• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

11.2 - Dash Release

In this case it wasn't from mining, these addresses look much worse (way smaller/more transactions), I guess they wont work better with Darksend. But thanks for explanation.
One last question. Am I ok with stopping mixing in process, close the wallet and continue another day? Could this occure extra fee costs?

In this case it wasn't from mining, these addresses look much worse (way smaller/more transactions), I guess they wont work better with Darksend. But thanks for explanation.
Ah.. Then mixing them is logical. Now you sent them all to one address, the mixing should be easier. And for 2 dash to mix you won't get all 2 anonymized in your DS balance due to some fees and some change.
One last question. Am I ok with stopping mixing in process, close the wallet and continue another day?
Yes
Could this occure extra fee costs?
It shouldn't, if it does, complain to the devs. :)

could it be a problem when the "part"-wallets are to small? for example, before and after sending to the one new address

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/t...080a462dcf1a08f335098b00f0d1e90e248771c37.htm

Exactly.

meaby he was mining with p2pool so he had a lot of dust tx ;)

I know of few more situations :wink:

I think so. I can't remember exactly how Udjin explained this but this is inherited from the bitcoin codebase, something about small inputs aren't important in btc or something like that. It used to be worse when we first switched to the bitcoin core, it took forever for DS to mix and it kept getting "stuck"...

Also, I might be wrong but if you have the coins from mining they're almost like anonymous coins, I was told anonymizing them isn't necessary. UdjinM6 , what do you think?

Yep, some of really small inputs are considered as dust - it's just unreasonable to use them as you'll spend more on fees than transfer actual value.
But in that particular case I think he is hitting https://github.com/dashpay/dash/blob/master/src/wallet.cpp#L1634-L1635 which seems a bit obsolete now imo... Maybe we can finally drop (lower) it, I can't think of any old situation that it prevented from to happen right now and how this "if" could be helpful again... but maybe I'm missing smth... will investigate.

One last question. Am I ok with stopping mixing in process, close the wallet and continue another day? Could this occure extra fee costs?
You are ok to stop when it says "Darksend is idle". If you stop during "mixing" or "signing" or "waiting for others" etc you could be charged collateral fee (0.01 DASH) for interrupting mixing process.

I plan to buy a Mac for testing (so I don't have to ping poor UdjinM6 each time for testing :wink:) next weekend and may be able to track this one down.
I compiled with 4.8.6 first, recompiled with 5.4.1 now but same here - no bug for me.......
I even cloned from source to the completely new folder and recompiled with qt5 again there.. nothing... :confused:

Obviously I couldn't resist and am now a Mac owner :smile:

No idea how this beautiful piece of engineering works and I'm still in desperate search of the right mouse-button, but it offers a shell I can connect to via ssh, so it's all good.

Guess what's the very first software I installed?

Yep :grin:

And, the transactions tab looks fine, so it doesn't seem to be a bug.

For now.

Until proven otherwise...

Obviously I couldn't resist and am now a Mac owner :smile:

No idea how this beautiful piece of engineering works and I'm still in desperate search of the right mouse-button, but it offers a shell I can connect to via ssh, so it's all good.

Guess what's the very first software I installed?

Yep :grin:

And, the transactions tab looks fine, so it doesn't seem to be a bug.

For now.

Until proven otherwise...

Congrats! :smile:

PS. Ctrl + click :wink:

Congrats! :smile:

PS. Ctrl + click :wink:

Also two fingered tap on trackpad.

I've figured it out my "bug" BTW. Crowning saying he was using a mouse reminded me I've had a similar scrollbar issue in the past designing a website.
So to replicate:
No mouse plugged in. OSX Settings > General> Show scroll bars > Automatically based on mouse or trackpad. Open Dash wallet. Transactions scrollbar obscures last digit.
Close wallet. Change setting to always show scrollbars > VIOLA! looks correct.

So it's an OSX quirk not your fine developing skills.

