• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

What's Going on at Dash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Evolution delays (still no MVP? WTF?) continue, what do you think about replacing the Core team with IOHK? They are doing a great job with Ethereum Classic and Cardano, plus their new Liquid Democracy governance protocol looks amazing.

IMO, Evolution would be done or nearly done by now if we had hired IOHK to do it in the first place. They wouldn't still be dicking around with trying to solve UX and namespace land grab problems as old as the internet, just to look busy while burning copious amounts of Dash...

I'm a little ambivalent. OTOH we're starting to finally see some actual work being done, but you're right, it's taken all this time and they still haven't got to grips with the namespace. After watching the latest demo, I'm surprised they're even considering number suffixes as an option. Just seems a bit lame to me. And depending on some newfangled pricing model also seems weak. Leveraging the existing DNS system would open up a whole new attack vector. All in all, I can see two options; we either get Evolution this year with a weak namepsace, or we get a good namespace and Evolution doesn't come out until next year. Either way, it's not looking good. They could, of course, collaborate with an existing namespace solution, but I sense there is too much pride for that to happen.

I'm a little out of the loop at the moment, I will look into the Liquid Democracy thing.

Hello Dash Community,

In the spirit of radical transparency: area updates from our bi-weekly management meetings. In this way, you can follow the evolution of our organization and decision-making, as well as our product development. We hope you use this information to hold us accountable to our plans, learn with us, and contribute to our growth as an open-source, decentralized autonomous organization.

Of note, some elements are redacted, such as Business Development. We do not publicize ongoing activities with our partners. We will continue to announce partnerships through separate press releases.

We are still working through testing for 12.3.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Iid8QgKQn2oCD7UlWORnok142I072r62/view?usp=sharing

Attachments

• What's Going on at Dash Core Group 05152018.pdf
    387.8 KB · Views: 217
So I looked at Rewards.com. That's some truly lame, cheesy retrograde garbage and the opposite direction of how the world's first true Digital Cash should be positioning itself in the marketplace.
Rewards.com buys consumer data for pennies and then uses it to create digital profiles to help advertisers data-rape witless plebs. Is that the image and use case we want Dash associated with?
It gets worse. This obnoxious consultant jargon is meaningless MBA-speak, signifying nothing other than money being burned:

"Roadmapping?" Whoever decided that the perfectly good noun "roadmap" should be used as a verb needs to taken out and shot for creating that godawful neologism.
Dead-end circle-jerking do-nothing fad management ideas like these are where good projects go to die. Agility training is for fancy little dogs, not proper developers.

How many times have we seen basically the exact same vapid, content-free report? "We hired some people, blah, blah, muh agile methods, blah blah, keep sending us more money kthxbai." Every. Single. Time.

@kot Care to elaborate on @Dashcoiner's concerns? He feels that further explanation is needed. One post up ^^^

I mentioned to another community member who's in contact with you @Alexander Chopan that Dash should really add an Ecosystem section to dash.org as ecosystem.dash.org to really bring together all the disparate community projects under one roof so there's less confusion and wasted effort around projects that either fly under the radar or where the work simply gets done twice.

I really hope this is something that gets put together for the website revamp/ re-launch. A good example for something we should aim for is https://ecosystem.iota.org/

It's time to start uniting all the disparate parts of the decentralized Dash community. Just because we're decentralized doesn't mean we shouldn't work together and know what everyone else is working on.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and I very strongly agree with @jeffh.

It is necessary that we have a go-to place to send people when they want to learn about dash which is of course dash.org -yet for it to be an effective destination it needs to have up to date and accurate (updated monthly or even weekly) information about community funded projects since that is so much of Dash's story. It directly reflects the values of Dash. How much value does Dash place in it's community? The community IS Dash :) It is literally it's identity.

Moreover, the community is Dash's human element. It's exciting. It's interesting. It's what is unique to Dash. Talk to me all you want about confirmation times and second tiers and privacy features, until someone comes along with even more privacy, or even faster confirmation times, etc. But who else has a mobilized team around the globe receiving millions in funding every month in a completely democratic process? Who else has a multi-year head start in building a thriving DAO which, by the way, is the first in the history of humanity. In my opinion it is this, and not transaction times or evolution, that is most central to Dash's story. Transaction times could shoot up to three hours, evolution could never see the light of day, and the DAO would march on. Think about that for a second. Evolution, digital cash adoption, these are but missions of the DAO. But should those missions fail, the DAO has the ability to pivot, to become anything, to pursue any objective. It's success rests solely on empowering itself, which is it's community and it's process. It's ability to steer itself. It's ability to increase its own effectiveness. Despite the fact that we have a mobilized team around the globe, I do think we have an effectiveness problem. Nothing we do seems to gain us market share or increase transaction volume. We need leadership directing proposal owners to be more effective.

What role does Dash.org play, as Dash's de facto internet destination, in empowering the community behind Dash, in helping steer the global ship, in achieving greater effectiveness for the project and organization as a whole which of course includes the entire community.

