• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Inspiring Dash Developer

Bonesdog

I would like to be the go to guy for optimizing, and standardizing code as it seems to be something fairly easy for a new developer to grasp with little to no experience with a new piece of software; and then over time hopefully be able to create rather than tinker and repair.

My programing knowledge is unlimited given the proper amount of time to read I can do anything.

Can someone whom has developed for Dash and/or general software point me in the correct direction to ensure I can be of much use for the community? (IE general approaches for doing what I would like to start out doing which is again, standardizing our code and optimizing.)

If what I am wanting to do is not for 'Beginner Developer' than please direct me somewhere more appropriate. (Perhaps a tester of software; this would allow me to read the code, understand what is going on, and find bugs)

Using the term 'Beginner' loosely as I have not much experience with others so I have absolutely no idea where I place as a developer. However, I have been programing as a 'hobby' some would say for over a decade and Love Math if that portrays anything about myself at all.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I do hope we all can be of much assistance to each other :)

Welcome to Dash! Anyone can contribute in their own way.

What experience have you as a developer?

If you like testing, you should contact moli as she is our unofficial head of testing. Anyone is free to look at the code at any time and suggest improvements.

Thank you for your interest, we can use all of the help we can get building true digital cash!

In an attempt to keep a post short that would otherwise go very long:

Java, Ruby, JavaScript, Rails, JQuery, Common Lisp, HTML, CSS, Python, PHP, MC Scripting, NBT, json, XML, XHTML, C, Objective C, C++, C#, Linux, BSD, Windows....

blablabla... (A useless list of language and software that I could continue further but have no reason)

Unfortunately I do not really "Know" what I know, as I have rarely worked with others... But I feel a good leader above myself that says "Hey do this" would be the most beneficial way to find out :) (Until I get the hang of things and can then go off and make wonderful things sparkle)

I have made games before, and have a few compression ideas.. See the issue her lies with what I know and then converting it to practical use. I have no official schooling other than web development (Which in this case I feel has less benefits as most people know how to do this) But everything else I can do has been self taught.

I literally spend every day learning new languages, software, hardware; I wouldn't really know how to say what I know how to do if that makes sense at all!

I went ahead and message moli in hopes she or he (Not sure?) can point me somewhere to start. I will go ahead and search for all the resources and code of dash and start taking a look.

Let me put it this way; I can read code, even if I had never seen it before, I can figure it out with enough time! I feel this is at least enough to say I am a beginner :)

I do apologize if I ramble, but again thank you for taking the time to read my post!

If I cannot help today, I want to learn today; So tomorrow I can.

If you like testing, you should contact moli as she is our unofficial head of testing. Anyone is free to look at the code at any time and suggest improvements.
LOL... Thanks, Tao, but please don't say that.. I am not a head of anything, unofficially or not. (OH and btw, i hate that word "official" but we can talk about that at another time..:)
Can someone whom has developed for Dash and/or general software point me in the correct direction to ensure I can be of much use for the community? (IE general approaches for doing what I would like to start out doing which is again, standardizing our code and optimizing.)

If what I am wanting to do is not for 'Beginner Developer' than please direct me somewhere more appropriate. (Perhaps a tester of software; this would allow me to read the code, understand what is going on, and find bugs)
Hi, welcome to the Dash community! :)

flare is our Testnet dev leading the testing team, and i've been just a part of it.
UdjinM6 is also one of our devs. You can contact them any time.

We just released the version 12, right now we're not testing but Testnet is always open, you can use it freely.
Here's the thread for testing tools and resources: https://dashtalk.org/threads/testnet-tools-resources.1768/
And this is where you can find the code: https://github.com/dashpay/dash/tree/v0.12.0.x

We would be happy if you can help find more bugs. :)

Java, Ruby, JavaScript, Rails, JQuery, Common Lisp, HTML, CSS, Python, PHP, MC Scripting, NBT, json, XML, XHTML, C, Objective C, C++, C#, Linux, BSD, Windows....

blablabla... (A useless list of language and software that I could continue further but have no reason)

Unfortunately I do not really "Know" what I know, as I have rarely worked with others... But I feel a good leader above myself that says "Hey do this" would be the most beneficial way to find out :) (Until I get the hang of things and can then go off and make wonderful things sparkle)
Wow... You seem to know a lot of programming languages! However, I need to ask you regarding what you said that I hi-lighted: have you ever worked on an open-source project? Since Dash is an open source project, nobody will tell you "hey do this".. and we had this discussion here: https://dashtalk.org/threads/a-little-story.6021/

moli I figured that would be the case, and no I have never worked with others. I have spend the majority of my coding life in quite a small bubble of my own.

