• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Running dash-qt the first time did something...

matthew1820

Found the answer to my question... When it ran the first time it created a ~/config/Dash directory containing a Dash-qt.conf file. That contained all the options data, including the data directory path.

I manually cleaned things up and pointed everything to the right directory, and the program now loads from the intended data directory, including blockchain and my wallet.

M.

I wrote:

I am trying to upgrade my darkcoin wallet to the new dash version, on Linux...

Backed things up, renamed .darkcoin data directory to .dash. There was no darkcoin.conf.

Ran a copy of the dash-qt executable in the same directory that contained the .dash directory. On the FIRST execution only, a dialogue popped up requesting the location of the data directory. I THOUGHT I set it to my .dash directory, but when it ran it started to build a new data structure in the same directory the executable is in, ignoring my data directory.

Now, every time I run it, no matter what directory the executable is in, it doesn't give me that dialogue, and I've found no way to change its determination to store all it's data in the directory it was run in the very first time.

Does it set an environment variable somewhere, or store a file in some weird place? How can I reset it to that first-run state and try again?

I can load my old wallet and data if I specify the -datadir argument, but I want to know where it's "remembering" that it's been run before and try to reset it's default action to be the way I want it!

Help?

M.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to upgrade my darkcoin wallet to the new dash version, on Linux...

Backed things up, renamed .darkcoin data directory to .dash. There was no darkcoin.conf.

Ran a copy of the dash-qt executable in the same directory that contained the .dash directory. On the FIRST execution only, a dialogue popped up requesting the location of the data directory. I THOUGHT I set it to my .dash directory, but when it ran it started to build a new data structure in the same directory the executable is in, ignoring my data directory.

Now, every time I run it, no matter what directory the executable is in, it doesn't give me that dialogue, and I've found no way to change its determination to store all it's data in the directory it was run in the very first time.

Does it set an environment variable somewhere, or store a file in some weird place? How can I reset it to that first-run state and try again?

I can load my old wallet and data if I specify the -datadir argument, but I want to know where it's "remembering" that it's been run before and try to reset it's default action to be the way I want it!

Help?

M.
There's a video guide for linux on the official site you can try to see if it helps: https://www.dashpay.io/news/migrate-your-darkcoin-wallet-to-dash/

Ok apologies in advance, cuz I'm sure the answer is sitting right in front of me on the forum but I'm computer idiot. I downloaded the new Dash wallet and followed the instructions on Youtube for Dash migration and neither the Dash or Darkcoin wallet are showing my coins. Please help :)

Ok apologies in advance, cuz I'm sure the answer is sitting right in front of me on the forum but I'm computer idiot. I downloaded the new Dash wallet and followed the instructions on Youtube for Dash migration and neither the Dash or Darkcoin wallet are showing my coins. Please help :)
Where did you store your DRK originally? Do you have a backup for your wallet.dat which has the coins in it?

Not sure what you mean by "where" but its on my macbook (insert humor for not knowing here). I have many backups off site of my darkcoin wallet. I also have all my passwords, recovery seed, etc. Does that answer your question?

Not sure what you mean by "where" but its on my macbook (insert humor for not knowing here). I have many backups off site of my darkcoin wallet. I also have all my passwords, recovery seed, etc. Does that answer your question?
The rebranding is just a name change, but your old wallet.dat in the Darkcoin folder is still the same. All you have to do is move your wallet.dat (which has the coins) to the new Dash folder, then run the dash-qt, your coins should show up there.

Ok great, but I tried to locate the Darkcoin folder and for that matter the Dash folder and can't seem to find it. I tried using spotlight and haphazardly looking around my hard drive, but am unable to locate them. Where would they normally be located?

Ok great, but I tried to locate the Darkcoin folder and for that matter the Dash folder and can't seem to find it. I tried using spotlight and haphazardly looking around my hard drive, but am unable to locate them. Where would they normally be located?
Are they in the Applications Manager? I'm not a mac person but maybe this video can help you out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=25&v=JhlRAVY27pI

That video is from the guides here: https://dashtalk.org/threads/migrate-wallet-drk-dash.4540/

I appreciate it, but that is the video I initially followed and is how I got to this point. Since I have backup files, can't I just import them somehow?

I appreciate it, but that is the video I initially followed and is how I got to this point. Since I have backup files, can't I just import them somehow?
Yes. If you have the backup wallet.dat, you can move that wallet.dat to the new Dash folder, or import the privkey of that wallet if you have the privkey.

Back