• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Weird unknown transaction showing with good transaction - Have I been hacked?

yep, make sure you pasted correctly your address in there

I didn't do this when I sent the original 10 coins back in May so from what I am understanding it sent my entire wallet balance to the blockchain and I got sent back everything but the 10 that were used in the transaction...but what I got sent back got sent to a new address which was still mine but I didn't know it yet....

I have read the links you sent and I am still confused. To you it is not, but to me it is. i want to understand it, i really do but it is hard for me to get it. I want to make sure this doesn't happen again so what are the best practices I need to do at this point? The next time I want to pay for something with dash, I don't want to have this happen again. I am still unclear exactly what happened and how to prevent it. I am sure the links you sent explained it but I am struggling here.

TLDR

You should never use copies of the same "wallet.dat" in more than one computer/wallet client, in parallel (unless you know what you are doing)... each client has got it's own wallet.dat is the safer way to do it. There are more details there, but you will get them with time and research.

Sorry if I am not very didactic this time :) (I have been doing thousands of things at the same time these last days...)

TLDR

You should never use copies of the same "wallet.dat" in more than one computer/wallet client, in parallel (unless you know what you are doing)... each client has got it's own wallet.dat is the safer way to do it. There are more details there, but you will get them with time and research.

Sorry if I am not very didactic this time :) (I have been doing thousands of things at the same time these last days...)

You've been great and you shouldn't have to be didactic. It is my job to do the research and read how the crypto currency works. You have great documentation and please don't apologize. I should know more about it if I want to be involved with it. I was just scared I had lost my coins. This has been a good learning experience for me and thanks for your help and the others here. It is really appreciated.

Ahh, having 2 computers with a separate copy of one wallet for each of them explains it all!

First, here are few important things to note:
1) when you start to use your wallet it generates 1000 random pairs of (private key; public key) - it's called a keypool.
2) there is no balance in blockchain, there is only inputs and outputs - txes say how many coins went from inputs to outputs and balance is a calculated value.
3) because of (2) almost every time you sent a tx you can't match the amount you want to send to exact sum of some of your inputs, so wallet picks some whose sum is greater than the amount you want to send and that's why there is a change almost every time.
4) now because there is a change and it should go somewhere wallet picks first of the 1000 addresses from keypool (1) and sends change there.
5) at the very same time wallet generates new random key pair and puts it at the end of keypool so that there is always 1000 keys in reserve (keypool is used to get "receive addresses" too btw).

So, now let's go back to what happened to you.
You had wallet.dat which held some 1000 keys in its keypool at some point of a time and you copied it to another machine. First 1000 or so transactions you were completely fine because both of your machines were using keys/addresses from keypool BUT from the very first tx you made after you copied wallets they started filling their keypools with completely different new random key pairs. After all common keypairs were used one of your wallets used his newly generated key pair which second wallet had no idea about. And that is your "weird" tx.

Back