• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Reduce wallet.dat size

romario

Hey guys

pls advise if there any way to reduce size of the wallet.dat file without loosing its private keys? My wallet.dat is like 300Mb and it's getting bigger every day.

Hey guys

pls advise if there any way to reduce size of the wallet.dat file without loosing its private keys? My wallet.dat is like 300Mb and it's getting bigger every day.
:what:
How did you manage to get it that big?

Anyway... -salvagewallet is the one that might help you a bit, at least it does exactly this - grabs key pairs it can find in wallet.dat, create a new wallet.dat with these key pairs and rescan blockchain to get balance right. However it will also fill wallet.dat with some additional info about txes/addresses that your key pairs belongs to so size might be almost the same as you have now but you'll never know until you try :smile:

NOTE: As usual - make a backup before messing up with your wallet!

:what:
How did you manage to get it that big?

Anyway... -salvagewallet is the one that might help you a bit, at least it does exactly this - grabs key pairs it can find in wallet.dat, create a new wallet.dat with these key pairs and rescan blockchain to get balance right. However it will also fill wallet.dat with some additional info about txes/addresses that your key pairs belongs to so size might be almost the same as you have now but you'll never know until you try :smile:

NOTE: As usual - make a backup before messing up with your wallet!

Well, it has many addresses which are receiving/sending lots of tiny transactions. I'd try salvaging wallet.dat.

I wonder if it's possible to load the whole wallet.dat into RAM? Like setting dbcache=1024 in dash.conf ? Would it help speeding up wallet operations?

Well, it has many addresses which are receiving/sending lots of tiny transactions. I'd try salvaging wallet.dat.

I wonder if it's possible to load the whole wallet.dat into RAM? Like setting dbcache=1024 in dash.conf ? Would it help speeding up wallet operations?
Hmm... It actually should store whole wallet.dat parsed info in RAM once it's loaded on wallet start afaik...
Your wallet could be slow just because there're maybe many tens of thousands of keys and many thousands of txes in it now and it could be hard for wallet to manage all that.. What kind of slow wallet operations are you experiencing btw (i.e. switching tabs / sending funds / listing/scrolling txes....)?

Back