• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

croutonrant #237 - the happy happy dream of decentralised mining!

However this "spreading" smells (and actually described by its developer) like "stealing" because a "cheating" miner still sends shares but keeps full reward for himself.

He can call it what he likes if it gets rid of centralised pools. :grin:

It seems to work, I'm test-mining it now solo (along with all the other beautiful, useful, decentralised solo miners) on my laptop.

I can smell your motherboard burning :eek::eek:

LOL.

Serious question (and repeated from BCT).

What can Joe/Jane Average Darkcoin user do if they want to help decentralise mining?

Is "setgenerate true -1" like pissing in the wind in the grand scheme of things? The hashrate might be tiny but maybe if enough clients or masternodes used it...

Is there a way that the QT client could have an optional CPU solo mine function. Does this help?

Basically, if you're not a regular miner, is there anything you can do to help decentralise?

EDIT: Maybe the solution to this is to mobilise the masses, not to change the ways of the few.

I can smell your motherboard burning :eek::eek:

It's actually not too bad:
gpu.png

He can call it what he likes if it gets rid of centralised pools. :grin:

It seems to work, I'm test-mining it now solo (along with all the other beautiful, useful, decentralised solo miners) on my laptop.

Isn't this solution killing p2p pools too? As far as I can tell - it is so it's basically moving from centralized pools to centralized farms...

Isn't this solution killing p2p pools too? As far as I can tell - it is so it's basically moving from centralized pools to centralized farms...
Yeah it doesn't prevent large solo farms. BTC last time I investigated has 3 people with about 10% each individually. Still better than 2 pools with over 50% and 5 pools with 90%, which is our current situation.

I think something like Spreadcoin's approach with a much easier to use mining GUI in-wallet would greatly help.
LOL.

Serious question (and repeated from BCT).

What can Joe/Jane Average Darkcoin user do if they want to help decentralise mining?

Is "setgenerate true -1" like pissing in the wind in the grand scheme of things? The hashrate might be tiny but maybe if enough clients or masternodes used it...

Is there a way that the QT client could have an optional CPU solo mine function. Does this help?

Basically, if you're not a regular miner, is there anything you can do to help decentralise?

EDIT: Maybe the solution to this is to mobilise the masses, not to change the ways of the few.

I think the first step is making people aware of the issue. If it's acknowledged, then more thought, by people much smarter than me, can be put into finding a viable solution.

Currently you're right, having users 'setgenerate true' is going to make no real difference, which is why I'm advocating a more fundamental approach - tackle the problem at the protocol level, because hoping that miners are all going to do the right thing to secure the blocjchain is clearly never going to work.

What Spreadcoin is doing seems to be the first real-world implemented approach, I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than what we have now, which is a horribly centralised and therefore vulnerable currency, which is not going to appeal to anyone but small time speculators who don't care about the risk.

What it's going to boil down to is, does Evan take the risk seriously or not? He has a lot on his plate, and I wish I was competent to offer real assistance, but all his innovation and hard work, and the contributions of everyone else who have made Darkcoin what it is so far, could be destroyed quite easily and cheaply. Making a case that something should be done about it is worth the ire of miners to me.

Yeah it doesn't prevent large solo farms. BTC last time I investigated has 3 people with about 10% each individually. Still better than 2 pools with over 50% and 5 pools with 90%, which is our current situation.

At one point me and flare were solo mining and accounted for nearly 5% of the DRK network hashrate. It was a short term experiment and not financially viable but even so, it got us thinking.

At one point me and flare were solo mining and accounted for nearly 5% of the DRK network hashrate. It was a short term experiment and not financially viable but even so, it got us thinking.
How even less financially viable might it have been it every Darkcoin wallet out there had a one-click Start Mining button right in the overview tab? Or if the wallet was set to mine by default, at some low % of CPU/GPU Iif available) power?

People want the benefits of decentralised security without any of the resposibilities, you can't have it both ways. I'd be all for a wallet that cost the user a few $'s worth of electricity a year to use the currency, but I can see it being a hard sell to the entitled masses.

What is going to be an impossible sell though is widespread adoption by people with serious money to move if the blockchain remains as vulnerable as it is now. If I had $millions to spare I wouldn't trust it in Darkcoin. Which makes it hard for me to seriously recommend that anyone else trust Darkcoin either.

great discussion going on here !
if you have a plan (or even want to test)
send out a guide for QT mining , I am happy to get on it to support !

Putting a nice graphical user interface on top of P2Pool is what I call low hanging fruit. Easy to do and will bring maximum benefits. Crouton, if you don't project manage this I will. My GPU developers refuse to talk to each other (they are a strange bunch) so I don't think my community wide GPU optimisation plan is going to get lift off.

I am more than willing to be a guinea pig. If I can follow your directions, it should be easy for anybody. I agree that the current situation is long-term untenable. I am working with a Lenovo T-60 laptop with 2gig of RAM and running Arch Linux

Back