• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Is Segregated Witness also coming to DASH?

You guys are so mature and sensible its a breath of fresh air. Here's a different concern I have. Lack of Liquidity. On Poloniex Dash can yield lending rates of up to 1% per day sometimes. Other currencies are more like .01 or less. This is because everyone stashes their Dash in Masternodes where it is safe a generates income. But that will lead to serious shortages when Dash gets popular. I know, we want that, the price will skyrocket, but is it possible that the supply will become too tight to service a serious audience if everyone with Dash saves it?

If you're interested in the finer points of that argument then I'd suggest looking for discussions on it from 2013 and before on bitcointalk as there where a few really good threads about the block size issue that went into great detail and where very constructive, practically everything since has been little more than a slagging match in comparison. This community is fairly similar to the Bitcoin community back then, what happened to it since is anyones guess but it ain't pretty :/

The liquidity in the masternodes rather than the markets is sometimes seen as a bad thing but personally I think it's one of the best features of Dash. Markets are often perceived as being the most fair and unbiased way of finding the value of something but spend some time tracking them and it's clear that's a false perception, markets can remain irrational indefinitely. One example of that was bitcoin markets for about a 6 month period in early 2014, the "China bans Bitcoin" period. During all that time and practically without exception any good news was sure to move the markets down and any bad to move them it up. Iirc that period ended with "The killing of the bearwhale" which was its self a falsehood, it's far from dead but it finds it very difficult to bend Dashes shallow markets to its will. It should be even harder for anyone to gain a controlling position on distributed exchanges and they're slowly gaining ground but for now we're stuck with centralised exchanges and I feel Dash is much safer with the liquidity away from them.

If you're interested in the finer points of that argument then I'd suggest looking for discussions on it from 2013 and before on bitcointalk as there where a few really good threads about the block size issue that went into great detail and where very constructive, practically everything since has been little more than a slagging match in comparison. This community is fairly similar to the Bitcoin community back then, what happened to it since is anyones guess but it ain't pretty :/

The liquidity in the masternodes rather than the markets is sometimes seen as a bad thing but personally I think it's one of the best features of Dash. Markets are often perceived as being the most fair and unbiased way of finding the value of something but spend some time tracking them and it's clear that's a false perception, markets can remain irrational indefinitely. One example of that was bitcoin markets for about a 6 month period in early 2014, the "China bans Bitcoin" period. During all that time and practically without exception any good news was sure to move the markets down and any bad to move them it up. Iirc that period ended with "The killing of the bearwhale" which was its self a falsehood, it's far from dead but it finds it very difficult to bend Dashes shallow markets to its will. It should be even harder for anyone to gain a controlling position on distributed exchanges and they're slowly gaining ground but for now we're stuck with centralised exchanges and I feel Dash is much safer with the liquidity away from them.

OK - I will have a search, but I expect you know more than me. I think I expect that shallow markets are easier to control, since I imagine them to be more responsive to influence, but you are saying its exactly the opposite. I also imagine a volatile currency will find it harder to become mainstream, but I think we agree that we are not going to change it, the only thing we can do is be aware and make decisions in that light.

OK - I will have a search, but I expect you know more than me. I think I expect that shallow markets are easier to control, since I imagine them to be more responsive to influence, but you are saying its exactly the opposite. I also imagine a volatile currency will find it harder to become mainstream, but I think we agree that we are not going to change it, the only thing we can do is be aware and make decisions in that light.

I'd have thought the same, that the thinner market would be more volatile but for some reason the opposite seems to be the case. At a guess that's because masternode collateral can be moved easily but it's only worth moving it for major changes, the liquidity is there but its movements are less predictable than liquidity on exchanges. The fiat price of Dash has been extremely stable for long periods in the past, probably the most stable of any crypto but lately things have got... erratic :/

In general most folks don't really put a whole lot of priority on the price, the stability and rise of the masternode count usually gets more attention and the thing that interests me most at the mo is the rise in transaction volume. You'll probably see less speculation discussion with Dash than with any other cryptocurrency, we're in it for the long haul :)

Perhaps early adopters are in it for the long haul, but I suspect the recent volatility is attracting a lot of speculators. It would be interesting to see if masternode operators would/could dampen the volatility by selling into peaks and buying into valleys -- basically provide a pool of liquidity.

Perhaps early adopters are in it for the long haul, but I suspect the recent volatility is attracting a lot of speculators. It would be interesting to see if masternode operators would/could dampen the volatility by selling into peaks and buying into valleys -- basically provide a pool of liquidity.

They already do to some degree but this is one of those crazy phases where things get re-evaluated and a new point of stability is established, a rise attracts attention which in turn pushes things even higher which in turn creates even more attention... and so on. Bitcoin went through several of them in quick succession but this is the first for Dash and it's unlikely to be the last, it would be possible to create far better stabilising mechanisms than individuals adding liquidity to exchanges but it's doubtful they could smooth out these kind of shifts.

As far as I can tell it's mostly from an awful lot of people taking a look at Dash and realising it isn't just some copycat bitclone project, it has actually delivered some kickass features and if continues to deliver on its promises then it has by far the best chance of mainstream adoption. Most folks don't pay a whole lot of attention to a cryptos fundamentals, there are too many of the damn things to get a clear understanding of how they all work but it doesn't take much digging to see the potential. Instant transactions and half a million dollars a month to spend on improvements are enough on their own to justify a place in the top three and that's only the beginning, just wait 'till folks get a load of Evolution! :)

Back