• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal Discussion - OpenBazaar / Dash Integration

I think it would be best to take OpenBazaar, and create a Dash version because our Masternodes can host it.

I have this idea too, but this would be a much larger project than just teaching OB to use Dash. I'd better do it after there would be OB/Dash

I know, I say that tongue in cheek ;) I read what you said earlier, with a business to run.... it's not possible and I understand.

That was good, wow similar background to Edward Snowden! The interviewer was a bit dim, but I suppose that's good as he represents Joe Public. Also makes Amir seem that much more mature and intelligent :)

That was good, wow similar background to Edward Snowden! The interviewer was a bit dim, but I suppose that's good as he represents Joe Public. Also makes Amir seem that much more mature and intelligent :)

Lol, watching it now too and the first thing I thought was "when worlds collide" :) Two guys from completely different spheres, one guy waiting for the sales pitch and the other with something with no price, about a third of the way in and it's starting to role along nicely now though.

I've been really caught up in work but have been watching this thread and really excited about the community response, I think we can make this happen!

And re SRS and other document deliverables (vs code deliverables)... As soon as we, as the community would decide what exactly we would want OpenBazaar/DASH would like, I can ran it by my company and get project plan and initial estimate. For free.

To do it, someone else but me, should install OpenBazaar, play with it and describe the vision using screenshots/mockups.

This weekend I'm going to try to get started on this :)

Have openbaazar client and server in and running, ISP port issues though, will try and get that sorted (yet again) tomorrow. Not got my head around any of it yet, changed a hell of a lot since I last looked at it and obviously lots still to do on the client but looking good. Last link might be useful, not much noob friendly info:
https://github.com/OpenBazaar/OpenBazaar-Server
https://github.com/OpenBazaar/OpenBazaar-Client
http://grimtech.net/installing-openbazaar-beta-on-ubuntu-early-october-2015/

Couple more I needed, shouldn't be necessary but leaving here for future ref.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28987891/patch-pyopenssl-for-sslv3-issue
https://github.com/ForbesLindesay/spawn-sync/issues/24

Thanks for the useful links stan.distortion - running into what seem like Port Issues as well, you even get that figured out?

Set up Port Forwarding for 18467 and 28467 but that doesn't seem to knock it loose.

Thanks for the useful links stan.distortion - running into what seem like Port Issues as well, you even get that figured out?

Set up Port Forwarding for 18467 and 28467 but that doesn't seem to knock it loose.

No, still haven't got onto my ISP so not even sure there's a network there for it to link in with at the mo. Ran it on a VPS the last time to get around it and that worked out ok, it was easy enough to connect up to the html interface instead. It was a single app at that time so I'd guess the client/server setup they have now is made for that.

How's it going guys? I just finally felt in the mood to try this and I have the server compiling on my mining machine and a VPS. I just read on Stan's link that it can take up to 2 hours to compile and since my machines are pretty old, it may take longer, LOL. Did you guys get it up and running? I can't wait to see this, but it'll probably have to wait until morning :(

I also see there are some setup issues, eh? Are you choosing random ports or is there an OB official port? Is there any configure files to fill out? I mean, do you need to put in your IP address and such?

And maybe you all could answer a couple of other questions. Would a person who wants to sell something need to run a client and a server? Or just a client? And who runs these servers? Do they get compensation? and finally, if the seller's items are sold off of their own desktop, what happens if they shut it down? Does their sales page continue on in the network?

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a bit of trouble getting dependencies sorted here but it fired straight up no problem once it was all compiled Stef, nothing to edit or mess around with. Ports appear to be fixed but I didn't look into it much, I could find very little info and practically everything was for older versions.

I ended up putting my test box on DMZ which seemed to resolve port forwarding issues. Running the daemon with "-l debug" flag yields much more useful information, also tried starting it up on "testnet" by adding the "-t" flag. Seems like the bootstrap just isn't connecting to any live servers at the moment:

Edit -- sweet! I decided to give it one more shot and it looks like it's working!

