• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash long term Blockchain capacity?

Anonymouse

So, we have all heard about Bitcoins latest drama and the capacity limit.
I know that DASH will eventually face this same problem, maybe sooner then later at the current rate.
Not as bad of a bloating as Monero, but still, the anonymity coin-mixing is taking a lot of space.

I think long term DASH has to look at something like a lightning network type of solution maybe even as extreme as the Veltor Donar Network. The ultimate goal I think, is Lightning network coin-join style mixing.
Eth is already heading in that direction as well with its lightning network smart contracts.

What are your thoughts? When will the network hit similar problems like the ones BTC is facing?

Dash is already going to have something similar with the Evolution update.
Masternodes will provide an off-chain trustless payment system that is very fast.

So, we have all heard about Bitcoins latest drama and the capacity limit.
I know that DASH will eventually face this same problem, maybe sooner then later at the current rate.
Not as bad of a bloating as Monero, but still, the anonymity coin-mixing is taking a lot of space.

I think long term DASH has to look at something like a lightning network type of solution maybe even as extreme as the Veltor Donar Network. The ultimate goal I think, is Lightning network coin-join style mixing.
Eth is already heading in that direction as well with its lightning network smart contracts.

What are your thoughts? When will the network hit similar problems like the ones BTC is facing?

Probably never, the masternodes will need to run on fairly powerful servers for Evolution and a few terabytes of hardware space should be well within the running costs. Just had a quick look at server costs and masternodes could run on 16 cores with 64GB RAM and 400GB storage and still earn more than 100$ a month and that's just an off the shelf option, shop around and there's probably 4x the storage available at the same price with lower CPU and RAM.

Can someone address the scalability of the coin to a global level with a such a low limit of coins in circulation and a large chunk of them being tied up in master nodes? If only 20 million coins are ever mined in total, wouldn't that cause scalability issues with skyrocketing coin prices? Thanks in advance!

Can someone address the scalability of the coin to a global level with a such a low limit of coins in circulation and a large chunk of them being tied up in master nodes? If only 20 million coins are ever mined in total, wouldn't that cause scalability issues with skyrocketing coin prices? Thanks in advance!
There are trillions of Duffs in circulation (one Duff = smallest unit of Dash = 0.00000001 Dash), and if it ever comes to that, the protocol can be upgraded to subdivide them even further.

There are trillions of Duffs in circulation (one Duff = smallest unit of Dash = 0.00000001 Dash), and if it ever comes to that, the protocol can be upgraded to subdivide them even further.

Thank you for the explanation!

Back