• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Some early morning thoughts about 10+ minute confirmation times

crowning

[Disclaimer: the proposal to increase the confirmation time is NOT part of Evan's paper anymore, so my thoughts may be a waste of time. In this case just ignore this posting and do something useful]

Besides my DOS concerns posted here https://darkcointalk.org/threads/pa...d-masternode-consensus.2418/page-2#post-21376
I thought a bit about further implications of increasing the confirmation time to 10 or more minutes, for ease of computation let's say 10x the time we have now:

- less maximum coin supply (aka may increase the value of my precious coins, but not necessarily so in the short term)
- mining will be 10x less attractive (to be honest I would most probably shut down my mining farm, with a tear in my eye...), so a lot of miners will go somewhere else.
- Masternodes, which will become the backbone of Darkcoin, will get 1/10 compensation thus making them less attractive.

I guess increasing the confirmation time _without_ increasing the minimum amount of coins per block will massively change the Darkcoin infrastructure.

I wouldn't do that without long and careful thinking about every possible scenario.

Your thoughts?

I just assumed that with confirmations every 10 mins instead of 2.5, block reward would go from 5 to 20 and the 'minting curve' would remain as is.

You're right, increasing the block time without increasing the block reward accordingly would make mining and running a MN unfeasible.

Back