• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Help, Dark coins didn't transfer to Dash Wallet

Roomec3

Can anyone help me? I had some dark coins in wallet on my mac, that was fully up to date. I didn't use it for a few months and when I came back, the wallet wouldn't sync fully because it had changed to Dash. I tried to do a transaction using Dark coins, but it failed and coins were returned to my dark coin wallet, both transactions were unconfirmed because I guess my wallet was out of date. The balance was showing zero, because the transactions were unconfirmed, but the coins were waiting to be confirmed in a wallet that would not confirm. I updated to Dash Wallet, followed the tutorial online which told me how to, using terminal, rename the Dark Coin dat file to Dash, but the balance is still showing Zero. My Dark coin wallet no longer works because the Dat file has been over written with Dash. Question is where the heck are the coins and how can I get them in the Dash Wallet?

I know that on a PC, you need to start your wallet with -zapwallettxes like this:

dash-qt.exe -zapwallettxes

But I don't know how to do this on a Mac. If you do, try that and see if that helps.

I know that on a PC, you need to start your wallet with -zapwallettxes like this:

dash-qt.exe -zapwallettxes

But I don't know how to do this on a Mac. If you do, try that and see if that helps.

Thank you, i'll be honest not too sure how to do this either, could you possibly outline what this function is supposed to do, then I can do a search? Thank you!

Hey there,

First of all, have you got a backup of your "wallet.dat" (or have you dumped your private keys)?

The new DASH qt client update does not overwrite the "wallet.dat" file. Please, check again. It will use the same "wallet.dat" file of the previous DRK qt client: Before, this file (wallet.dat) was at the "~/Library/Application Support/darkcoin/" directory. Now, with DASH it must be at the "~/Library/Application Support/dash/" directory.

When you install the new DASH client it simply creates a "dash" folder, keeping the old "darkcoin" folder. Now you can copy the contents from the old "darkcoin" folder ("wallet.dat" for example) to the new "dash" folder, in order to have access to your coins.

Have a read here https://dashtalk.org/threads/missing-darkcoins-they-arent-in-my-dashcoin-wallet.4593/ and here https://dashtalk.org/threads/11-2-dash-release.4515 for more info

BTW, you can check your original DRK addresses (as well as the destiny DASH address) at a block explorer ( like this one: http://explorer.darkcoin.io/chain/Darkcoin ), so that you'll be able to locate the coins.

Also:
Migrate Wallet DRK - Dash Video Guides

MAC
PC
LINUX

tx buster +darkred

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thanks so much for the advice, but it didn't work?
I have tried two ways.
1 - I used Terminal to reveal the hidden folders, duplicated the entire folder of dark coin and then renamed it as Dash (I did already remove the original Dash folder).
I then re synced but still balance is zero with my status shows Disabled.
2 - Same process as 1 but this time I used the New Dash Folder and replaced the contents with the Dark Coin folder contents, I then renamed the folders inside to dash.

Re backing up, I exported the dark coin originally to a csv file, not sure if this is any use?

Also I checked out the website and indeed my dark coins are showing up on the block explorer and are also saying Not Yet Redeemed.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass but any ideas what I could do now?

Hi, thanks so much for the advice, but it didn't work?
I have tried two ways.
1 - I used Terminal to reveal the hidden folders, duplicated the entire folder of dark coin and then renamed it as Dash (I did already remove the original Dash folder).
2 - Same process as 1 but this time I used the New Dash Folder and replaced the contents with the Dark Coin folder contents, I then renamed the folders inside to dash.

Re backing up, I exported the dark coin originally to a csv file, not sure if this is any use?

Also I checked out the website and indeed my dark coins are showing up on the block explorer and are also saying Not Yet Redeemed.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass but any ideas what I could do now?

You're welcome to ask for help. That's why we're here ;)

It works the same way as with Bitcoin-qt or any other cryptocoins-qt originated from a Bitcoin fork: If, by checking on a block explorer, your coins are showing in your address, it means they have not been moved when you have tried to do a transaction using the Darkcoin qt wallet. That's great. Now you just need to use the original "wallet.dat" file containing the private key to that same address.

