• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Unable to import private key.

edykstra

Hello,

I made a Darkcoin paper wallet. I sent a small amount to it. I can see that it is there a Block Explorer.

I want to import that Darkcoin into my desktop wallet. I am using v0.11.1.25 on Linux Mint (Debian Edition), 64 bit.

So, I went to 'Tools --> Debug Console'.

Then I entered the following:

walletpassphrase "MyPassphrase" 600

and it returned without error.

importprivkey "myPrivateKey" "TheLabelThatIWant"

it returns without error, but there is no balance shown.

I do see entries under 'File --> Receiving Addresses' with the label I specified, but I still do not see a balance.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Hello,

I made a Darkcoin paper wallet. I sent a small amount to it. I can see that it is there a Block Explorer.

I want to import that Darkcoin into my desktop wallet. I am using v0.11.1.25 on Linux Mint (Debian Edition), 64 bit.

So, I went to 'Tools --> Debug Console'.

walletpassphrase "MyPassphrase" 600

and it returned without error.

importprivkey "myPrivateKey" "TheLabelThatIWant"

it returns without error, but there is no balance shown.

I do see entries under 'File --> Receiving Addresses' with the label I specified, but I still do not see a balance.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Just restart your wallet

LOL - I wish it was that easy. I have probably restarted it 20 times since I started trying to figure this out days ago. When I restart it, I use the '-rescan' flag too. Still no DRK balance.
Hmm... ok. What service did you use to create paper wallet? Is your qt-wallet completely synced?

Hmm... ok. What service did you use to create paper wallet? Is your qt-wallet completely synced?

I used the source for bitcoinpaperwallet on github by user cantonbecker. (Don't have rights to put links on this forum yet.)

Skip for Bitcoin, then switch to Darkcoin, and generate keys there.

I have absolutely nothing else in the Darkcoin wallet. So, methinks it is best to wipe the install and start again.

I would expect that if there was ANY error, the console would state that - even if an ambiguous message.

Yes - the QT wallet is sync'd.

I used the source for bitcoinpaperwallet on github by user cantonbecker. (Don't have rights to put links on this forum yet.)

Skip for Bitcoin, then switch to Darkcoin, and generate keys there.

I have absolutely nothing else in the Darkcoin wallet. So, methinks it is best to wipe the install and start again.

I would expect that if there was ANY error, the console would state that - even if an ambiguous message.

Yes - the QT wallet is sync'd.
I see only old pull request for Darkcoin which is not yet merged there https://github.com/cantonbecker/bitcoinpaperwallet/pull/15/files . Are you sure it works with Darkcoin?
I used https://walletgenerator.net/?currency=Darkcoin and it worked fine (this was however quite a long time ago so I have no idea if it still works)

EDIT: Yes, I can confirm, https://walletgenerator.net/?currency=Darkcoin still works fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for testing before using :)

Testing? Absolutely!

So, I solved my issue. I was testing importing BIP38 paper wallets. When I was decrypting them prior to import and I was grabbing the wrong private key format to import. The Darkcoin wallet gave me no error - not sure why.

So, anyone coming here make sure that the private key you use with the importprivkey command is 'Private Key WIF' which is 51 characters base58, starts with a '6'.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I had some coins I thought were lost but once I figured this all out, I was able to move them easily.

Cheers!

Back