• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

New Win wallet install failed!

TrevorS

I'm running Win7 ultimate 64bit and the dash-0.11.1.26-win.zip wallet. The wallet is installed using the custom directory selection into a unique name directory in my D: partition. There are no associated files saved in the C: /roaming/ directory. The wallet runs fine (reports as 64bit), but yesterday it presented a message that I needed to update to the latest wallet.

So, I shut down the wallet (waited for the core to quit), then copied the directory to another name as a backup, and used control panel to remove the app. I then deleted the remaining files from the directory, copied the win-0.11.2.23-win32-setup.exe into the empty directory, and fired it off, using the custom directory selection as before to setup into the same directory as before. After completion and starting the QT it counted up 100% and the wallet came up reporting sync needed. I shut it down, deleted the index and block .dat files, replaced the new wallet with my original, and restarted the QT. It gave me repeating errors that I couldn't get passed and then I discovered another set of install files had been loaded into a new Dash directory under .../roaming (including blockchain, debug, wallet files). Tried subbing out those files as well, but it made no difference, the wallet/s? wouldn't run. I tried one last time from scratch just to verify when that wrong Dash roaming directory gets created and it happens following initial QT start up, has nothing to do with my swapping the wallet.dat file or deleting the initial index and block files. Also, the new wallet reports as 32bit, unlike the previous that worked.

So, I re-ran uninstall from the control panel, and tried to delete both file directories. The Dash file under roaming deleted normally, but my unique name directory in D: could not be either deleted or renamed! The system kept reporting it to still be open to a program -- left open by the quit and defunct new QT (there was nothing else)? I finally had to delete all files within the directory, and then reinstalled 0.11.1.26 from scratch, went fine, no Dash created under .../roaming. I shut down, deleted the new files, copied in my backup files, restarted, and was quickly back to normal.

I consider the new wallet to be garbage and in sore need of install/removal testing! Worst experience ever installing a wallet!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running Win7 ultimate 64bit and the dash-0.11.1.26-win.zip wallet. The wallet is installed using the custom directory selection into a unique name directory in my D: partition. There are no associated files saved in the C: /roaming/ directory. The wallet runs fine (reports as 64bit), but yesterday it presented a message that I needed to update to the latest wallet.

So, I shut down the wallet (waited for the core to quit), then copied the directory to another name as a backup, and used control panel to remove the app. I then deleted the remaining files from the directory, copied the win-0.11.2.23-win32-setup.exe into the empty directory, and fired it off, using the custom directory selection as before to setup into the same directory as before. After completion and starting the QT it counted up 100% and the wallet came up reporting sync needed. I shut it down, deleted the index and block .dat files, replaced the new wallet with my original, and restarted the QT. It gave me repeating errors that I couldn't get passed and then I discovered another set of install files had been loaded into a new Dash directory under .../roaming (including blockchain, debug, wallet files). Tried subbing out those files as well, but it made no difference, the wallet/s? wouldn't run. I tried one last time from scratch just to verify when that wrong Dash roaming directory gets created and it happens following initial QT start up, has nothing to do with my swapping the wallet.dat file or deleting the initial index and block files. Also, the new wallet reports as 32bit, unlike the previous that worked.

So, I re-ran uninstall from the control panel, and tried to delete both file directories. The Dash file under roaming deleted normally, but my unique name directory in D: could not be either deleted or renamed! The system kept reporting it to still be open to a program -- left open by the quit and defunct new QT (there was nothing else)? I finally had to delete all files within the directory, and then reinstalled 0.11.1.26 from scratch, went fine, no Dash created under .../roaming. I shut down, deleted the new files, copied in my backup files, restarted, and was quickly back to normal.

I consider the new wallet to be garbage and in sore need of install/removal testing! Worst experience ever installing a wallet!
LOL... It's fun to read your post, at the same time, it really confuses me... But anyways, I just installed that same version, and here are the things I've seen:

The checksums are missing... Maybe the devs, UdjinM6 or crowning or flare can help with this:

upload_2015-5-11_17-53-33.png

But I trust the site and my AV scanner so it seemed alright to install.. This is what I saw next:

upload_2015-5-11_17-54-29.png

The logo is missing... Again, I'm sure the devs will get this fixed....
But other than that it was installed just fine on my computer:

upload_2015-5-11_17-58-30.png

...But anyways, I just installed that same version, and here are the things I've seen:

The checksums are missing... Maybe the devs, UdjinM6 or crowning or flare can help with this:

View attachment 1356

The missing checksums are intentional...we're using the Gitian build system which creates identical binaries for all builds but the Windows setup file, thus the checksums would be different for each build and therefore useless.
The Windows .zip-files (and Linux + OSX) are fine, so everyone with Gitian can verify that those binaries are indeed build from the official sources.

