• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

2nd Tier Lite Nodes

Sapereaude

Actually that happened in quite a few projects, high profile crypto projects. Devs that abandoned some projects started others that were much more successful.

InTheWoods
Yes, I know that.
But for voting we need a masternode, not a full nodes.

If the price for place a masternode not decrease, this system advantage the first users.
Because, the first miners have collected 1.6 millions dash in 48 hours.
After 2-3 month they place a lot of masternodes for nothing.
After they place the price at 1000 dash, so no real news masternodes create quickly.
And with the rewards, they create news masternodes.

After, all masternodes belong at a small group of persons.
In this case, it's very easy to past any vote.

And if the price not change for one masternode in the futur, it's clearly a oligarch system.
But if the price for one masternode is placed at 100 dash, more people can create news masternodes.

It's just my opinion.
And I'm a owner of masternodes.

Sapereaude

Actually that happened in quite a few projects, high profile crypto projects. Devs that abandoned some projects started others that were much more successful.

To date I know of no clone\fork that has anywhere the marketcap of the original project including bitcoin or are you meaning that evan is going to leave dash to start on another project?

sangoku

I think Lite Nodes could solve that problem. Have a very low LIte Node requirement of say $100 or $50 worth of DASH pegged to USD (adjust it once every 6 months) or something. These $50/$100 nodes could handle certain tasks and have fractional voting power, say 1/10 or 1/100 of a masternode for example. It would also be wise to peg the masternode requirement to USD as well.

To date I know of no clone\fork that has anywhere the marketcap of the original project including bitcoin or are you meaning that evan is going to leave dash to start on another project?
Guess you haven't been around that long or haven't paid attention. There are a few.

For example Counterparty which is a Mastercoin fork. The main Counterparty dev worked on Mastercoin initially, forked Mastercoin and started Counterparty as one man show. Everybody laughed but he had the last laugh eventually. Counterparty devs were recruited by Overstock and Counterparty kinda`went sideways now but you get the point.

Charles Hoskinson left Bitshares to create a new project. Vitalik Buterin left Mastercoin to create a new project. These two guys created Ethereum together.

InTheWoods

That's a good idea.
I think for the new users.
Dash must be a great adventure for them too.
And the price should not stop them in this adventure "masternodes, decentralised gouvernance,..."

IMHO, I still do not see a plausible justification for the OP's proposal (at least not by now).

I do not intend to engage in further debates in this thread, as I have already made my opinion clear at https://dashtalk.org/threads/governance-question.7725

For me, the implementation of such idea must depend exclusively on technical demands (and not on politically correct welfare inclusionisms).

As long as:
  • The network really needs the feature (maybe in a future situation);
  • The micro-nodes comply with their expected duties.
All right for me. What I am against is a welfare scheme created to "please" small stakeholders, with no practical and tangible benefits to the whole network.

IMHO, I still do not see a plausible justification for the OP's proposal (at least not by now).
For me, the implementation of such idea must depend exclusively on technical demands (and not on politically correct welfare inclusionisms).

Proposal:
Adding feature of fractional voting for all users who locks somehow(?) their DASH in collateral for a let's say a month

PROS:
1) DASH will be the first cryptocurrency which supports direct decentralized governance and budgeting by all its users. Ultimate inclusion, participation and addiction (like drugs :smile:). This can lead to huge resonance in media.
2) It incentivises new users to come in the network (to buy DASH) and that leads to marketcap go up. USD Investements and rewards of masternodes, miners and developers goes up.
3) DASH developers now better know what their users (the whole community, not only MNs) really want to be implemented first, second and so on.
4) Better decision making by attracting more active people to voting, creating proposals and budgeting.
5) Developers, masternodes and miners could get more fees (rewards) in case of fractional voting for users (not for MNs) would be taxed.

CONS:
1) Difficulties to implement such system (Lite nodes needed?)
2) ?

Guess you haven't been around that long or haven't paid attention. There are a few.

For example Counterparty which is a Mastercoin fork. The main Counterparty dev worked on Mastercoin initially, forked Mastercoin and started Counterparty as one man show. Everybody laughed but he had the last laugh eventually. Counterparty devs were recruited by Overstock and Counterparty kinda`went sideways now but you get the point.

Charles Hoskinson left Bitshares to create a new project. Vitalik Butherin left Mastercoin to create a new project. These two guys created Ethereum together.

Just look where mastercoin and counterparty are now, failed projects surviving only because some miners trying to break even on their rigs. While your looking down at failed projects check out or quark,worldcoin,primecoin, paycoin,vertcoin etc and all thier clones and forks. I have been around for a long time 90% of coins are just temporary pump and dumps and I'd argue it is just a matter of time for ETH as well.

I'm gonna abandon this thread before I start channeling *with affection* camosoul.

sangoku

I think Lite Nodes could solve that problem. Have a very low LIte Node requirement of say $100 or $50 worth of DASH pegged to USD (adjust it once every 6 months) or something. These $50/$100 nodes could handle certain tasks and have fractional voting power, say 1/10 or 1/100 of a masternode for example. It would also be wise to peg the masternode requirement to USD as well.

I think you'll find, what you call "lite nodes" is actually the third tier that Evan talks about in his latest Evolution presentation. Take a look at it.