2uelhd2.png

Edit 2: Clicked on the Star wars art, got to the store, then hit back and OB completely freaked out lol. Still very much a work in progress it seems

Code:
~/openbazaar/OpenBazaar-Server$ python openbazaard.py start -t -l debug
OpenBazaar Server v0.1 starting...
2015-10-25 10:22:25-0600 [OpenBazaard] [INFO] Finding NAT Type...
2015-10-25 10:22:26-0600 [OpenBazaard] [INFO] Full Cone on x.x.x.x:28467
2015-10-25 10:22:26-0600 [Server] [WARNING] no known neighbors, so not writing to cache.
2015-10-25 10:22:26-0600 [-] OpenBazaarProtocol starting on 28467
2015-10-25 10:22:26-0600 [-] Starting protocol <wireprotocol.OpenBazaarProtocol object at 0x7fb13ddf4ed0>
2015-10-25 10:22:26-0600 [-] WSFactory starting on 18466
2015-10-25 10:22:26-0600 [-] Starting factory <api.ws.WSFactory object at 0x7fb13d571150>
2015-10-25 10:22:26-0600 [-] Site starting on 9000
2015-10-25 10:22:26-0600 [-] Starting factory <twisted.web.server.Site instance at 0x7fb13d57a290>
2015-10-25 10:22:26-0600 [-] Site starting on 18469
2015-10-25 10:22:26-0600 [-] Starting factory <twisted.web.server.Site instance at 0x7fb13d57a950>
2015-10-25 10:22:26-0600 [OpenBazaard] [INFO] Libbitcoin server online
2015-10-25 10:22:27-0600 [Server] [INFO] bootstrapping with 1 addresses, finding neighbors...
2015-10-25 10:22:27-0600 [KademliaProtocol] [DEBUG] calling remote function ping on ('205.186.154.163', 28467) (msgid AY1ZxirieJKZzS/FOD3h2nnBwi8=)
2015-10-25 10:22:30-0600 [KademliaProtocol] [WARNING] did not receive reply for msg id AY1ZxirieJKZzS/FOD3h2nnBwi8= within 3 seconds
2015-10-25 10:22:30-0600 [NodeSpiderCrawl] [DEBUG] creating spider with peers: []
2015-10-25 10:22:30-0600 [NodeSpiderCrawl] [DEBUG] crawling with nearest: ()
2015-10-25 10:22:30-0600 [NodeSpiderCrawl] [DEBUG] last iteration same as current - checking all in list now
2015-10-25 10:22:30-0600 [OpenBazaard] [INFO] bootstrap complete, downloading outstanding messages...
2015-10-25 10:22:30-0600 [Server] [WARNING] there are no known neighbors to get key 8c8a6160ef1fe57fd393e9f86648bf88cd6cb892
2015-10-25 10:22:36-0600 [Server] [WARNING] no known neighbors, so not writing to cache.
2015-10-25 10:22:46-0600 [Server] [WARNING] no known neighbors, so not writing to cache.

How's it going guys? I just finally felt in the mood to try this and I have the server compiling on my mining machine and a VPS. I just read on Stan's link that it can take up to 2 hours to compile and since my machines are pretty old, it may take longer, LOL. Did you guys get it up and running? I can't wait to see this, but it'll probably have to wait until morning :(

I also see there are some setup issues, eh? Are you choosing random ports or is there an OB official port? Is there any configure files to fill out? I mean, do you need to put in your IP address and such?

And maybe you all could answer a couple of other questions. Would a person who wants to sell something need to run a client and a server? Or just a client? And who runs these servers? Do they get compensation? and finally, if the seller's items are sold off of their own desktop, what happens if they shut it down? Does their sales page continue on in the network?

It took literally 12 hours or so to compile on XUbuntu running on Crouton (and my Chromebook Pixel is pretty quick usually!)