Dash becomes more effective if the projects it funds receive more exposure. Dash becomes more effective if marketing proposals build shared assets like email lists. Look at how the Golem project works: thousands of computers from all over the world plug in to process a single task. They can complete in a minute what used to take a day. How big would Dash's email list be if ALL marketing proposals were building it, including Ben Swann, Strike Social, etc. What if part of the Fan Duel deal helped optionally sign people up to an email list if they wanted Dash updates. Fan Duel would agree because they're getting half a million dollars and would only have to add an email signup form. We could accomplish in a month what would take years. We need a role within leadership thinking explicitly about how to leverage the decentralized nature of the project to accomplish in a month what would take years. It starts with clearly defining our goals as a decentralized organization and then communicating with proposal owners what our goals are and asking how they can help further them and building those into the proposals from the beginning. Is building an email list one of our goals? Is increasing transactions one of our goals? Is pure branding (i.e. logo on a video) one of our goals? Is distribution one of our goals? Goals can be discussed as a community and and then voted on to become defined. Then they become a checklist for proposal owners to check off. Increasing transactions? check. Gathering emails? check. Pure branding? check. An "evaluation" team could be dedicated to the forum to help proposal owners align with these clearly defined goals before they submit their proposal. This could make Dash more effective. We need to invest in our process. How can we better accomplish our goals? What even are our goals? How can a decentralized organization operate effectively without clearly defined goals? Honestly sometimes we feel like a bunch of chickens running around with our heads cut off. Sorry for the gruesome analogy but I see so much potential in Dash if we could just get a few upgrades to our process like explicit goal definition and communication of said goals to proposal owners and proposal evaluation according to alignment with those defined goals.

Getting back to the content thing, we experimented with the concept of community project support via content integrations paired with advertising resources with Dash informer. We put up information about community projects as they launched. Proposal owners reached out to us regularly, and felt supported to know that once their project was off the ground, information about it would appear on some main destination that has some advertising resources behind it to get the word out. We're still happy to provide these content integrations, but putting advertising resources behind it was central to the strategy and most of the value proposition for proposal owners and at this time we have no intentions to submit more advertising proposals because we are are confident that money can be spent more effectively as our efforts were not directly impacting market share or transaction volume so we deemed them ineffective and decided to pause, reevaluate how we can be truly effective, and formulate a plan to move forward. Although the advertising is paused for now, we hope to have contributed conceptually to what a Dash destination can be.

Dash.org is the central place people send other people to learn about Dash. It seems only logical that a section of the site would include accurate updates regarding the launch and existence of community funded project that expands the ecosystem and get people excited about it. Done right, people might even return to the site regularly. There's power in that.

But really we do need a way to clearly define our goals as a DAO & a checklist for proposal owners, real thought leadership on how we can accomplish our goals in a month as opposed to a year (the true power of the DAO), cooperation across the proposal ecosystem to accomplish those goals. Dash.org has an opportunity to reflect the values of the community and steer the ship. It can be an exciting destination filled with exciting updates and calls to action to get involved with clearly defined goals.

If we can really get it right, not confirmation times, not evolution, if we can really get the DAO right... holy hell. Look out world. It would be the fastest growing organization to have ever existed.

Clearly defined goals. A central (gasp!) web presence that reflects and empowers the community in meaningful ways to accomplish those goals. What's more important than that?

Last edited:
Interesting post and ideas!

Think about that for a second. Evolution, digital cash adoption, these are but missions of the DAO.

Agreed. This should be highlighted somewhere so everyone can be reminded.

We need a role within leadership thinking explicitly about how to leverage the decentralized nature of the project to accomplish in a month what would take years
we do need a way to clearly define our goals as a DAO

It does sound interesting to have "someone" directing goals for the project. But that makes me think, could we "have goals" in a more decentralized way? Now that would be really interesting!

One idea (not new) is to allow the ability for a MNO to post a bounty for a project they want completed (heck why not allow non-MNO's to propose bounties). Right now we have contractors proposing work for the network, but we could use the other side - the network proposing bounties for work desired (AKA goals):

A person could either (1) put up a "bounty" himself (putting up his own money, or allowing others to contribute) for accomplishing a goal (say: collect X amount of email addresses from people interested in Y in Z part of the world, idk), or maybe even better (2) if it is useful network-wide, propose a goal that MN's could vote on and if it passes approval, the bounty would come out of the budget (if a contractor fulfills it, according to the manager/perhaps the initial bounty-proposer).

Either way that lets ideas for "goals" come more organically from any community member who has an idea for the network and allowing any other community member to complete it, instead of just one person or small group deciding "the goals" for the network.

But actually, I mean, there's nothing really stopping us from having both. The Dash DAO could hire an "executive goal making" group, as well as create a system to allow anyone to propose bounties ("goals").

Interesting post and ideas!

It does sound interesting to have "someone" directing goals for the project. But that makes me think, could we "have goals" in a more decentralized way? Now that would be really interesting!

I agree completely. What makes the most sense to me is either using the treasury system, or an offshoot of it that doesn't utilize any of the budget, to allow people to submit goals and MNOs to vote on their adoption.

Goals could even have pre-proposal discussions :)

Last edited:
@kot @Ryan Taylor

About Dash Venture

I suggest that Dash venture, should be called Dash Venture Capital - Dash VC
If you look at google searches, those keywords are better. SEO etc.

