• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Article on Dash in progress - what attracts you to Dash?

Hello Dash community!

I'm working on an article for Dash. The technology is superb, but what attracts you to Dash among other cryptocurrencies? I get the sense that anonymity, security, stability, and community seem to be of high importance to Dash users, but do you have any arguments in favour or against Dash that you'd like me to flesh out in the article?

I look forward to hearing your opinions! Technology is nothing without the people that use it, so your individual perspective is important to me.

Thank you for your time,

Scott

Cross-posting:
(...)
What matters to me is the fact that DASH has got this amazing development team, non-stop working on the creation of such awesome technology. It's self-assuring to see how constant progresses are being made. But these progresses are only achieved because backed by the necessary help and incentive from our great nov-dev (but as important) community.
(...)

This is about how I feel regarding DASH, as an answer to your question. I hope it helps. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
2 things in my opinion

Cash - Digital Cash
in the real world i never use credit cards, cheques, ATM's,... (only if i HAVE to)
i travel with Cash in needed currencies only, i would never go to a ATM in foreign country or would rely on my CC.
for me Dash is the most similar to 'real' cash (Speed, Anonymity, Flexibility,....)

Trust
i am involved with DRK/Dash since a long time
and was very sceptic when i started (as i had NO idea about the crypto world).
to understand more, and build trust i get involved more and more.
And here i am , still posting, understand a little bit more and am trusting (as i know nearly everybody direct by now)
the Foundation, Dev Team + Ambassadors and Community !
(great bunch all around !)
:wink:

2 things in my opinion

Cash - Digital Cash
in the real world i never use credit cards, cheques, ATM's,... (only if i HAVE to)
i travel with Cash in needed currencies only, i would never go to a ATM in foreign country or would rely on my CC.
for me Dash is the most similar to 'real' cash (Speed, Anonymity, Flexibility,....)

Trust
i am involved with DRK/Dash since a long time
and was very sceptic when i started (as i had NO idea about the crypto world).
to understand more, and build trust i get involved more and more.
And here i am , still posting, understand a little bit more and am trusting (as i know nearly everybody direct by now)
the Foundation, Dev Team + Ambassadors and Community !
(great bunch all around !)

Do you consider DASH a good store of value / hedge against inflation, or are you solely interested in the cash aspect of it?

The technology is superb, but what attracts you to Dash among other cryptocurrencies? I get the sense that anonymity, security, stability, and community seem to be of high importance to Dash users, but do you have any arguments in favour or against Dash that you'd like me to flesh out in the article?

Dash attracts me mostly with:
1. Reliable real people-developers who puts their trust and reputation into this project (real names, real actions, real results, ).
2. Good imagination of developers - constantly offering innovations and creating unique concept and strategy - creating not particular "feature", but "platform" opened for further innovations.
3. Price rising potential. I like current Dash weaknesses in terms of adoption and all other aspects - they are guarantee of future price rising when weaknesses will be fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you consider DASH a good store of value / hedge against inflation, or are you solely interested in the cash aspect of it?

sure inflation is an important point (hence Dash + Code)

one of our biggest and newest (as not out yet, v12) points will be
Funding by Blockchain !
I think this is just the best idea all around ! We will be the first real crypto doing this by a decentralised system funding + voting system !
Look at everybody else, going for big fat funding from whoever company or university. (lame)
centralisation like that will bring you regulations, like it or not.
Funded by Blockchain is really in the "Satochi spirit" of using the blockchain, staying decentralised,
being independent, running an Open Source Code which can "fund itself" !
(Satochi must be rolling in his grave if he sees BTC going for MIT funding)

Cryptos in general,
Relying on code and not some "officials" (inflation,....)
trusting the code hence politicians
power to the people
and sticking it to bankers and governments
is the main aspect why i am into cryptos in general
and Dash especially due to the anonymity aspect !

PS:
these are my personal opinions

Excellent replies so far, Alex-ru, that's an appealing insight that DASH's weakness in adoption is actually a strength for those investing now. Tungfa, I'm afraid that regulation is coming whether we like it to or not and if DASH can't be regulated, the merchants dealing in DASH will be regulated. Anonymity is a powerful commodity, I agree, but crypto is moving into the limelight and regulators will come. The anonymity feature works for p2p, but whenever a useful service comes along (a merchant) the regulators will set up information collection standards (and I suspect they will do this under the guise that money-launderers and terrorists could be using cryptocurrencies). What do you think is the best approach for dealing with regulators? Do you think it can be avoided? Do you think merchants will have to succumb to regulations while consumers are free to remain p2p to avoid regulations?

You don't have to answer, but you've given me good info so I thought I'd get your take on the regulation debate.

i agree that regulation will (probably) come one way or the other
but
it is still a difference if you program/code with a free mind (open,creative,innovative,...) and none regulated (Blockchain funding),
than having your 'investors/sponsors" sitting in your neck telling you what to do or not or what they are hoping and expecting !

it will be easier to deal with regulations which come from the customer/financial industry/government side, as then you can adjust your "product" to fit
into these regulations.
or not ..... :wink:

I think real regulations will take some time, it depends where in the world you are sitting, in my neighbourhood there is nothing to worry about.
in other places you can always flip on your VPN or TOR and do whatever you have to do. Regulations can and might be a good PR push for this too (Crypto in general),
as where there are regulations there are loopholes, and people make a lot of money with loopholes.
Look at the banking system now ! :cool:

For any official statement regarding regulations you should talk to fernando or one of the Foundation guys,

My husband and I stumbled upon an announcement for a new privacy centric currency in mid January after only looking into Bitcoin for the first time in late December one night (due to reading about it in an article) So we were there when Xcoin/Darkcoin/DASH was launched, trying desperately to figure out how to mine and what it all was about. And I especially have found the whole project to be super exciting. I guess we've always been interested in politics and that this new community was taking on the world by side swiping the powers that be was so outlandishly delicious, I couldn't get enough of it! And from the beginning, on the Bitcointalk thread, I learned so many ideas and points of view, I learned about the financial markets (which I've always found boring before) and the corruption, etc... Things I've long buried deep in my sub-conscious due to my inability to do anything about it, now were given new light and a possible way to fight against it!

