• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How does Dash handle disputes between miners and masternodes?

Denzilb55

What happens if Masternodes vote for a feature to be developed, and it is, but then no miners decide to upgrade? How does this prevent a situation similar to the bitcoin SW vs BU deadlock problem?

I'm sure this problem is solved somehow in Dash but just wanted to know how.

Good question and it was considered a while back when it was obvious miners had Bitcoin by the... unmentionables. Evan mentioned having a solution to it but never went into detail on it, it's not really an issue at the mo and enforcement could resolve it as things are but I'd expect something much more elegant if it started looking like a potential problem.

Thanks, I think I understand it more or less.

How is it decided when enforcement is enabled? Is it by the developers or the masternodes?

Dash really seems to have all the bases covered that were missed by bitcoin. It would be interesting to see if Dash will put enough pressure on bitcoin for them to finally make decisions and put systems in place to avoid similar situations - or if Dash will overtake bitcoin. I went in 50 / 50 (bought Dash with half of my bitcoin), but now the Dash bit is already growing faster than bitcoin. I suppose it can come down again, but I'll keep hodling :)

How is it decided when enforcement is enabled? Is it by the developers or the masternodes?
Right now the devs control the switch, but 12.1 upgraded the governance system so that those kind of controls could be handed to the masternodes in the future.

Very clever stuff. Thanks. It makes me feel a bit more comfortable about Dash. I'll admit that the instamine claims has me a bit weary, but not really enough to stop me from investing. The tech is just too good (Bitcoin v2!). I read both papers and it just seems obvious that Dash will work. I also comfort myself against the instamine claims, that even if it's true (that it was intentional), the first people to jump on the bitcoin train have millions of coins, so really its no different. And well, I suppose it makes sense to get some coins early on if you are the dev.

Very clever stuff. Thanks. It makes me feel a bit more comfortable about Dash. I'll admit that the instamine claims has me a bit weary, but not really enough to stop me from investing. The tech is just too good (Bitcoin v2!). I read both papers and it just seems obvious that Dash will work. I also comfort myself against the instamine claims, that even if it's true (that it was intentional), the first people to jump on the bitcoin train have millions of coins, so really its no different. And well, I suppose it makes sense to get some coins early on if you are the dev.

Believe me, if you'd had to suffer the same few people repeating that same term over and over every single day for years you'd absolutely detest hearing it! That "awareness" was part of a marketing campaign by a perceived competitor and Dash wasn't their only target, a very nasty group indeed. Like you say, the demographics of initial distribution changes an awful lot depending on the point of view and Dash has always tried to be open about it but the amount of noise that campaign generated had to be seen to be believed. The initial distribution has been gone over independently many times and there's a summary on the wiki:
https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/OC/Dash+Instamine+Issue+Clarification

Back