• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

CoinJoin vs MWEB discussion

GrandMasterDash

Masternode Owner/Operator
For those unfamiliar, the litecoin desktop app implements MimbleWimble Extension Blocks (MWEB). At the user level it functions like one big anonymity pool; you deposit money into the pool and then spend it later, automatically breaking the link between deposit and withdrawal. The whole process is very straight forward and makes dash's CoinJoin feel outdated and laborious.

In the original MimbleWimble whitepaper, transactions are an interactive process requiring both users to be online at the same time. This is because there are no publicly shared payment addresses, plus the transaction amounts remain private between the two parties. Tbh, I think this is more of a feature than a hindrance i.e. you get to control who sends you money and the transactions are, in theory, quantum resistant i.e. there is no known public key space to search. This interactive limitation has been somewhat overcome in both beam and litecoin.

There is a report floating around on the Internet that MimbleWimble was broken with a 96% success rate. This was subsequently debunked but the smell lingers on because people choose not to investigate further. There has been further analysis to link transactions with some success but AFAIK this is largely due to pool size i.e. as pool sizes grow, the ability to link transactions becomes exponentially harder.

I would love to see someone take the MWEB code and integrate it into dash.

For those unfamiliar, the litecoin desktop app implements MimbleWimble Extension Blocks (MWEB). At the user level it functions like one big anonymity pool; you deposit money into the pool and then spend it later, automatically breaking the link between deposit and withdrawal. The whole process is very straight forward and makes dash's CoinJoin feel outdated and laborious.

In the original MimbleWimble whitepaper, transactions are an interactive process requiring both users to be online at the same time. This is because there are no publicly shared payment addresses, plus the transaction amounts remain private between the two parties. Tbh, I think this is more of a feature than a hindrance i.e. you get to control who sends you money and the transactions are, in theory, quantum resistant i.e. there is no known public key space to search. This interactive limitation has been somewhat overcome in both beam and litecoin.

There is a report floating around on the Internet that MimbleWimble was broken with a 96% success rate. This was subsequently debunked but the smell lingers on because people choose not to investigate further. There has been further analysis to link transactions with some success but AFAIK this is largely due to pool size i.e. as pool sizes grow, the ability to link transactions becomes exponentially harder.

I would love to see someone take the MWEB code and integrate it into dash.
Coinjoin doesn't require near as much user participtaion requirements, you have to have entities (DEX, CEX, POS, etc.) recognize transactions for it to be usable.

Am not sure what you mean.

In case it's not obvious, I see no reason why both CoinJoin and MWEB can't co-exist as two distinct functions, just let the user decide which to use.

Fascinating insights on MimbleWimble and its integration with Litecoin! I wonder how integrating MWEB into Dash would impact its transaction privacy and efficiency.

Back