18467 = mainnet
28467 = testnet

Once you get the server running on your VPS let me know and I'll see if I can get my set up to connect to yours. Would be awesome to see what this looks like with a connected network (not even sure if it's really testable at this point though....)

No, still haven't got onto my ISP so not even sure there's a network there for it to link in with at the mo. Ran it on a VPS the last time to get around it and that worked out ok, it was easy enough to connect up to the html interface instead. It was a single app at that time so I'd guess the client/server setup they have now is made for that.

Lots of changes from the last time I tried this out - love the fact they're using node on the FrontEnd this time around. It makes it feel more like an application instead of a web page. Downside is I have a feeling getting to the rest of the UI without a functioning network will be kind of difficult.

Last edited:
I woke up to both machines showing error on not finding mock, so I pip install mock'd and re-tried make, it'll be a while ;P

Looks pretty nice Snogcel! I take it the client part is just a browser? And that it always connects to local server? It'd be nice to run seperately, so that I can use the browser anywhere without running a server.

Oh, one more question, those two items in the store, are they yours? Or are you actually connecting to someone else's setup?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, been compiling all day long, and continues to go, LOL. I guess we'll see if I can get it running tomorrow. I'm hoping that if someone takes up the torch, I'll be ready to help at least test if needed :)

Just reporting, I compiled with a ton of errors, 1638 files with errors and a pycheck error, so I'll have to try again when I get the chance. I don't think it'll work on the VPS as it has no graphics, so I'm not going to try there anymore. I've been wondering if this project could be ported to QT? Can any project be ported if it has a configuration and make file?

Just reporting, I compiled with a ton of errors, 1638 files with errors and a pycheck error, so I'll have to try again when I get the chance. I don't think it'll work on the VPS as it has no graphics, so I'm not going to try there anymore. I've been wondering if this project could be ported to QT? Can any project be ported if it has a configuration and make file?

What kind of errors? It compiled cleanly here once I'd got the dependencies sorted out, took a couple of hours on my long in the tooth desktop PC (Intel Q6600). Not had a good look at the source but porting it would probably be a sizable task. Did you find any info on the client/server relationship when you where reading up? I'd not looked into it that far but I'd imagine it's spit to be used over a network, server on a server and client on a phone, desktop, etc.

They both show over 1600 files with errors, well one is:

FAIL: Detected 1603 files with errors
make: *** [pycheck] Error 1

The other has 1638 files with errors otherwise the same result.

I got the newest download, which could have issues in it. At the time it was only a few hours old. It could be we have a better update now. The one was compiling forever, Started late morning and was still compiling when I went to bed, only to fail :/ But it's running 2 miners and P2pool and a wallet. So....? No worries though, I'll give 'er another try here soon after chores (being lazy and eating breakfast, LOL.)

I'd like to see the server part run on a separate machine, and eventually on Masternodes, with a client end that is as easy as Ebay to use if not easier, at least at first. The reason why I want the Masternodes to run the server, is because you're not going to get the average ebay buyer and seller to run anything complicated, ever. But if we make it super simple, we could get quite a few ebayers and etsyers to move over (and take the trouble of dealing with crypto) if it saves them a ton of money. And ebay takes 10% INCLUDING shipping, then paypal takes 4-5% more. 15% goes to fees! It's insane! I won't sell there anymore, and I got me a backlog! LOL And projects I'd like to put up for sale. But for what I have, I need little old ladies to move over and that requires ease.

And can you imagine granny telling grandkid "oh, have you heard of DashPay? It's a lovely system that I've moved to and it saves me a ton of money from ebay and paypal fees, and it's so easy to use!" Grandaughter "really? How does that work?" Grandma " well, have you heard of Bitcoin?" Granddaughter "Well, I heard of it, isn't it that illegal money thing?" Grandma "Oh heavens no! It's perfectly legal and there are other types of Crypto currencies, I use Dash because it's just like using cash. And they have a lovely auction site where I can sell my needlepoint and sewing items! You should check it out!"

Back