I had 20 dash left that needed one more round to make 8 rounds but DS kept saying "Submitted to masternode: waiting in queue...", then "Darksend is idle...", then "Mixing is in progress.."..., then back to "Submitted to masternode: waiting in queue..." for a long while... like an infinite loop... So I just clicked on "Try Mix" and right away got slapped with a "Darksend Collateral Payment' for 0.01 dash!!! (Not to mention already got a ton of collateral fees!) The good thing is it got the wallet moving to finish the rounds on the 20 dash, plus it started to split up a significant change amount into smaller denoms... But why this collateral fee penalty?? UGH!

I had 20 dash left that needed one more round to make 8 rounds but DS kept saying "Submitted to masternode: waiting in queue...", then "Darksend is idle...", then "Mixing is in progress.."..., then back to "Submitted to masternode: waiting in queue..." for a long while... like an infinite loop... So I just clicked on "Try Mix" and right away got slapped with a "Darksend Collateral Payment' for 0.01 dash!!! (Not to mention already got a ton of collateral fees!) The good thing is it got the wallet moving to finish the rounds on the 20 dash, plus it started to split up a significant change amount into smaller denoms... But why this collateral fee penalty?? UGH!

So what exactly is the "Try Mix" button supposed to do? I've never clicked it.

So what exactly is the "Try Mix" button supposed to do? I've never clicked it.
If you hover over the Try Mix button you'll see it says "Try to manually submit a Darksend request." It helps to make the mixing moving when for some reason DS seems getting stuck. And in such a case we don't want to press the Stop/Start button because we might interrupt the process and get penalized. I've used the "Try Mix" button many times and never got a collateral because of it until now for clicking on it just one time, very strange.

Yep and nope. :smile: Yep, because you sending many inputs and they are technically saying mixing together too. Nope, because mixing with your own outputs only instead of waiting for 3rd participant doesn't really help - it would be just the same as 2 participants mixing instead of 3 and therefore a lot less secure.
I didn't think DS would mix its own inputs together but just wanted to check with you on this. How about if you have two or more wallets on the same computer/connection and they mix with each other? (I've tested this on testnet, it happened.) I guess it depends on users' discretion because DS can't see the difference?
Regarding "the shortest rounds 'chain'": DS rounds basically means how many mixing txes I can found scanning from that input back in history that are "chained" together. So 2 rounds means I can find one mixing tx and another one next to it and next after it will be non-mixing one. Same for 5 rounds but the "chain" is longer.
Ah.. Thanks for clarifying this.
ot even more collaterals and that's ok if you have them ~ at every 10th mixing https://github.com/dashpay/dash/commit/ecd37e134eb1690fb008229b4f93a3ef5c6c66f9 - they are 10 times lower since 0.11.2: 0.1 DASH -> 0.01 DASH (but charging more often)
Regarding locket inputs - are they still locked after you hit "Stop Mixing"?
I'm having some locked inputs again, and like the last time, they are not unlocked after I pressed the "Stop Mixing" button. I clicked on "Start", the inputs aren't unlocked either and Darksend went into idle. Then pressed on "Try Mix" a few times, nothing would budge, DS is still on idle. I know for certain that this needs a restart of the wallet.

Edit: I manually unlocked these inputs in the Coin Control. Now DS can submit them to mns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't think DS would mix its own inputs together but just wanted to check with you on this. How about if you have two or more wallets on the same computer/connection and they mix with each other? (I've tested this on testnet, it happened.) I guess it depends on users' discretion because DS can't see the difference?
Yep, that's how I test DS too :smile: Technically they are different wallets on different connections (IP is the same but port is different) and they can run different mixing sessions on different MNs at the same time.
I'm having some locked inputs again, and like the last time, they are not unlocked after I pressed the "Stop Mixing" button. I clicked on "Start", the inputs aren't unlocked either and Darksend went into idle. Then pressed on "Try Mix" a few times, nothing would budge, DS is still on idle. I know for certain that this needs a restart of the wallet.

Edit: I manually unlocked these inputs in the Coin Control. Now DS can submit them to mns.
Hmm.... I believed it should unlock and if it doesn't happen on button click it should unlock on timeout... :confused: Well, I guess we need to review this part of code... :oops: Thanks for pointing it out!