I'll have a look into this one tomorrow...it's time to sleep in my neck of the woods :smile:

The missing checksums are intentional...we're using the Gitian build system which creates identical binaries for all builds but the Windows setup file, thus the checksums would be different for each build and therefore useless.
The Windows .zip-files (and Linux + OSX) are fine, so everyone with Gitian can verify that those binaries are indeed build from the official sources.

I'll have a look into this one tomorrow...it's time to sleep in my neck of the woods :smile:
Hey, thanks, Crowning for this explanation. And congratz to you for the good news!!! :)

I couldn't find anything wrong with the build configuration for the Windows installer in "setup.nsi.in", it's identical to the official Bitcoin Core client so the vertical Dash logo should be visible, but isn't...

But I'm not a Windows expert, so maybe we should ask flare who isn't a Windows expert either :grin:

I couldn't find anything wrong with the build configuration for the Windows installer in "setup.nsi.in", it's identical to the official Bitcoin Core client so the vertical Dash logo should be visible, but isn't...

But I'm not a Windows expert, so maybe we should ask flare who isn't a Windows expert either :grin:
I'll have a look :D

I'm not a fan of the new logo so it doesn't bother me. The old logo looks much better, but I thought having the logo there (like it used to be) makes it more official to ease someone's doubt about the wallet...

Thanks for looking into this.
flare , thank you, too! :)

If anyone comes up with a new Windows wallet version that works properly using the alternate directory selection (doesn't also create a set of .../roaming/dash files) I'll be happy to give it a try. Thanks!

PS. If it's not clear, the reason for immediately shutting down the QT after it initializes (before syncing) is to re-install the old wallet.dat file. My experience w/ other QT wallets is that if the QT wallet restarts the blockhain build from scratch with the old wallet.dat then it will load properly. If that doesn't work with this wallet, then what is the recommended procedure? (I did try running the daemon after copying in the old wallet, but the receive address didn't change to reflect the old wallet and so I don't think it was successful, of course, which directory was the QT actually working out of?)

If anyone comes up with a new Windows wallet version that works properly using the alternate directory selection (doesn't also create a set of .../roaming/dash files) I'll be happy to give it a try. Thanks!
I made a guide for installing multiple wallets from different directories other than /roaming/dash here:
https://dashtalk.org/threads/reques...wallets-on-the-same-computer.4050/#post-42910

You can follow that guide to create just one wallet. Also, change "Darkcoin" to "Dash", and "darkcoin-qt.exe" to "dash-qt.exe". If you have more questions let me know.
PS. If it's not clear, the reason for immediately shutting down the QT after it initializes (before syncing) is to re-install the old wallet.dat file. My experience w/ other QT wallets is that if the QT wallet restarts the blockhain build from scratch with the old wallet.dat then it will load properly. If that doesn't work with this wallet, then what is the recommended procedure? (I did try running the daemon after copying in the old wallet, but the receive address didn't change to reflect the old wallet and so I don't think it was successful, of course, which directory was the QT actually working out of?)
It shouldn't give you any trouble by doing that. Or you can do some different ways, one way is let the Dash-qt to sync, then rename the wallet.dat that Dash created into something else like "wallet.dat.dash", then move your wallet.dat from the Darkcoin folder to this Dash folder, and restart the Dash-qt.

Now I'm even more confused. I don't want to run multiple wallets, I want to perform the identical function as I was able to perform with the previous wallet install. Per the install dialog, install the one wallet into the alternative target directory. How do I make that work? Right now the thing also creates a .../roaming/Dash directory? When I tried to replace the new wallet.dat file in my selected directory including deleting the block and index .dat files, all I got was errors following restart of the QT.

By the way, why the wallet change, something real or is it just cosmetic?

Now I'm even more confused. I don't want to run multiple wallets, I want to perform the identical function as I was able to perform with the previous wallet install. Per the install dialog, install the one wallet into the alternative target directory. How do I make that work? Right now the thing also creates a .../roaming/Dash directory? When I tried to replace the new wallet.dat file in my selected directory including deleting the block and index .dat files, all I got was errors following restart of the QT.
Ok, let me make sure I understand your question. You would like to install your dash data folder (the folder that has wallet.dat) in another directory, not in \roaming\dash, correct?

Ok, let me make sure I understand your question. You would like to install your dash data folder (the folder that has wallet.dat) in another directory, not in \roaming\dash, correct?
Different wallets behave differently on this score. The standard seems to be the QT itself lands in the specified target, in some cases the entire shebang lands in the specified target, and there are also intermediate examples. The previous wallet (which I'm currently using), installs the whole shebang into the specified target directory, there is no .../roaming/Dash created! So, that is what I'd expect this wallet to do as well.