We have to remember that ripple just announced something similar, they take us advantage.

In addition, the phrase worldwide is descriptive.
I am very excited about this project, I will present it as a scoop at conferences in Spain.

@feedbands we've got something we're working on for Dash Nexus that's along the lines of what you described. Needs a bit more work before we present something but we're definitely on the same page in regards to trying to align the community and work towards common goals rather than just a disparate assortment of half-baked ideas.

@kot Care to elaborate on @Dashcoiner's concerns? He feels that further explanation is needed. One post up ^^^

Which concerns do you think should I address? That he doesn't like the report? I am pretty sure that not everyone will like it.
We created and published this report to inform community about current status of work, not to create artificial view of the project status in order to satisfy expectations of every single person.
Well... I would love to see many things going faster, better and less complicated. But the reality doesn't want to fulfil my wishes ;).

PS. I also know that my language isn't perfect. But I don't care tbh - I'm not a writer or TV presenter. My job is to resolve problems of the company, not to shine with perfect grammar.

@kot @Ryan Taylor

About Dash Venture

I suggest that Dash venture, should be called Dash Venture Capital - Dash VC

We have to remember that ripple just announced something similar, they take us advantage.

In addition, the phrase worldwide is descriptive.
I am very excited about this project, I will present it as a scoop at conferences in Spain.

This is interesting suggestion. We will take this into consideration. Thank you

Here's a good example from the Sia team on how to do a postmortem - https://mtlynch.io/sia-minio-postmortem/

You must be joking, Sia is one of the worst examples in Crypto you could have choosen, they don't care one bit about their roadmap, things take many times longer and everything is overpromised and underdelivered (which is not good for the hype factor for crazy investors that will drop the coin down down down): https://blog.spaceduck.io/dont-trust-the-roadmap/

Not saying Dash does great when it comes to roadmaps, but it usually overdelivers and underpromises (which is great for software, maybe not so great for crypto, where everything is hype and investor speculation based). The delivery dates suck, yes, welcome to software development.

You must be joking, Sia is one of the worst examples in Crypto you could have choosen, they don't care one bit about their roadmap, things take many times longer and everything is overpromised and underdelivered (which is not good for the hype factor for crazy investors that will drop the coin down down down): https://blog.spaceduck.io/dont-trust-the-roadmap/

Not saying Dash does great when it comes to roadmaps, but it usually overdelivers and underpromises (which is great for software, maybe not so great for crypto, where everything is hype and investor speculation based). The delivery dates suck, yes, welcome to software development.

I said nothing about Sia's roadmap and merely mentioned that what I linked was a good example of a postmortem.

I don't know where you're getting this idea that Dash Core "over-delivers and under-promises" from. My initial request for a postmortem was in regards to a delivery date for 12.3 which is now 1.5 months late when it was supposed to be ~ one week away at the time with no explanation for the delay.

Bumping this thread.

It has been additional two weeks now since last post. If crypto is taking its seasonal summer party outbreak will dash be there with some announcement to follow the boom?
How is evolution coming and were are the updates? (or did I just miss them?)

Bumping this thread.

It has been additional two weeks now since last post. If crypto is taking its seasonal summer party outbreak will dash be there with some announcement to follow the boom?
How is evolution coming and were are the updates? (or did I just miss them?)

There was an update 3 days ago. See post #44 in this thread.

Last edited:
@Blajde - please note we are not doing anything in this project for booms, announcements and general excitement. I know it is a main driver in many crypto projects (to create pump), however we are far away from such "strategy". Our goal is to deliver the best blockchain-based payments platform - nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Sounds like we are on the same page w/r/t the need for hiring a Dash Community Coordinator ASAP. As the Dash orchestra grows, we need a conductor so the community can look to a single point of reference for guidance on things like marketing, conduct, and holding scam projects accountable for the Dash they stole via fraud.

"Dash-Coin, er?" /s ☺

Hello everyone:), I have seen Dash as one of the most vital currencies in the crypto market day by day keeps expanding. This period around, the digital currency has been added to Rewards.com, pleasing users for normal retail purchases in Dash. By this users can purchase via Rewards.com with DASH currency. ;)

This was the very recent one... Even Ultimez Technology has integrated:rolleyes: crypto web services as a payment option for people crazy about cryptos, especially DASH.

DASH is in trend with a poke up of performing at a good level! :D

Hello Dash Community,

In the spirit of radical transparency: area updates from our bi-weekly management meetings. In this way, you can follow the evolution of our organization and decision-making, as well as our product development. We hope you use this information to hold us accountable to our plans, learn with us, and contribute to our growth as an open-source, decentralized autonomous organization. Of note, some elements are redacted, such as Business Development. We do not publicize ongoing activities with our partners. We will continue to announce partnerships through separate press releases.

We are still working through testing for 12.3 and will get it out as soon as feasible.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JXY-Yj5aIXKN1dCHC1KwoEdXElZm74qj/view?usp=sharing

Attachments

• What's Going on at DCG 05282018.pdf
    215.2 KB · Views: 227
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back