UdjinM6 - My wallet got the coins anonymized with 8 rounds... the progress bar said 100%, so I figured it was done and closed the wallet, that was a few hours ago. Now I just opened the wallet and it says only 79% is complete, to my surprise a bunch of the denominated inputs are back at 7 rounds. What happened?? lol....

A pesky bug just ate the Darksend rounds???!!!! :grin:

UdjinM6 - My wallet got the coins anonymized with 8 rounds... the progress bar said 100%, so I figured it was done and closed the wallet, that was a few hours ago. Now I just opened the wallet and it says only 79% is complete, to my surprise a bunch of the denominated inputs are back at 7 rounds. What happened?? lol....

A pesky bug just ate the Darksend rounds???!!!! :grin:
Progress calculation (i.e. denominated/anonymized input count) is not perfect in some edge cases now. Should be better in 0.12 (at least I hope so :tongue:) https://github.com/dashpay/dash/commit/6e229e16ff0ddac5c98c49a6e772d572239d3d2c

Nope. Ok, let me give you an example. Suppose your MN has an dash address A you set it to donate 50 (%) to dash address B. So what will happen?
After some time passed your MN was chosen as a winner few times and FULL MN payment amount went to A, B, A, A, B, A, B, B. So it's 50% on average but whole MN payment was redirected or not in every single point of time.

When address B receives a donation, there isn't a way to determine that the donation was from address A, right? Donation addresses are paid directly from the network, so the masternode donating the funds never *touches* it. The reason I'm asking is because I started playing around with a 100% donation. In doing so, I realized I can't determine when a masternode is paid.

If I'm sending the donation to myself, I have a record of funds recevied, so it's not a big deal. But in thinking about the future, what if I want to setup a donation to a not-for-profit like the DASH foundation. In the fiat world, I can take a tax deduction for charitable giving by handing over proof of payment to my accountant. For masternode donations, I don't have a way to prove that I have donated anything.

When address B receives a donation, there isn't a way to determine that the donation was from address A, right? Donation addresses are paid directly from the network, so the masternode donating the funds never *touches* it. The reason I'm asking is because I started playing around with a 100% donation. In doing so, I realized I can't determine when a masternode is paid.

If I'm sending the donation to myself, I have a record of funds recevied, so it's not a big deal. But in thinking about the future, what if I want to setup a donation to a not-for-profit like the DASH foundation. In the fiat world, I can take a tax deduction for charitable giving by handing over proof of payment to my accountant. For masternode donations, I don't have a way to prove that I have donated anything.
While we're waiting for this to be resolved, I think you can back up your donation proof by a monthly written receipt from the donee(s), and a screenshot of your address or addresses on dashninja.pl showing that you're the owner of those donations.

While we're waiting for this to be resolved, I think you can back up your donation proof by a monthly written receipt from the donee(s), and a screenshot of your address or addresses on dashninja.pl showing that you're the owner of those donations.

But the donee(s) (address B in the example above) doesn't know who the donation is coming from. So they really can't provide a monthly written receipt.

But the donee(s) (address B in the example above) doesn't know who the donation is coming from. So they really can't provide a monthly written receipt.
Oh.. you're right. I think this donation design is only for anonymous donors who do not care about this part of their tax deductions. It's better off if you do the donation the other way. Plus now the voting has been passed the devs are probably busy implementing another way to pay for our devs than just donation.

Yes, you get it right - technically donation is just a result of swapping MN address with corresponding donation address so there is no trace of original MN address left in the blockchain now.

Yes, you get it right - technically donation is just a result of swapping MN address with corresponding donation address so there is no trace of original MN address left in the blockchain now.

Thanks for entertaining my questions. This is all getting to be very interesting, especially in light of the regulatory proposals in the U.S. (especially New York and California). Crypto is certainly moving too fast for the regulators to keep up with.

Thanks for entertaining my questions. This is all getting to be very interesting, especially in light of the regulatory proposals in the U.S. (especially New York and California). Crypto is certainly moving too fast for the regulators to keep up with.
37610131.jpg

Back