With Evolution, it's not just usernames with bells.. it's effectively an advanced distributed plugable API and messaging system for third party developers. If I understand it correctly, future functionality will largely grow and evolve through this third tier (instead of building stuff directly into the core). I may have this wrong so someone should correct me. But anyway, the point is, your vote will be in your use (or not) of this third tier.

I think it's going to take a few months for us to get a grasp of what is possible with Evolution, so I think wait and see.

Just look where mastercoin and counterparty are now, failed projects surviving only because some miners trying to break even on their rigs. While your looking down at failed projects check out or quark,worldcoin,primecoin, paycoin,vertcoin etc and all thier clones and forks. I have been around for a long time 90% of coins are just temporary pump and dumps and I'd argue it is just a matter of time for ETH as well.

I'm gonna abandon this thread before I start channeling *with affection* camosoul.

Sapereaude

Haha. You really haven't been around long have you. Those two are not even mineable coins. No one is mining Mastercoin or Counterparty. They are both using the Bitcoin blockchain.

Counterparty was very successful until Overstock, which was present at this current Bitcoin Miami conference, recruited their devs. The counterparty devs are now working to create the first blockchain for issuing securities in the US. http://www.coindesk.com/overstock-hires-counterparty-developers-build-cryptosecurity-stock-exchange/

Mastercoin was also top 5 coin at some point ($100mil market cap higher than DASH), after Counterparty forked them they went downhill. Ethereum and others appeared as a result of Mastercoin as explained in my earlier post.

That assumes that every investor wants to vote or has the technical ability to vote (I really hate the idea of making the network idiot friendly) and its a free market so you can negotiate with the other owners or suppliers of shared masternode services can offer different options for customers. It's hard to justify complicated protocol changes just to make it easier for small investors.

Someone should take away your voting powers since you're obviously not very knowledgeable. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'll find, what you call "lite nodes" is actually the third tier that Evan talks about in his latest Evolution presentation. Take a look at it.

With Evolution, it's not just usernames with bells.. it's effectively an advanced distributed plugable API and messaging system for third party developers. If I understand it correctly, future functionality will largely grow and evolve through this third tier (instead of building stuff directly into the core). I may have this wrong so someone should correct me. But anyway, the point is, your vote will be in your use (or not) of this third tier.

I think it's going to take a few months for us to get a grasp of what is possible with Evolution, so I think wait and see.

I wrote this in my first post: Naming these nodes 3rd tier can cause some confusion because 3rd tier application will be hosted on top of the 2nd tier of masternodes at a later date which will just make things confusing.

Third tier apps are to be built on top of what Evan called the 2nd tier masternode network. This is software layer not another hardware layer of nodes. Lite Nodes would be a parallel 2nd tier.

Mastercoin/Counterparty did the same thing years ago just that on the bitcon blockchain which wasn't a very good idea in retrospect http://bitzuma.com/posts/op-return-and-the-future-of-bitcoin/

Dash has a very sturdy and fast network on which it can build as compared to the bitcoin blockchain.

I'm broke as hell and I operate masternodes. Less than 3 more than 1. The first one was collectively purchased with 2 friends of mine. *(it was not cheap). Everybody complaining about the cost of masternodes needs to forget about that shit and start saving. Convince your friends it's worth their 1000 bucks.

Why should we attempt to fix a clock that isnt broken? Is that how it goes? Voting is a privilege, the people who get to vote have earned that. If you want to be a part of this so called rich high society get off your butt, work and save some money... you think it's to late now? Wait 2 years see how late it is.

Edit
"Convince your friends it's worth their 1000 bucks." - what I mean by that is get 5 people to get or 2, or 3 and create some kind of agreement to invest in a masternode.

I'm broke as hell and I operate masternodes. Less than 3 more than 1. The first one was collectively purchased with 2 friends of mine. *(it was not cheap). Everybody complaining about the cost of masternodes needs to forget about that shit and start saving. Convince your friends it's worth their 1000 bucks.

Why should we attempt to fix a clock that isnt broken? Is that how it goes? Voting is a privilege, the people who get to vote have earned that. If you want to be a part of this so called rich high society get off your butt, work and save some money... you think it's to late now? Wait 2 years see how late it is.

Edit
"Convince your friends it's worth their 1000 bucks." - what I mean by that is get 5 people to get or 2, or 3 and create some kind of agreement to invest in a masternode.

I have answered you here https://dashtalk.org/threads/governance-question.7725/page-6

Improved how? When you buy into a sharenode you get the same return on investment as the guy with 50 nodes, there is no need to change the security or the protocol of system since both small and large investors get rewarded on their investment. One just has more money and making smaller nodes won't change that.

As for forking, no one is going to abandon this development team to invest in some unknown guys who have learned how to copy and paste....
Fractional voting system may hurt your pride.
You must know every complex detail of this system and this very idea giving voting power to those ignorant peasants make you sick.
But 1 DASH to be 1000$ or more, It should have fractional voting system.
Otherwise people will not buy DASH when they think it is TOO expensive. (max 1dash = 10$?)
Since there is no way small holders can participate in decision making, new comers feel they are ignored and DASH will not perform as a store of value but as a unit of account and that means DASH will never make great!

What do you want? You want preserve your small privilege and ego or want make some serious money?

P.S No offense and I'm buying DASH. INSTANT X , EVOLUTION... with more balanced governance system, I can see great great potential in DASH.

Sorry for bad English from S.korea.

Back