Given absolute preferences, I've no problem at all with the chain files and wallet.dat landing under .../roaming/Dash instead of the specified target, but I have a very large problem with having those files created in both locations -- that's an obvious flaw (popularly referred to as a bug)!

Different wallets behave differently on this score. The standard seems to be the QT itself lands in the specified target, in some cases the entire shebang lands in the specified target, and there are also intermediate examples. The previous wallet (which I'm currently using), installs the whole shebang into the specified target directory, there is no .../roaming/Dash created! So, that is what I'd expect this wallet to do as well.

Given absolute preferences, I've no problem at all with the chain files and wallet.dat landing under .../roaming/Dash instead of the specified target, but I have a very large problem with having those files created in both locations -- that's an obvious flaw (popularly referred to as a bug)!

I'm not on windows so things could be different. But i just tested your theory and its wrong, maybe it's just windows? Can someone test it? heres what I did.
1) Deleted all my dash directory files
2) Download new Dash-qt
3) Open New Dash-QT, when asked what data directory, I choose a custom directory that I created on my desktop
4) New dash wallet loads
5) Data directory is on my desktop with my chainstate, blocks, wallet.dat, etc.
6) Close new dash wallet
7) Check the default home/user/ to see if an alternate data directory was created when I chose the custom data directory. No .dash folder found in the default directory, only where I choose to custom place it (on desktop).
8) Replace new wallet.dat with my backup wallet.dat.
9) Open dash-qt again, back up wallet loaded. Balance is there.
10) Close dash-qt again. Check the default data directory again to see if any alternate data directories were created, NONE.

Honestly I think its user error, or a windows thing. Someone on windows should try this exact same thing and let us know what the results are.

Trevor, have you tried using a different data directory on your D drive instead of the one you were using for your old wallet?

I have windows 32-bit in VM only and it worked as expected. I even tried network drive - no problems...

TrevorS try running wallet with "-choosedatadir" and choose your folder again.
If that doesn't help use regedit, got to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Dash\Dash-Qt key and look for "strDataDir" variable there. What value do you see? Try changing it to your path and run again.
Also can you please delete debug.log, run wallet once, close it and then send me newly generated debug.log? [email protected]

I'm not on windows so things could be different. But i just tested your theory and its wrong, maybe it's just windows? Can someone test it? heres what I did.
1) Deleted all my dash directory files
2) Download new Dash-qt
3) Open New Dash-QT, when asked what data directory, I choose a custom directory that I created on my desktop
4) New dash wallet loads
5) Data directory is on my desktop with my chainstate, blocks, wallet.dat, etc.
6) Close new dash wallet
7) Check the default home/user/ to see if an alternate data directory was created when I chose the custom data directory. No .dash folder found in the default directory, only where I choose to custom place it (on desktop).
8) Replace new wallet.dat with my backup wallet.dat.
9) Open dash-qt again, back up wallet loaded. Balance is there.
10) Close dash-qt again. Check the default data directory again to see if any alternate data directories were created, NONE.

Honestly I think its user error, or a windows thing. Someone on windows should try this exact same thing and let us know what the results are.

Trevor, have you tried using a different data directory on your D drive instead of the one you were using for your old wallet?
I can verify that Dash version "win-0.11.2.23-win32-setup.exe" works on windows exactly like what you describe. For testing this scenario, I choose the directory C:\DashStash and the wallet data shows up there, and there's no "Dash" folder under \roaming\...

upload_2015-5-16_16-26-8.png

I was confused about what he said so I guess my posts didn't help him, so I just re-read his first post and noted he said:

After completion and starting the QT it counted up 100% and the wallet came up reporting sync needed. I shut it down, deleted the index and block .dat files, replaced the new wallet with my original, and restarted the QT. It gave me repeating errors that I couldn't get passed and then I discovered another set of install files had been loaded into a new Dash directory under .../roaming (including blockchain, debug, wallet files).
I'm assuming he meant he deleted the "blocks" and "chainstate" folders in the new Dash data folder and replaced them with the old ones. So to test this, I did the same thing. The result: Still there is NO Dash folder created under the \roaming\... directory. My wallet runs from that C:\DashStash directory. There's a slight difference: He's trying to run his wallet from the D:\ directory... Is there a difference? The last time I made a partition for a D:\ directory was eons ago, but I don't see how this can be any different to cause the wallet not to work in that directory.

I use multiple partitions and physical drives in a single PC regularly. This particular PC started with a single drive containing C: and D: and the original DASH wallet installed and ran fine, but I ran out of C: space and so added a separate drive for D: and extended C: to fill the first drive, the Dash wallet continued to work properly.

