• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash core wallet - I might have found a bug

Kevin Stalker

I have installed Dash Core on a macbook, and I didn't put the dash folder in the default place. Instead it is on a removable disk. It is working fine ATM, but I find that the options Tools, Open wallet config file and Open masternode config file both do nothing.

I think there might be a bug in it whereby it doesn't look in the right folder if it isn't the default one.

Am I right? Is there a bug bounty? Woohoo - I love finding bugs.

Use -datadir=c:\yourdashfolder.
I dont know how this is done in the mac, but in the windows it is used with in shortcut.

When you install the wallet the first question you are asked is where do you want to put your data, so I put it somewhere different. After that you can't amend it, as far as I can see. It could have been done with a shortcut, I suppose, but I didn't do it that way. If you press Tools, Information it tells you stuff, and in there is the Datadir

Oh right - understand - how to pass parameters on startup. I will do some research on that, but probably not needed, cos datadir is already set.

Maybe custom folder (-datadir=xxx) should be added by install program to startup shortcut?
@flare

Try navigating to dash.conf file and opening it via double-click. What happens at this point? It's probably going to tell you that macos has no idea how to open it and will ask you to select an app you'd like to use to open .conf files. Select any text editor you have - TextEdit is installed by default afaik and should be able to handle .conf just fine (you can reassign the app later via right-click->"Open With"->"Other...", I'd recommend TextMate or Sublime Text).

I have installed Dash Core on a macbook, and I didn't put the dash folder in the default place. Instead it is on a removable disk. It is working fine ATM, but I find that the options Tools, Open wallet config file and Open masternode config file both do nothing.

I think there might be a bug in it whereby it doesn't look in the right folder if it isn't the default one.

Am I right? Is there a bug bounty? Woohoo - I love finding bugs.

When opening the configuration files from within the wallet it uses the exact same function to get the folder name as it does for everything(!) else, so if that function would fail your wallet wouldn't start at all.
The problem is most probably, as Udjin pointed out above, that OSX doesn't have a default application customized to open files with the ".conf" extension.
Just follow his instructions and everything should work.

Last edited:
Thanks - I got this sorted out. I found a way of passing parameters to the app using "open --arg" to set the backup directory by creating an applescript. I'm not sure if this was the easiest way, but it is working. Thanks for all your help. I think, also, there are no bugs in the wallet, just user error.

Back