So I'm here because DASH is the most exciting project with a damn wise beyond his years developer of 32 or 33 years of age and who is also brilliant and a great team of developers who have come to his aid. DASH has been stimulating, all encompassing (except when I need to care for family) and a great learning experience.

So what attracts me to DASH is the excitement and the feeling of empowerment. I sincerely feel that we are on the brink of taking the world back from our oppressive overlords! And I'm hopeful that this time it will be done relatively peacefully!

Of course that's in my heart, but I don't talk that way with outsiders, LOL, they'd rightly think I've gone mad ;P

hi, pleased you are writing an article, I have made a list of some of the unique points that may help,

1) The masternode network supports around 2700 full nodes that keep the network seeded with strong peers and coupled with a small blockchain size(<1 gigabyte size) result in a fast sync time of around 0.24 seconds per hour behind in wallet. I call this the Tao ratio and have been tracking it and comparing to bitcoin as both develop, with each new release the tao sync ratio has reduced indicating efficient streamlined programming (last darkcoin release v0.11.1.25 = 1.35 seconds per hour behind)
https://dashtalk.org/threads/dash-versus-bitcoin-versus-darkcoin-wallet-update-benchmark-times.4479/

The recent bitcoin mining fork caused by a pool only mining the headers using the SPV (multibit) wallet is an example of the importance of full clients running on the network, when the client is lite to begin with, there is no need to have a multibit wallet for most purposes, hence the network should not fork.

2) the masternode network has a proof of service test scoring system in order to stay on the network as a paid node. This ensures that all the active nodes are fast, stable and stay online 24/7 thus ensuring a reliable speedy network.

3) The masternode's true potential has not been realized yet as an example, I believe the whatsapp network had roughly 1000 computers with a capacity of 1 million messages per second.
Encrypted wallet to wallet messaging is one of a number ideas that have been suggested, hence there is one of the fastest messaging systems on the planet just waiting to happen.

4) In version 12 of the wallet release, development projects are going to be proposeable (by anybody) and the masternode holder will have 1 vote each that will decide whether a project is going to be funded from the mining output. Meaning that once the vote consensus reaches 51%(of the 2700 nodes), the programmer will get paid once per month from a percentage of the mining output - in a completely decentralized way that has no central point of control.

5) InstantX - using the instantX wallet feature, transactions are locked by the masternodes within around 4 seconds, guaranteeing the recipient will be paid, when an exchange chooses to use this feature, deposits should be reduced to a few seconds.
It is noted that a number of sites do not wait 1 confirmation of bitcoin, thus they are opening themselves up to a double spend hack, this can not happen if they used the instantX feature as the transaction is locked for payment (it also excludes the payment being sent on again by the recipient, until the normal proof of work has taken place)

6) Darksend - ability to send transactions anonymously but still be visible in the blockchain. Again the masternodes come into their own, facilitating a coin mixing service that basically mixes up all your own change addresses by sending the coins around the network in a random way (2 rounds is lowest security, and 8 rounds is maximum security, although 16 round has been tested).
(It is well known that companies like coinbase have been closing accounts because they do not 'like' the transaction history)

7) the protocol is the same as bitcoin, so feature developments will be compatible.

TanteStefana, thank you for sharing! You are clearly passionate about DASH and I think you are spot on with your feelings of empowerment because crypto gives the power back to the people, meaning the everyday person, who eschews politics due to inability to create change, can now make a difference. Vote with your money, or in other words, stop using banks and credit cards for things that crypto solves. I'm getting the vibe from the community and white paper, that DASH is a real player in crypto that solves problems bitcoin didn't. There is incredible potential with DASH and from minimal research, I've gotten the bug.

Sub-Ether, that is a very helpful post, it's a great springboard for deeper research. An upcoming problem for bitcoin is that with growing adoption, the blocks are too small to handle all of the transactions in a timely manner. How does DASH do in terms of scalability? Is DASH prepared for widespread adoption? Can DASH handle a massive transaction load?

My questions aren't necessarily directed to you, if anyone can help shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, this is a great community! I've had nothing but helpful members responding to all my questions/concerns. I have to say - I'm thoroughly impressed!

The best I can give you on the scalability is that when the issue was being discussed a few months ago, Evan announced that he could see how to use the masternodes so that the size of the blocks could be unlimited. He has often made such comments, and pretty much always come through by implementing them. However, this time, I suspect that whatever solution this is, it'll be a while before it's implemented because there is so much to do and we're not even close to Bitcoin's transaction rate. With the "spork" that we use, we have been very successful at many forced upgrades. Sometimes the network has forked, but with the spork, it's caught immediately and stopped immediately, the problem found and corrected. We'd rather avoid that by testing all possiblities on Testnet, but unfortunately, you can't recreate everything on mainnet on testnet. But the risks are very minimal with the ability to contain a problem immediately, which makes DASH very flexible and nimble.

So I'm going to put my neck out there and say that scalability is not an issue with DASH.

I gotta go to bed now, good nite!

Thanks for the great replies!

I'm not very tech savvy and I'm struggling to grasp how the masternode network works. Can someone try to explain how the masternodes work in terms a 6 year old could understand?

Back