The most I had done is attend a programming competition where in a team we developed an app that automatically text people back after driving over a specific threshold speed and also disables your phone and allows you to input a custom response, and even in that case the majority of the code was my own as the team lead me with "We should do this".

Other team related projects I have partaken in would be my own Minecraft server. Here however I am the one that say "Devs, we need to make this" and as they make it I merely go back it make their applications more practically, efficient, etc. (And on the side develop Rcon, Remote control for the server in quite a few different ways.. Java and Ruby gem are the two ways I am working with right now, the gem would go great with a site... I ramble! )

I attempted to join another open source project CodeCombat but had issues figuring out where I would fit best as a beginner and eventually dropped the project. (A wonder project I may note!!)

I am extremely self motivated, so regardless of direction eventually I will find my nitch in this community :)

Though through my own personal experience sometimes someone just saying "Hey this may need to be done" or me reading over a thread regarding future goals is all that is needed to get this truck a trucking!

So no, I have never worked with an open source project

It may take some getting use to, but I will I promise :)

Last edited by a moderator:
moli I figured that would be the case, and no I have never worked with others. I have spend the majority of my coding life in quite a small bubble of my own.

The most I had done is attend a programming competition where in a team we developed an app that automatically text people back after driving over a specific threshold speed and also disables your phone and allows you to input a custom response, and even in that case the majority of the code was my own as the team lead me with "We should do this".

Other team related projects I have partaken in would be my own Minecraft server. Here however I am the one that say "Devs, we need to make this" and as they make it I merely go back it make their applications more practically, efficient, etc. (And on the side develop Rcon, Remote control for the server in quite a few different ways.. Java and Ruby gem are the two ways I am working with right now, the gem would go great with a site... I ramble! )

I attempted to join another open source project CodeCombat but had issues figuring out where I would fit best as a beginner and eventually dropped the project. (A wonder project I may note!!)

I am extremely self motivated, so regardless of direction eventually I will find my nitch in this community :)

Though through my own personal experience sometimes someone just saying "Hey this may need to be done" or me reading over a thread regarding future goals is all that is needed to get this truck a trucking!

So no, I have never worked with an open source project

It may take some getting use to, but I will I promise :)
You're already ahead of a lot of us here. Are you on IRC Freenode? That's where you can find a lot of programmers and hackers with projects too. Get on IRC so we can talk :)

moli I have not joined yet, actually looking around trying to find it :p (By the time you attempt to tell me, ill have found it I bet XD)

Anyways I am actually about to hit the hay for the night, I have a little girl to watch over tomorrow and a wife that will need much cuddles.

I will hop on for a moment, and defiantly be on from today on! (I spelled that one word wrong... but you know what I mean)

Much Thanks to you all for just a heart warming welcome to the community :)

I really do appreciate it!

moli I have not joined yet, actually looking around trying to find it :p (By the time you attempt to tell me, ill have found it I bet XD)

Anyways I am actually about to hit the hay for the night, I have a little girl to watch over tomorrow and a wife that will need much cuddles.

I will hop on for a moment, and defiantly be on from today on! (I spelled that one word wrong... but you know what I mean)

Much Thanks to you all for just a heart warming welcome to the community :)

I really do appreciate it!

Dashpay on freenode
http://www.dashchat.co

I forgot to let you know crowning is also one of our devs and she works on our wallet. If you'd like to help improve our wallet, that would be a plus. Here's the thread: https://dashtalk.org/threads/enhanced-darkcoin-wallet-ui.1705/page-30

Thank you. :)

TaoOfSatoshi Id have to say I know more python than C++, but either way its not like It takes but a bit of snooping around to figure out anything that is needed to be accomplished in any language! (I have been in a few more formal scenarios for python than C++)

and thank you moli for more direction :) Ill spend today reading over material and see where I would best fit!

TaoOfSatoshi Id have to say I know more python than C++, but either way its not like It takes but a bit of snooping around to figure out anything that is needed to be accomplished in any language! (I have been in a few more formal scenarios for python than C++)

and thank you moli for more direction :) Ill spend today reading over material and see where I would best fit!
Great. I love your enthusiasm...you remind me of me! :grin:

After reading over some of the material I have decided to attempt to write test cases as it seems we lack in that area! It may be a rough start, but hopefully I can make progress soon. (I took a good chunk of online schooling writing all the test cases before writing any code... very tedious work)

Back