• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

darkcoind vs darkcoin-qt

TanteStefana

Foundation Member
I was wondering if the gui version, darkcin-qt is less secure to run than the terminal interface only darkcoind is?

There should be no difference regarding security between darkcoin-qt and darkcoind. The QT Version is just a GUI for the daemon. The underlying code for all coin transactions is the same.

When I run darkcoin-qt, I do not see a darkcoind process running (Ubuntu). So it doesn't seem like it's just a GUI for the daemon.

In fact I've been wondering if I could run both, pointed at different wallets. darkcoin-qt is working with ~/.darkcoin/wallet.dat. Can I run darkcoind -datadir=~/.darkcoin2 and let it use a separate wallet? If so, can the two share database/blocks/chainstate by symbolic link without screwing each other up?

they both store information in .darkcoin folder (or appdata/roaming/darkcoin...) The only difference is darkcoin-qt is the wallet with a gui, the other is terminal only, but they're both full wallets.

You can either run bitcoin-qt or bitcoind, not both at the same time (the Qt part is not just a frontend on top of the RPC code, it uses the core directly).

You can however run Bitcoin-Qt with the -server command-line switch, in which case it will also expose an RPC service (essentially functioning like bitcoind in addition to the GUI interface). The RPC console inside the GUI has the exact same functionality as the bitcoind RPC client.

PS: bitcoind is both an RPC server (when started without RPC command on the command-line) and an RPC client (when started with RPC command on the command-line), while Bitcoin-Qt only optionally runs an RPC server (when started with -server).
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/qu...en-bitcoind-and-bitcoin-qt-different-commands

Also, regarding the security aspect:

usually a server is run from the command line without the GUI because the GUI has additional code and therefore potentially additional vulnerabilities. Also, is there is no need to expend processing power on a GUI, why bother (for a server)?

So it is true that darkcoind and darkcoin-qt have the same level of security in and of themselves, but darkcoind is theoretically more secure because it would/could be run on a system with no GUI.

Back