• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Shouldn't DASH.......

Should DASH be patenting it's Technology?

• NO - DASH is free for all to use - even if DASH has to pay a Licensing Fee in the future

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
M

MangledBlue

https://news.bitcoin.com/bank-ameri...y-race/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Shouldn't DASH be reserving patents on the technology we [the DEVs] are creating...
Can our technology be stolen right out from underneath us??

I think this is a very valid question,,,,,,,

Look at how Microsoft got started
Apple didn't really care about the software side of things - and there ya go.....

I'd hate to see DASH have to pay somebody else a licensing fee just to use our own code - ugh

Thoughts?

maybe I'm over-thinking it.....

...The poll is open for 3 days...
[ends Monday, Hong Kong time @ 02:05am]

MangledBlue

Getting some patents in place to defend Dash from banks/rival projects is probably a good idea. It would suck to be sued by someone who ripped off your tech and then patented it.

Maybe we could/would fall under copyright laws??
[not a lawyer of course - still thinking]

I'm sure greater minds will chime in at some point.....

I am not a lawyer. But I'm pretty sure copyright laws only really protect you against blatant copying (line for line) from your source code. And since dash is now (I believe) an open
source project I would assume its restrictions and enforceability are lined out in any licensing agreement included with the project whether GPL, LGPL, MIT or something entirely different.

The patent process from my understanding is very iterative. You might send in work and apply, it gets rejected, you improve the work and resubmit, it gets rejected and then finally after much refinement you might get a patent. But I'm pretty sure the date of initial filing matters even if the patent has not yet been granted, so the earlier the better. Again, I'm not a lawyer and a qualified IP attorney should be consulted to determine the feasibility. But having an attorney review the prospects if the community believes in it sounds like budget proposal material.

Question: Could we even copyright our source code, since we are forked from an open source project?

Question: Could we even copyright our source code, since we are forked from an open source project?

Copyright/Patent the features - is mostly what I'm getting at
InstantX
DarkSend
etc etc

I understand the BTC code is off limits

Back