• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Weird unknown transaction showing with good transaction - Have I been hacked?

dash_user

I hadn't opened my Dash wallet in maybe 6 months or so until I opened it in May 18, 2015. I opened it so I could send about 10 dash out of it to cryptsy so I could convert it to bitcoin...which I did. I then sent these coins back to my bitcoin wallet and then sent the bitcoin I received to pay for a Usenet service that accepted bitcoin. I then closed the wallet and didn't open it again until last night...

I see in the transaction log that at the EXACT same time that I sent the 10 dash, another transaction was sent for over 500 dash to an address that I do not recognize. This was not there when I sent the original 10 dash.

So how is this possible? I fear that I have somehow been hacked and that my coins have been sent to some random person unbeknownst to me at the time. I have loaded a qt client and put my wallet in the appdata\roaming\dash folder that was already there and it shows this transaction. This a fresh version of dash-qt along with a new blockchain download. I can show the transaction details if that will help but I am sick thinking about how this could have happened. If anyone can help me with this I would apprecaite it but does it sound like that I have been hacked? Thanks for your time.

When running the old wallet and the old blockchain, the old qt pauses at synchronizing 19 weeks ago. The transactions shown here show the 10 Dash that I sent to Cryptsy but not the other rogue transaction and my 500 dash appear safe. When updating to the newer wallet and re-syncing the newer blockchain, that unknown transaction is there and my 500+ dash are gone.

- Backup your wallet.dat!
- Run current qt-wallet and let it sync 100%.
- Use tools -> wallet repair -> upgrade wallet format, restart wallet.
- Use tools -> wallet repair -> recover transactions 2 , restart wallet.

Check everything, is it ok now?

- Backup your wallet.dat!
- Use tools -> wallet repair -> upgrade wallet format, restart wallet.
- Use tools -> wallet repair -> recover transactions 2 , restart wallet.

Check everything, is it ok now?

I did everything you just described and it still shows that 500+ Dash being sent to an address I don't know about. I am sick right now.

Sorry about that, i ping devs for you.
flare UdjinM6 crowning

Thank you. If i look up the address in block chain (cryptoid) that the 500+ dash was sent to along with my 10+ dash, it shows
Not yet redeemed
but I don't know what that means. I bought into this way back when it was darkcoin because I knew this would be big and converted most of by bitcoin to darkcoin...My wife thinks it will be ok but I told her she just doesn't understand.

Thank you. If i look up the address in block chain (cryptoid) that the 500+ dash was sent to along with my 10+ dash, it shows
Not yet redeemed
but I don't know what that means. I bought into this way back when it was darkcoin because I knew this would be big and converted most of by bitcoin to darkcoin...My wife thinks it will be ok but I told her she just doesn't understand.

Don't worry, it's easy once you know how Bitcoin-based crypto currencies work.

Example:
  1. I send you 500 Dash
  2. You pay something with e.g. 50 Dash
    1. Because you only have this 500 Dash in one vin (think of it as one single 500 Dash note) the wallet sends 500 Dash and gets 450 Dash as change.
    2. The change-address with the 450 "Not yet redeemed"-Dash is actually one of YOUR addresses, you just didn't know it.
Go to the "Coin Control" page (enable "Coin Control" in settings first) in your wallet and you'll see it, your Dash is still there in the "Not yet redeemed" address listed at Cryptoid.

Reactions: AjM
Don't worry, it's easy once you know how Bitcoin-based crypto currencies work.

Example:
  1. I send you 500 Dash
  2. You pay something with e.g. 50 Dash
    1. Because you only have this 500 Dash in one vin (think of it as one single 500 Dash note) the wallet sends 500 Dash and gets 450 Dash as change.
    2. The change-address with the 450 "Not yet redeemed"-Dash is actually one of YOUR addresses, you just didn't know it.
Go to the "Coin Control" page (enable "Coin Control" in settings first) in your wallet and you'll see it, your Dash is still there in the "Not yet redeemed" address listed at Cryptoid.

Ok I went under settings and clicked on coin control and hit ok. Am I supposed to get more options in the client in order to see the 500+ dash? I am so sorry to be such an idiot.

Ok I went under settings and clicked on coin control and hit ok. Am I supposed to get more options in the client in order to see the 500+ dash? I am so sorry to be such an idiot.

Go to the "Send" tab, there's a button "Inputs".

