• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

[Resolved] 32 Darkcoins disappeared from encrypted wallet.

moli negative i sent the coins when the new address was created in the 0.9.0.0 qt. but even when i fire up the old qt it still shows i have no coins at either address.

Wow.. 0.9.0.0 is a very old version. Did you have your DRK in the 0.9.0.0 wallet and then installed the version 0.10.15.13 before you sent your coins to another address in the wallet?

detective molli
you are getting there !! ...>

moli no the 0.9.0.0 qt doesn't synchronize with the network. Message reads: "No block source available"
If you still have that wallet.dat, dump your private key and import it to your new wallet, try that and see if you can retrieve your coins?

moli to the best of my recollection it was synchronizing fine when i sent the DRK to the new wallet address, i doubt i would have sent them otherwise. It's just not synchronizing now cause the wallet version is out of date, or at least i think that's what holding it back.

moli i don't have the old wallet.dat because it was on the thumbdrive that i lost, which was the reason i created the new wallet address to send my coins to.

moli

- Downloaded DRK wallet-qt 0.9.0.0 after several weeks of mining to a pool.
- Paid out 24 DRK to my wallet from the pool, then continued mining.
- Paid out the last 7 DRK from the pool to my wallet, then shut down miners due to energy costs.
- Backed up my wallet to a thumbdrive using the wallets "File -> Backup wallet" option.
- Subsequently lost thumbdrive.
- Fearing that wallet address was now not secure, i created a new wallet address using the same qt.
- I sent all 32 DRK from my old wallet address to the new wallet address.
- If i recall correctly, the payment to myself went through.
- I did not pay attention to the crypto scene for several months, and never bothered to fire up the qt, i just occasionally checked DRK prices, which kept falling.
- A couple weeks ago i fired up the qt, it read 0 DRK
- I figured it was simply because a new qt version was out, since the v 0.9.0.0 would not synchronize to the blockchain.
- I downloaded v 0.10.15.13 and fired it up. Waited almost 24 hours for the wallet to synchronize (it was 20 some weeks behind).
- After new wallet finished synchronizing, still 0 DRK
- I came here looking for answers.

moli

- Paid out the last 7 DRK from the pool to my wallet, then shut down miners due to energy costs.
- Backed up my wallet to a thumbdrive using the wallets "File -> Backup wallet" option.
- Fearing that wallet address was now not secure, i created a new wallet address using the same qt.
- I did not pay attention to the crypto scene for several months, and never bothered to fire up the qt, i just occasionally checked DRK prices, which kept falling.
- I figured it was simply because a new qt version was out, since the v 0.9.0.0 would not synchronize to the blockchain.
- I downloaded v 0.10.15.13 and fired it up. Waited almost 24 hours for the wallet to synchronize (it was 20 some weeks behind).

Can you please do a search on your PC to find out how many Darkcoin instances you have on your machine?

Can you please do a search on your PC to find out how many Darkcoin instances you have on your machine?
List of transactions on his wallet: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/32-darkcoins-disappeared-from-encrypted-wallet.2715/#post-28095

This address is on the list: XoYkfwhJ2CwfqSHQJAmLj3ktcmhKquC2Qj and the 32 drk is at this address.

Can he open that wallet and just dump the private key from that address and then import it to another address and the coins will just show up?

List of transactions on his wallet: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/32-darkcoins-disappeared-from-encrypted-wallet.2715/#post-28095

This address is on the list: XoYkfwhJ2CwfqSHQJAmLj3ktcmhKquC2Qj and the 32 drk is at this address.

Can he open that wallet and just dump the private key from that address and then import it to another address and the coins will just show up?

Sorry Moli but I always hate it when people say - - -

"just dump the private key from that address and then import it to another address"

and then - - you don't give direction on how to actually do it.....

If we're gonna have newbie's showing up wondering WTF - can we please give some detailed info out with the responses?

We are the messengers of DRK - please make the message clear...

you know I's luvs ya

Ignition75 Do you mean different versions of the qt? I have 4 apparently. v 0.9.0.0, v 0.9.3.0, v 0.10.15.13... and apparently v 0.8.9.6 ? dafuq? just in case i fired that even older version up and still no DRK. And yes moli please explain how we dump the private key.

To dump privkey:

In QT client, Help > Debug window > Console
In box at bottom, type 'walletpassphrase passphrase 60' without the quotes to unlock the wallet for 60 seconds
Then type 'dumpprivkey darkcoinaddress' without the quotes, it will spit out the privkey in the output window above the box where you enter the commands

Note: your wallet will almost certainly have more than one address in it, if you want to back up all the funds in the wallet, you can move everything into one address first, then dumpprivkey for that one address. Or you can dumpprivkey for each address in the wallet that is funded, up to you.

