• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Google to Remove Chrome Extensions that Mine Cryptocurrencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Mason

Google to Remove Chrome Extensions that Mine Cryptocurrencies

Google-to-Remove-Chrome-Extensions-that-Mine-Cryptocurrencies.jpg

Google stated on their Chromium blog that they will no longer allow any new extensions that mine cryptocurrency and will remove all those already on the platform by June.

Google previously has allowed “cryptocurrency mining in extensions as long as it is the extension’s single purpose, and the user is adequately informed about the mining behavior.” Google has decided to nix the privilege for everyone since they said that “90% of all extensions with mining scripts” that were uploaded to the Chrome Web Stored failed to follow these policies. Such as SafeBrowse that claimed to be a “protect browsing” extension, but actually maliciously mined Monero without informing its 140,000 users.

Google said that they will still allow extensions with blockchain related programs other than mining. Google’s actions follow that of itself banning cryptocurrency related ads, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Snapchat, and MailChimp.

Read more: https://www.dashforcenews.com/google-to-remove-chrome-extensions-that-mine-cryptocurrencies/

Good article, from my point of view, Google is already taking measures for cryptomonedas, began with the ban of ICOS ads such as Facebook, but all these measures do so to have better security and not affect their platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back