I'm not quite sure what were your actions exactly, can you elaborate?
I see in the transaction log that at the EXACT same time that I sent the 10 dash, another transaction was sent for over 500 dash to an address that I do not recognize. This was not there when I sent the original 10 dash.
I have loaded a qt client and put my wallet in the appdata\roaming\dash folder that was already there and it shows this transaction. This a fresh version of dash-qt along with a new blockchain download.
When running the old wallet and the old blockchain, the old qt pauses at synchronizing 19 weeks ago. The transactions shown here show the 10 Dash that I sent to Cryptsy but not the other rogue transaction and my 500 dash appear safe. When updating to the newer wallet and re-syncing the newer blockchain, that unknown transaction is there and my 500+ dash are gone.
So, did you replaced wallet.dat with some another one or did you only updated qt and synced?
In case you replaced it - do you still have this "old" wallet.dat saved somewhere?

Ok I have the dash-qt client on two windows computers. Both are the current builds. One is x64 and one is x86. The x64 one has finally synchronized. The x86 wallet shows 500+ dash as Available. The x64 wallet shows 0.80 (point 80) dash available. If I look at the Transactions tab on each wallet, the transactions are IDENTICAL besides the transaction on the x86 wallet that shows the 500+ dash being sent out as a transaction. Again, the x86 wallet shows 500+ dash available and the x64 shows the 0.80 dash available. How is this possible when both are using the same wallet.dat file? The x64 is on Windows 10 and the x86 is on an old Windows 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I have the dash-qt client on two windows computers. Both are the current builds. One is x64 and one is x86. The x64 one has finally synchronized. The x86 wallet shows 500+ dash as Available. The x64 wallet shows 0.80 (point 80) dash available. If I look at the Transactions tab on each wallet, the transactions are IDENTICAL besides the transaction on the x86 wallet that shows the 500+ dash being sent out as a transaction. Again, the x86 wallet shows 500+ dash available and the x64 shows the 0.80 dash available. How is this possible when both are using the same wallet.dat file? The x64 is on Windows 10 and the x86 is on an old Windows 7.

it was sent to the change address unknown to the other wallet. maybe u were sending it from x86 wallet, so it create new wallet address in it to contain the change which is 500dash.
i think change address should be deterministic.

Change Address :grin:

(works the same with DASH core)

I'm glad that all went well for you :)

I have read the links you sent and I am still confused. To you it is not, but to me it is. i want to understand it, i really do but it is hard for me to get it. I want to make sure this doesn't happen again so what are the best practices I need to do at this point? The next time I want to pay for something with dash, I don't want to have this happen again. I am still unclear exactly what happened and how to prevent it. I am sure the links you sent explained it but I am struggling here.

I have read the links you sent and I am still confused. To you it is not, but to me it is. i want to understand it, i really do but it is hard for me to get it. I want to make sure this doesn't happen again so what are the best practices I need to do at this point? The next time I want to pay for something with dash, I don't want to have this happen again. I am still unclear exactly what happened and how to prevent it. I am sure the links you sent explained it but I am struggling here.

if i have 100 usd bill, i give you 1 usd bill, then 99 usd bill is the change, the current wallet system will put this 99 usd into new address not the original address.

you btw can set the change address manually.... ie point it to your address known to both wallet.

Ok I think I got that
if i have 100 usd bill, i give you 1 usd bill, then 99 usd bill is the change, the current wallet system will put this 99 usd into new address not the original address.

you btw can set the change address manually.... ie point it to your address known to both wallet.

OK I get that the change part goes to a different address. Why is the wallet not smart enough to reflect that in the Available balance and why was it not working before but now it is? Why did it work on one computer but not the other? Meaning, why did the x64 show 0.80 available balance and the x86 show the 500+ balance?

Ok I think I got that

OK I get that the change part goes to a different address. Why is the wallet not smart enough to reflect that in the Available balance and why was it not working before but now it is? Why did it work on one computer but not the other? Meaning, why did the x64 show 0.80 available balance and the x86 show the 500+ balance?

maybe you sending using the x86 wallet ??? if its the same wallet... i dunno ?

maybe you sending using the x86 wallet ??? if its the same wallet... i dunno ?

The original transaction was indeed using the x86 computer. What I was saying I did was downloaded and installed the x64 client and placed the wallet that was on the x86 computer to the x64 computer. I guess there is more to it than the wallet file itself. I was thinking that was what mattered.

The original transaction was indeed using the x86 computer. What I was saying I did was downloaded and installed the x64 client and placed the wallet that was on the x86 computer to the x64 computer. I guess there is more to it than the wallet file itself. I was thinking that was what mattered.

so you copy the wallet.dat after the transaction on x86 ??? hmmm... i really dont know, i always set my change address before sending just to be safe

so you copy the wallet.dat after the transaction on x86 ??? hmmm... i really dont know, i always set my change address before sending just to be safe

So when I send coins, I should check the box to "Custom Change Address" and put in one of my receive address? Will that prevent this from happening?

Back