• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

What is the Worst Scamcoin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Mason

What is the Worst Scamcoin?

If you’re involved in the cryptocurrency world for even a few minutes you’ll quickly hear the word “scamcoin” (or its rougher cousin “shitcoin”). Anytime a new coin is launched, some Reddit warrior or forum crusader will declare the coin a scamcoin, then sit back, satisfied he’s enacted Internet justice. Even after a coin has been around for a long time and proven it has staying power (*cough* Dash *cough*) brigades may still command anyone who will listen—and even to mom upstairs—to avoid this “scamcoin.” It’s almost a rite of passage in the crypto world.

But what actually is a “scamcoin?” Essentially, a scamcoin is a currency that enriches those who create or maintain it, while impoverishing those who hold it. For example, say I were to create a new coin, creatively named “Scamcoin.” I set aside one million Scamcoins for myself, then I release it to the world. I pump its value via creative marketing and false claims, making each Scamcoin worth $1. I then dump it, cashing out a cool $1 million, and end all association with Scamcoin. I, as the creator, was enriched, but the suckers who wanted to use the coin are left with a worthless token.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back