• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Trying to update wallet on mac. Don't get the usual "replace" option

jaredboice

I'm trying to update the latest release of DarkCoin on my iMac. Usually I get an option to "replace" the file that is already in my applications folder. Now, when I try to drag and drop the new file in the applications folder,
I get the following message instead:

"You can’t copy some of these items because their names are the same as other items on the destination volume, and that volume doesn’t distinguish between upper- and lowercase letters in filenames. Do you want to skip these items and continue copying the other items?"

Just being extra cautious and paranoid. It would be great if anyone could walk me through how I should proceed. Thanks in advance

I'm trying to update the latest release of DarkCoin on my iMac. Usually I get an option to "replace" the file that is already in my applications folder. Now, when I try to drag and drop the new file in the applications folder,

"You can’t copy some of these items because their names are the same as other items on the destination volume, and that volume doesn’t distinguish between upper- and lowercase letters in filenames. Do you want to skip these items and continue copying the other items?"

Just being extra cautious and paranoid. It would be great if anyone could walk me through how I should proceed. Thanks in advance

TL;DR; If you got it from official site you should be ok, just replace old app with new one.

Full version: There was a discussion some time ago about capital "c" in Darkcoin name and then name was changed from DarkCoin to Darkcoin. And so did the name of the app - it's Darkcoin-Qt.app now. That's why you get this warning. If you got updated app there https://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/ then it's safe to remove your old app from Applications folder and drop there new one.

Thanks. So specifically I should back up, delete original, and install new.

How do I reimporr original wallet.dat file?

The app is stored in /Applications. The Darkcoin data files are stored in ~/Library. So, if you just update the app, then your files should be there already and there should be no need to re-import or do anything special. It should just work. If you have problems, let us know.

The app is stored in /Applications. The Darkcoin data files are stored in ~/Library. So, if you just update the app, then your files should be there already and there should be no need to re-import or do anything special. It should just work. If you have problems, let us know.

Thanks. So if I delete app, then install new, all the other information should be there since they are stored in independent places?

That is correct. However, you are running something like Time Machine or some other backup tool, right? If not, have you backed up your wallet? Be sure you have a backup (of at least the wallet) before you continue. Dash is becoming more and more valuable every day.

That is correct. However, you are running something like Time Machine or some other backup tool, right? If not, have you backed up your wallet? Be sure you have a backup (of at least the wallet) before you continue. Dash is becoming more and more valuable every day.
+1 to both your posts (damn you are faster then me, I deleted everything I was going to answer twice already :grin:)
jaredboice data folder for Mac is ~/Library/Application Support/Darkcoin/ (or could be ~/Library/Application Support/DarkCoin/ in your case)
wallet.dat is the file that holds your private keys and I HIGHLY recommend you to make sure you have Time Machine turned on and/or to backup this file manually.

thanks a lot for all your replies. It seems I have one final question before I feel like I can safely and confidently switch to the new Dash QT. I do have time machine turned on and I have also backed my previous DRK wallet on to two other flash drives. So I'm good to go there.

I deleted the DarkCoin QT client and dragged the new Dash QT Client into the applications folder.

I was greeted with the following message:

"Welcome to Dash Core.

As this is the first time the program is launched, you can choose where Dash Core will store its data.

Dash Core will download and store a copy of the Dash block chain. At least 1 GB of data will be stored in this directory, and it will grow over time. The wallet will also be stored in this directory.

"radio button []" Use the default data directory
"radio button []" Use a custom data directory: "

So my question is, well, what do I do and where should I point this to? I obviously already have my wallet.dat from the previous build and I of course also have a portion of the blockchain from the previous build which I assume would additionally save me time for downloading all the recent transactions.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

thanks a lot for all your replies. It seems I have one final question before I feel like I can safely and confidently switch to the new Dash QT. I do have time machine turned on and I have also backed my previous DRK wallet on to two other flash drives. So I'm good to go there.

I deleted the DarkCoin QT client and dragged the new Dash QT Client into the applications folder.

I was greeted with the following message:

"Welcome to Dash Core.

As this is the first time the program is launched, you can choose where Dash Core will store its data.

Dash Core will download and store a copy of the Dash block chain. At least 1 GB of data will be stored in this directory, and it will grow over time. The wallet will also be stored in this directory.

"radio button []" Use the default data directory
"radio button []" Use a custom data directory: "

So my question is, well, what do I do and where should I point this to? I obviously already have my wallet.dat from the previous build and I of course also have a portion of the blockchain from the previous build which I assume would additionally save me time for downloading all the recent transactions.

Thanks a lot in advance!!
1) Make sure your wallet is closed.
2) Find this folder /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/DarkCoin and rename it to Dash ("Library" is a hidden one btw)
3) Run Dash-Qt and most likely you will already see your previous DRK balance here in DASH.

Woops. Having strange anomalies taking place. My computer crashed once already (which hardly ever happens with me, I keep my machine pretty clean)
And after rebooting and Dash reopening by itself, eventually Dash QT crashed. Should I be concerned or is there a bug they need to address?

Woops. Having strange anomalies taking place. My computer crashed once already (which hardly ever happens with me, I keep my machine pretty clean)
And after rebooting and Dash reopening by itself, eventually Dash QT crashed. Should I be concerned or is there a bug they need to address?
Find debug.log in /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Dash folder and send it to me pls [email protected]
Also next timeif it crashes again copy debug information from crash window too pls (all kind of threads mentioned there and it has "send"/"do not send" buttons)

I also use a Mac and have the same problem. Nothing has work so far. I have my dat file (backup wallet), but NOTHING seems to come over. Also, I do not follow where "files" are stored in ~/Library.

I already tried this YouTube video, and it doesn't help. It is telling me to locate a file that doesn't exist for me. I know there is a Darkcoin file for the guy in the video, but that really doesn't help me.

To make it simple, I have a backup wallet (dat) file. I just want to transfer those funds into an active wallet and simple as possible.

Maybe there is a way to import the wallet through the qt command prompt? If so, it's very hard to follow the command instructions with that.

What about the [importwallet "filename"] function?

Last edited by a moderator:
I already tried this YouTube video, and it doesn't help. It is telling me to locate a file that doesn't exist for me. I know there is a Darkcoin file for the guy in the video, but that really doesn't help me.

To make it simple, I have a backup wallet (dat) file. I just want to transfer those funds into an active wallet and simple as possible.
Hmm... ok let's try another way: open finder, press cmd+shift+g, copy-paste "~/Library/Application Support/" there and hit Go. You should see Darkcoin (or DarkCoin) folder inside that one. If you already ran Dash-Qt you should see Dash folder there too. Open Dash folder and rename wallet.dat to smth else (wallet.dat.bkp for example). Now copy there wallet.dat file you have from backup, run Dash-Qt and once wallet is synced you should see correct balance.

Ok, just to be clear, when you say "Now copy there wallet.dat file you have from backup", are you saying I just save my backup file into this folder and rename it wallet.dat?
When you run Dash-Qt first time it creates new empty wallet. I guess you already did that, right? So now you should have empty wallet.dat in that folder. To make wallet use your backup wallet.dat you have you need to replace that empty wallet.dat (make sure it really empty and you haven't received anything there yet or used one of its addresses!). Safe way is not to replace it but to rename it first and then copy there your backup wallet.dat. And yes, wallet recognize wallet.dat name by default so it has to be named exactly the same (if you run it without any additional cmd line options i.e. by clicking on an app icon).

Migrate Wallet DRK - Dash Video Guides

MAC
PC
LINUX

all other Mac wallet guides on dct under
"Guides"

Back