• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Should we change the mining algorithm because of ASICs?

Should we change mining algorithm because of ASICs?

• Yes

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 78.7%

• Total voters
Average GPU costs $100, ASIC costs $2000, a nextgen ASIC will cost let's say $20000, and so on to $200000 and so on. How many ordinary people would like to buy it?

I do not rly think you`re right here that the next generation ASICs will cost $20k, btc ASICs more or less cost the same as they did a year ago with better speeds.
It`s like saying that PC on which you spend 2k euro today will cost 20k euro next year....

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not rly think you`re right here that the next generation ASICs will cost $20k, btc ASICs more or less cost the same as they did a year ago with better speeds.
It`s like saying that PC on which you spend 2k euro today will cost 20k euro next year....
Maybe you're right, but still world distribution of ASICs among human beings is much more poorer then GPUs, because they are specific devices, not general use devices. GPU manufacturer is not incentivised to keep its GPUs in secret and use them to play video games alone.

The goal of mining is to secure the network. If there is specialized hardware the network is stronger and harder to break.

Assuming that all GPU mining is done by dorm students or that GPU mining can't be centralized in mining farms in china makes no sense. Anyone can buy ASICs, just like anyone can buy GPUs.

The goal of mining is to secure the network. If there is specialized hardware the network is stronger and harder to break.

Assuming that all GPU mining is done by dorm students or that GPU mining can't be centralized in mining farms in china makes no sense. Anyone can buy ASICs, just like anyone can buy GPUs.
Hey guys! Let's all speak in one place. BTW, can I merge this topic with the new one?

Back