• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

create address that can only receive privatesend payments

unidasher

A lot of users that care about true anonimity are using monero , let's face it .
Wouldn't it be very nice to be able to create a DASH address/wallet that can only receive privatesends ?
If a person would (accidently) send a regular payment to your address , it would be rejected .

(edit : can't change title from darksend to privatesend)

I've edited the thread title for you :)

It is true that probably the most privacy centric users are not so much into Dash at the moment, but I'm afraid that what you ask for is not possible to do without changing most of the system. As far as I know, privatesend transactions do not have a flag. You can recognize them because of the split inputs, but nothing prevents you from imitating a mixing session in your own wallet (instead of mixing with more people, coordinated by a masternode).

Besides that, not using private send only affects the privacy of whoever is sending the funds. If the address to which they are sent is a fresh one (not used before), the receiver should not care. He can (should) mix after receiving the funds, the fact that they were mixed before doesn't give him privacy. It is true that if someone is reckless in his dealings with you (doesn't privatesend) he can be identified and then lead to you if he has any information, but that is outside of what a coin can solve.

Finally, please consider that for any privacy feature to be effective the first thing needed is volume. It doesn't matter how good is the system, if only two people are using it, the other one will always know that it was you. I sure hope that we can improve our privacy related features in the future, but I have no doubt that the best we can do for those privacy is to get a ton of new users into the system.

People unfamiliar with reality will always prefer cryptographic over the steganographic approach. The only way to alter that is to force all humans to be educated. That will never work. People like being stupid. Mostly because they have no idea what steganographic obfuscation is, and they can't be asked to google it. They're familiar with the word Cryptographic. Never go outside of your base's capacity to understand... Saul Alinsky's 2nd and 3rd rules in 12 Rules for Radicals:

RULE 2: “Never go outside the expertise of your people.” It results in confusion, fear and retreat. Feeling secure adds to the backbone of anyone. (Organizations under attack wonder why radicals don’t address the “real” issues. This is why. They avoid things with which they have no knowledge.)

RULE 3: “Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy.” Look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety and uncertainty. (This happens all the time. Watch how many organizations under attack are blind-sided by seemingly irrelevant arguments that they are then forced to address.)

XMR is only popular because it can be understood. The leads on the XMR project have meticulously followed these two rules. They present a product that cryptotards can understand, and throw out arguments against opponents that don't even make sense; but the audience can't tell and they "feel safe" with the words they actually know something about. DASH fails to field the wild accusations that have nothing to do with the matter at hand, but, again, the audience doesn't know any better and DASH just looks dumb.

DASH is beyond a cryptotard's understanding. XMR is not. It doesn't matter which is inferior, because the audience only comprehends one of them. They default to their comfort zone.

These are the tactics at use in the hype/pump/misinformation/troll/etc environment of the cryptosphere. Same thing democrats do, which is why I'm familiar with the fight and am so frustrated to see that nobody ever learns....

As @fernando said, your original idea doesn't really do any good, because it's based upon a false premise and/or lack of understanding in how this works. Which is exactly what the XMR vultures prey upon.

not using private send only affects the privacy of whoever is sending the funds

No matter what coin you use, the recipient is only as private as the sender's ability to resist a $5 wrench attack. Governments have some pretty damned big $5 wrenches... And they use them all the time to make sure you live in fear of them. I'm the only person I've ever heard of who has the balls to say "bring it on." Even if you used BTC, your privacy would be safe with me. We'd be communicating via unassocaited emails reached via tor, using throw-away GPG keys, I wouldn't send it all in one TX, and from manually mixed inputs. Days apart. Then I'd destroy those privkeys and the wallet.dat, and it would have all been done in volatile memory on a laptop that was never connected to any familiar network. I will protect myself from exposure not only for the sake of self preservation, but because nobody can beat information out of me with a $5 wrench if they have no fucking clue who or where I am.

There's only so much a coin can do for your privacy. XMR pretends to do much more than it is actually able. It has sung the siren's song and the cryptotards have listened. It's fanboys have been sold a bill of goods that they're not smart enough to realize is bullshit.

Bullshit and lies that you can understand are far more persuasive than truths beyond your understanding.

Last edited:
Back