To import privkey:
In QT client, Help > Debug window > Console
In box at bottom, type 'importprivkey privkey' without the quotes (and wait a while, depends on your machine)

ALWAYS dumpprivkey, copy and paste it to a textfile, print it out and keep it safe, then delete or encrypt the textfile, for every address you have funds in. It will seem like a pointless pain in the arse up until the day where you lose your digital copies of your wallets, and then you will thank all gods great and small that you did it. All you need is the privkey to regain control of your funds in that address.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Moli but I always hate it when people say - - -

"just dump the private key from that address and then import it to another address"

and then - - you don't give direction on how to actually do it.....

If we're gonna have newbie's showing up wondering WTF - can we please give some detailed info out with the responses?

We are the messengers of DRK - please make the message clear...

you know I's luvs ya
HUH... lol... I was talking to Ignition75 and thought he was helping rodalan77... Sorry, I fell asleep, duh, but you could've helped him instead of chewing me out...:tongue: .. Both Ignition and I were kinda confused when rodalan said he already lost his wallet.dat in the thumb drive... Then in my state of sleepiness.. I read back his thread and realized "wait a minute how could he lose his wallet.dat but still could pull up all the transactions.." ...

Anyways, a big thank to thelonecrouton for picking up the rest, can we be friends now? :smile:

rodalan77, so, have you got your coins back? Every DRK is a precious coin, I hope you got them back! :smile:

moli

This is the part that's confusing me. Did you create a new wallet altogether, or simply create a new address in the existing wallet? If you didn't create a new wallet, and created the transaction to send to a new address, the transaction possibly didn't go through because it was on an old chain/not synchronized. Do a rescan of the wallet with the address XoYkfwhJ2CwfqSHQJAmLj3ktcmhKquC2Qj.

On windows, Download the newest QT wallet and save it to your desktop. Rename it something easy like "DarkcoinQT" Don't run it. Instead do this.

In the start menu search box type in "cmd" and hit enter. That will bring up cmd prompt. Type in the following.
Bash:
cd Desktop
DarkcoinQT --rescan

The above will check all addresses in the present wallet for funds. If the XoYkfwh address is present the coins will reappear. If that doesn't work, see if you can dump the private key for the address and import it into a new wallet. To do that you would launch the wallet normally and then go to the debug window. In the debug window type in:
Code:
walletpassphrase 'YourPassword' 300
dumpprivkey XoYkfwhJ2CwfqSHQJAmLj3ktcmhKquC2Qj

This will retrieve the private key for the address. Shut down the wallet after copying the private key returned from the above. On windows, in the search bar again type in "%appdata%".
Click on Roaming, Local, Darkcoin. You'll now see your wallet files. Rename your wallet.dat to oldwallet.dat

Start QT again. This time it will generate a new wallet. After that's successful, import the private key at the debug window with:
Code:
importprivkey 'privatekey'
After this finishes (takes a minute or two) Close QT and relaunch it. You should now have the latest wallet version and your old address compatible with the latest client.

Good luck!

Sorry i have not replied to this thread in a couple of days, Life in general has been getting to me. 40 hour work weeks on top of school and girlfriend trouble and all that jazz.

Anyways Propulsion you are the man! I did a rescan of my qt and after that didn't fix the problem i dumped the privatekeys of both the new address as well as the old "possibly compromised" address. Renamed the wallet.dat in /Roaming/Darkcoin folder to oldwallet.dat and opened the QT again to create a new wallet. Imported the privatekey from the newer of the two addresses where my funds should have been in the first place and Voila! 32.2142 DRK back in my hands!

I appreciate the help everybody, you just made my day.

Sorry i have not replied to this thread in a couple of days, Life in general has been getting to me. 40 hour work weeks on top of school and girlfriend trouble and all that jazz.

Anyways Propulsion you are the man! I did a rescan of my qt and after that didn't fix the problem i dumped the privatekeys of both the new address as well as the old "possibly compromised" address. Renamed the wallet.dat in /Roaming/Darkcoin folder to oldwallet.dat and opened the QT again to create a new wallet. Imported the privatekey from the newer of the two addresses where my funds should have been in the first place and Voila! 32.2142 DRK back in my hands!

I appreciate the help everybody, you just made my day.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!! :smile:
Been waiting to hear from you. I knew your coins were still there in your wallet, it was just a matter of time and knowledge for you to get them back.
Propulsion is awesome, bug him again next time if you need hep. :smile:

Back