavaScript for code.jquery.com, ajax.googleapis.com, maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com and your site to create a simple proposal command.

Especially Google already knows way to much about everyone...

Reactions: AjM
I like it, but I don't like the fact that I have to enable JavaScript for code.jquery.com, ajax.googleapis.com, maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com and your site to create a simple proposal command.

Especially Google already knows way to much about everyone...

these can be easily changed by downloading and including the source into the app.

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "scripts/crontab.py", line 126, in <module>
    check_object_validity(dashd)
  File "scripts/crontab.py", line 90, in check_object_validity
    obj.vote_validity(dashd)
  File "scripts/../lib/governance_class.py", line 26, in vote_validity
    if self.is_valid(dashd):
  File "scripts/../lib/models.py", line 239, in is_valid
    if not dashlib.is_valid_dash_address(self.payment_address, config.network):
  File "scripts/../lib/dashlib.py", line 29, in is_valid_dash_address
    decoded = base58.b58decode_chk(address)
  File "scripts/../lib/base58.py", line 81, in b58decode_chk
    result = b58decode(v)
  File "scripts/../lib/base58.py", line 58, in b58decode
    result = chr(long_value) + result
OverflowError: Python int too large to convert to C long

Stuck in this step

Code:
cd /home/YOURUSERNAME/.dashcore/sentinel && venv/bin/python scripts/crontab.py

Ubuntu 14.04 x64
Any tips? :)

Thanks

Code:
    obj.vote_validity(dashd)
    if self.is_valid(dashd):
    result = b58decode(v)

Stuck in this step

Code:

Ubuntu 14.04 x64

Thanks

yah it's an invalid payment address string in one of the proposals breaking a base58 check...we will patch it shortly

Hi all
Just started mixing 1000 coins 8 rounds
:)

So how is the mixing going ? i come across a lot of session timed out and unknown response messages...

Also something to keep in mind while mixing : it will now need to mix with three users instead of just two users on Testnet.

Last edited:
Code:
    obj.vote_validity(dashd)
    if self.is_valid(dashd):
    result = b58decode(v)

Stuck in this step

Code:

Ubuntu 14.04 x64

Thanks

Thanks for the bug report, and sorry about that. Should be fixed in the most current version. Can you try again and post your results?

So how is the mixing going ? i come across a lot of session timed out and unknown response messages...

Also something to keep in mind while mixing : it will now need to mix with three users instead of just two users on Testnet.

Seems to have stopped for the last 30 minutes ill keep it going for a bit longer. I managed 1 round on 2 x 1 DASH.
I am also not seeing any status messages on the overview page to see what’s happening. (Just found the tab in options to turn this on)

Ha just had another PrivateSend Denominate come through 40 minutes between

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back