• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

on new computer: can't get my saved wallet.dat to open

FearEquity

Good evening,

I have set up a new computer, running Windows 10 and installed the latest Dash Core.
I did use the same software and same OS on my old PC, I just copied the wallet.dat to my new computer.

Now I just can't figure out how Dash Core will by default load my old wallet.
Tried renaming it to wallet.dat and copying it in the folder where dash-qt.exe is located.

I also tried opening the console in Dash Core and typed this:

wallet=<"My_wallet.dat">

prducing this error:

Method not found (code -32601)

Can anyone help me to get my wallet running again?
Thanks.

Bonus question (not important atm): How can I import my wallet in the electrum-dash-wallet?

Write down the path to the folder which contains your wallet.dat.

Example: c:\dash\dashwallet

Open a text file.

In the text file, type this:

start dash-qt.exe -datadir=THEPATHTOTHEFOLDEROFYOURWALLET.DAT

Save the file as a .bat file and place it in the folder which has your dash-qt.exe.

Make sure your Dash program is off, and double click on your newly created .bat file. That should work. Let me know!

Hey Tao,

thanks for the quick reply. I guess this only works, if the walletdat-file in the dashwallet folder is named "wallet.dat" - or does the client recognize any .dat file in the correct folder that is a wallet-file? Anway I renamed my My_wallet.dat to wallet.dat and created your batch file.
Now Dash Core has to sync again, may take a few hours (I am on a very slow connection) before I can tell if my balance is right, BUT, just as I am writing I can see there is indeed an incoming transaction from 7 days ago,
SO THANK YOU, I guess it worked!
: )

Hey Tao,

thanks for the quick reply. I guess this only works, if the walletdat-file in the dashwallet folder is named "wallet.dat" - or does the client recognize any .dat file in the correct folder that is a wallet-file? Anway I renamed my My_wallet.dat to wallet.dat and created your batch file.
Now Dash Core has to sync again, may take a few hours (I am on a very slow connection) before I can tell if my balance is right, BUT, just as I am writing I can see there is indeed an incoming transaction from 7 days ago,
SO THANK YOU, I guess it worked!
: )
No problem. Let me know if you encounter any other issues.

You can use Tools -> Show automatic backups and then go one folder up. You should find wallet.dat there.

Hey, I am happy my wallet is loaded correctly now, using the small batch-file. I have a little experience with mSIGNA for bitcoin and have created batch-files before.

BUT:

I just wonder why there isn't an option in Dash Core to easily manage multiple accounts and just "open" any wallet file on your computer like people are used to with other software. Dash is supposed to be digital cash, I think implementing these options to allow even my granma to easily access her account will be an essential step to make dash accessible to the masses. Just thought I had to throw this out there. ; )

Anyway, thanks again for the quick help!

You definitely can name your wallet anything.dat :)... just append -wallet=anything.dat to the shortcut's target.

For your My_wallet.dat example, then using Tao's batch file suggestion, append to the command like this:

start dash-qt.exe -datadir=THEPATHTOTHEFOLDEROFYOURWALLET.DAT -wallet="My_wallet.dat"

(the double quotes actually not necessary if no spaces)

Back