I've finally concluded that the QT doesn't like the directory name "DASH(Drk)" even though it is valid and the previous QT didn't raise objection -- a parsing change it seems. Had to shut down everything and reboot the PC to remove the old directory name. So, I now have the new wallet installed w/o a partner under .../roaming, however, I'm still seeing something I don't understand, perhaps you can explain. The wallet is sync'd (by copying the previous block, chain and wallet files to the new directory) and the previous transactions are listed, all referencing the old receive address. Two questions!

1) When I go to "Receive", I'm told a new address, not my old. That has me worried, why a new address? If any transfers occur now, will the old address still work OK? What's that all about?

2) Also, as I asked earlier, what was the reason for this wallet change?

Thanks -- Trevor

I use multiple partitions and physical drives in a single PC regularly. This particular PC started with a single drive containing C: and D: and the original DASH wallet installed and ran fine, but I ran out of C: space and so added a separate drive for D: and extended C: to fill the first drive, the Dash wallet continued to work properly.

I've finally concluded that the QT doesn't like the directory name "DASH(Drk)" even though it is valid and the previous QT didn't raise objection -- a parsing change it seems. Had to shut down everything and reboot the PC to remove the old directory name. So, I now have the new wallet installed w/o a partner under .../roaming, however, I'm still seeing something I don't understand, perhaps you can explain. The wallet is sync'd (by copying the previous block, chain and wallet files to the new directory) and the previous transactions are listed, all referencing the old receive address. Two questions!

1) When I go to "Receive", I'm told a new address, not my old. That has me worried, why a new address? If any transfers occur now, will the old address still work OK? What's that all about?

2) Also, as I asked earlier, what was the reason for this wallet change?

Thanks -- Trevor

I tried "DASH(Drk)" folder name and it works fine for me without any issues.

1) "Receive" tab now shows payment requests and not a list of receiving addresses as earlier. To get a list of your receiving addresses please use menu "File" -> "Receiving addresses..."
2) I don't get the question, can you clarify?

To UdjinM6

OK, so I'm at pretty much of a loss on the directory name issue. I originally used that name with the previous wallet install and no problems, tried it again with the new install (manually re-creating that directory having renamed the original as backup) and nothing but problems, including inability to either rename or delete said directory (I manually created the original as well, that's my norm). Oh well, given the shutdown, reboot, manual directory removal and fresh install, it's now working, but in directory D:\Dash (went vanilla to try to play safe).

Thanks for the info on the receive wallet address, my old one is indeed listed. A welcome comfort! :)

On my second question, all was fine with my previous wallet (as far as I know) when the previous Saturday (a week back) the overview page presented a message that I needed to install the new wallet. That's what started me on this journey. However, I've still no idea what the rationale was behind updating the wallet (as in what had changed) or equivalently, what I've gained by doing so. Is there an explanation?

Thanks -- Trevor

To UdjinM6

OK, so I'm at pretty much of a loss on the directory name issue. I originally used that name with the previous wallet install and no problems, tried it again with the new install (manually re-creating that directory having renamed the original as backup) and nothing but problems, including inability to either rename or delete said directory (I manually created the original as well, that's my norm). Oh well, given the shutdown, reboot, manual directory removal and fresh install, it's now working, but in directory D:\Dash (went vanilla to try to play safe).

Thanks for the info on the receive wallet address, my old one is indeed listed. A welcome comfort! :)

On my second question, all was fine with my previous wallet (as far as I know) when the previous Saturday (a week back) the overview page presented a message that I needed to install the new wallet. That's what started me on this journey. However, I've still no idea what the rationale was behind updating the wallet (as in what had changed) or equivalently, what I've gained by doing so. Is there an explanation?

Thanks -- Trevor

Locked folder - (just a guess) - could be that previous dash process hanged in memory for some reason/bug or some antivirus software or maybe even system process locked that folder. And that prevented new wallet from accessing it so wallet used a fallback to default instead of actual settings. When you rebooted there was nothing to hold wallet from using this folder anymore because every previously running precesses were killed during that reboot.

2) Ahhh... I see now.
TL;DR; (not actually :grin:) https://dashtalk.org/threads/11-2-dash-release.4515/

Long version: actually lots of improvements comparing to 0.11.1.26 was made including visual fixes and some internal:
- merging latest major bitcoin fixes
- lots of internal performance optimizations (DS inputs caching, masternode list caching, litemode fixes, rpc improvements)
- features (PoSe, donations, simple voting, autobackup)
- bug fixes (fixed few crashes, block db corruption and some minor bugs)
600+ commits in total https://github.com/dashpay/dash/compare/v0.11.1.x...master

And you raised a good point actually: with all that rebranding, voting and lots of other discussions and development we didn't make proper (i.e. readable by normal human) release notes for 11.2 :oops: Thanks for pointing this out!

So I just started this https://github.com/dashpay/dash/pull/336
Pinging crowning and flare for help :smile: (guys, please leave comments about release notes on github, not here)

Back