• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Idea: Spread Dash via Tipping in Real Life

xdashguy

The best marketing of a virtual currency is likely "pounding the pavement" and exposing Dash to people.

A service that made giving Dash tips to restaurant servers and other tipped people in real life would be a GREAT marketing avenue. Essentially, if WE, the Dash community, start giving tips to service people in DASH, then with very little effort we can spread the DASH message.

Why is this a good strategy?

Benefits for Dash Community Tippers:

1. It requires very little effort, so getting the community to actually do it will probably not be hard
  2. It will save them money as when servers do not claim their tip the money will revert back to the dash tipper. A certain % of people tipped will not redeem the tip, so it means saved money for the Dash tippers
  3. It will spread Dash usage, the # of people who hold Dash, and expose the idea of crypto to a segement of the population that probably has not heard about it much.
Benefits for Service People who get Tipped:

1. They get a tip that is "off-the-books" so there is more leeway in tax declaration
  2. They will likely give higher tips (I assume Dash Tippers will tip higher especially since only a certain % of tips will be redeemed)
  3. They will get exposed to the next generation money
How to implement this service?
  1. Create a simple website where people can create an account with a Dash balance
  2. When at the restaurant use a smart phone to go to dashtips.com to create a redemption code from your account. This code will be a number
  3. Give a card to the waiter or write on the receipt that they need to go to dashtips.com and input their redemption code to get their tip of $x (whatever you tipped them)
  4. When the Dash is redeemed it will provide educational information on what is Dash, how it benefits them to continue to use it, where to spend it, how to download a wallet, etc.
  5. If the tip is not redeemed after X days, then the Dash is returned to the tip holder.
How to get the Dash Community to Tip?

The success of this service depends on the Dash Community Tippers. If people are not giving the tips when they go eat and do things in their daily life, then it will fail as a marketing tool.

I expect the Dash Community to tip due to the "Benefits for Dash Community Tippers" above. It will be in their self-interest to give tips, so that is a good motivator. In addition to the above, the tip running service can provide additional incentives such as:
  1. Create (optional) public leader board of those accounts with the highest % of redeemed tips
  2. Provide incentives such as randomly giving jackpots to tippers when tips are redeemed. This can be paid for from the fee the service providers takes from redeemed tips.

What is the benefit for the running the tipping service?
  1. Charge a % of every redeemed tip and earn Dash yourself
  2. Grow the Dash community (which I assume you are invested in)
I estimate this type of service would take 400 hours to create, so investment is not huge.

Reactions: daf
I made this a while back for family members:
dash-gift-wallet.jpg

Yes, I've previously suggested this at protocol level i.e. expiring payments if not claimed within 48 hours. But I'd settle for a third party website instead and I would definitely use it. In my case, I would prefer to give pre-printed cards e.g. I would activate the card myself with a QR code just before handing it over.

Yes, I was imagining pre-printed cards. Since someone won't have a printer available at a restaurant and because someone would not know the tip-amount beforeand I was imagining a pre-printed card with a fillable area for the redemption code.

I made this a while back for family members:

This idea is not about merchants accepting Dash. That is a chicken and egg problem that I do not care to address. This is about Dash Community forcing Dash onto employees of businesses by exploiting the tipping system in countries like the USA. Once employees learn about Dash and have Dash they can then advocate to the owners to accept Dash from customers directly.

Here is the point: service staff always accept Dash. They don't need to be convinced. They accept whatever currency is given to them or else they lose their tip. So, let's exploit that by spreading the word of Dash via real-life tipping and give these people Dash instead of USD.

I like the Idea, but its success depends on the local culture and my interpretation is contrary to yours.

In most countries in Europe rips are not as big of a deal as in the US, so I think it could work. They don't expect big tips, so this is almost free money and they may check it out.

However, in the US I think a lot of servers would hate that you "play" with their tip. It is theirs and it is expected of you to pay it, so if you come up talking of internet magic money they may even resent Dash.

I like the Idea, but its success depends on the local culture and my interpretation is contrary to yours.

In most countries in Europe rips are not as big of a deal as in the US, so I think it could work. They don't expect big tips, so this is almost free money and they may check it out.

However, in the US I think a lot of servers would hate that you "play" with their tip. It is theirs and it is expected of you to pay it, so if you come up talking of internet magic money they may even resent Dash.

Not really, dash is meant to be "digital cash"... tipping is the perfect example where people like to use cash / digital cash.

For me, I don't want to be fluffing about with real cash and I don't want to be having a long conversation about bitcoin, QR codes etc. I want to sit in my uber, activate a tip and quickly hand it to the driver on exit.

Not really, dash is meant to be "digital cash"... tipping is the perfect example where people like to use cash / digital cash.

For me, I don't want to be fluffing about with real cash and I don't want to be having a long conversation about bitcoin, QR codes etc. I want to sit in my uber, activate a tip and quickly hand it to the driver on exit.
I agree, but if the driver doesn't know/care about Dash, he will understand this as giving him a store coupon. Even if it is from a store he frequents, it will not be perceived as money. And you are not gonna avoid the conversation about it, you'll have to explain.

I agree, but if the driver doesn't know/care about Dash, he will understand this as giving him a store coupon. Even if it is from a store he frequents, it will not be perceived as money. And you are not gonna avoid the conversation about it, you'll have to explain.

Mmm, I don't know... the coupon could clearly state a dollar value (and "digital cash") and I'd simply say, "thanks, take this, it's like bitcoin but better".. end of conversation.

Not if the Dash tip is more than they would have expected in fiat. I think it's a good idea. It will make them want to understand how to retrieve the said value of the voucher thus promting them into learning more about the crypto world.
That's not to say I don't agree with you, I'm sure your going to get a couple of insulting looks from waitresses when forcing a coupon that can be redeemed for cash online. The value of the Dash tip would have to be greatly increased to illuminate any possibility of them throwing something at you.!!

Not if the Dash tip is more than they would have expected in fiat.

Exactly. And giving higher tips would be very possible because not all tips would be redeemed. Let's pretend 50% of tips will be redeemed (likely be less than that like 20% let's be honest), that would mean that tips can now be 2x higher for no additional economic cost to the tipper. So instead getting tipped $10 the server gets tipped $20. Due to the redemption rate the net-cost to the tipper will be the same as if they tipped $10 in USD cash.

Back