Now what you need to check is if the address with the coins is showing/available in your wallet-qt (if the "wallet.dat" file contains it's private key"). If not, than you will need to look for the original "wallet.dat" file, in a previous backup, or elsewhere in your computer (possibly in the old "darkcon" directory).

When you find this original "wallet.dat", do the following: CLOSE the Dash-QT wallet. AFTER it's closed, rename the wrong "wallet.dat" (the eventual new one inside the "dash" directory) to something like "wallet.dat.new" and then copy the original (correct) "wallet.dat" file (the one containing the PrivKey to the address you need) into the "dash" directory. Now, open the Dash-QT wallet again. If that is the correct (original) "wallet.dat" file, your coins will be showing in the balance.

I might have been very confusing here, sorry, but this is the kind of thing that is easier doing than explaining...

But remember: Always make backups!

No matter what cryptocurrency you make your transactions with, the rule is always the same: make backups. Always have an updated backup of your "wallet.dat" file, it's VERY important, because it contains the private keys to the addresses you control. Also, when you are careful enough (aware of change addresses) to keep a specific address, it's an important idea to do a "dumpprivkey [address]", so that, in case of any trouble with your backups, you can always "importprivkey [key]" to a new "wallet.dat" file.

I hope it works. If necessary, please come back for more help, because there are lots of other users much more experienced than me around here.

It works the same way as with Bitcoin-qt or any other cryptocoins-qt originated from a Bitcoin fork: If, by checking on a block explorer, your coins are showing in your address, it means they have not been moved when you have tried to do a transaction using the Darkcoin qt wallet. That's great. Now you just need to use the original "wallet.dat" file containing the private key to that same address.

Now what you need to check is if the address with the coins is showing/available in your wallet-qt (if the "wallet.dat" file contains it's private key"). If not, than you will need to look for the original "wallet.dat" file, in a previous backup, or elsewhere in your computer (possibly in the old "darkcon" directory).

When you find this original "wallet.dat", do the following: CLOSE the Dash-QT wallet. AFTER it's closed, rename the wrong "wallet.dat" (the eventual new one inside the "dash" directory) to something like "wallet.dat.new" and then copy the original (correct) "wallet.dat" file (the one containing the PrivKey to the address you need) into the "dash" directory. Now, open the Dash-QT wallet again. If that is the correct (original) "wallet.dat" file, your coins will be showing in the balance.

I might have been very confusing here, sorry, but this is the kind of thing that is easier doing than explaining...

No matter what cryptocurrency you make your transactions with, the rule is always the same: make backups. Always have an updated backup of your "wallet.dat" file, it's VERY important, because it contains the private keys to the addresses you control. Also, when you are careful enough (aware of change addresses) to keep a specific address, it's an important idea to do a "dumpprivkey [address]", so that, in case of any trouble with your backups, you can always "importprivkey [key]" to a new "wallet.dat" file.

I hope it works. If necessary, please come back for more help, because there are lots of other users much more experienced than me around here.

Hey thanks so much, i'll give that a try! Many thanks!!!!

Hi, okay so i've tried what you suggested, made sence thanks, but it didn't work. I think I can see the issue though and I think I have over written the original wallet.dat file.
I bought the original coins a few months ago but the wallet.dat file in the darkcoin folder tells me it was created a few days ago.
I had no idea on any of this before trying to upgrade and speaking with you so I do not have any backups on the original wallet.dat.
I will of course back up now.
Question is, is there any way to get my coins back?
Is it possible to create a new wallet but using the original address?
or can I redirect the coins to a new address?

Thank you for this!

Actually, YOU ARE A LEGEND! It worked, I found a copy of the wallet I accidentally copied onto my desk top, total fluke, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Great! I'm glad that it was solved, after all.

Cheers!

Back