• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

DASH and the "R" word - Regulation

I don't want people to take this as FUD for DASH. I'm merely curious about whether DASH is at risk of being treated differently, or negatively due to its anonymity feature. For example, say regulations swoop in and pressure top exchanges to remove anonymous coins from their site. I know it's unjust, but the regulators could argue that the anonomyzing feature makes it impossible to mitigate risks of money-launderers or other criminals from using the coin. Obviously governments are going to want to regulate against money-laundering and other criminal activities. Yes, I do agree that law-abiding citizens shouldn't get lumped in with criminals for using an anonymous coin, but I don't know if regulators necessarily will care. It's impossible to regulate the actual coin itself since its decentralized (the beauty of crypto), but they can easily go after businesses that accept cryptos and have them stop accepting anonymous coins. As sad as it is, regulators and law enforcement will be more okay with bitcoin due to how easy it is to unwind the string of transactions that one person has done in the past, but I'm unsure about how they will feel about DASH. What's your take on this?

There are a number of anonymizing coins, even bitcoin has a dark wallet, if you go after Dash, you would have to go after them all really, which would be almost impossible, as its only a tick box feature in some of the coins, where would you draw the line for banning?
Can't see this ever happening now the cat is out of the bag.

This was a good listen, thanks.

There are a number of anonymizing coins, even bitcoin has a dark wallet, if you go after Dash, you would have to go after them all really, which would be almost impossible, as its only a tick box feature in some of the coins, where would you draw the line for banning?
Can't see this ever happening now the cat is out of the bag.

I hope you're right.

Is cash at risk of, etc...

Money Laundering is an interesting idea. It presumes the laws that defined Transaction X are valid in the first place... It adds a second level of scrutiny where it's questionable but presumed that the first level was acceptable.

I find the psychology behind one of the topics interesting. Tech specific seems wrong, since fraud can be done with anything of value... It's a collective vs individual concept. So apply it to other things. Gay marriage enforced by government? Or, government shouldn't be in involved in marriage? Interesting how you can see the truth of it in one light, but then fail in another... Freedoms, Rights, don't come from more laws, but by removing government from a thing altogether.

Look at how that works out and ask your question again...

Last edited by a moderator:
Then should TOR be banned to for facilitating anonymous hacking and other malicious activities?
Should the internet be banned because it facilitates the download of copyrighted material?

My opinion is, that they shouldn't.
Why? Because TOR and the internet as they are, are not illegal. Using them for malicious purposes however might be.

So, in summary DASH should not be banned just because it has potential to be used by questionable characters, or used for questionable activities.

I'm of the opinion that none of this technology should be banned. Crypto is disruptive and governments cannot inflate the hell out of it, though, so it wouldn't surprise me if they try to mess with crypto. Anyways, those are some thought provoking responses, so thanks in that regard.

Another relative talk:
Wired Money 2015 - Andreas M Antonopoulos - Bitcoin is the real disruptor

I'm of the opinion that none of this technology should be banned. Crypto is disruptive and governments cannot inflate the hell out of it, though, so it wouldn't surprise me if they try to mess with crypto. Anyways, those are some thought provoking responses, so thanks in that regard.
Did you know that there is a market for 'pure' freshly mined bitcoins from come staright from the new blocks created.
https://www.blocktrail.com/mint/#/

Back