• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Appears Darkcoin needs to run as admin.

m3110w

Hi All,

I'm a crypto currency newbie and I plan to purchase some Darkcoin soon. I installed the Darkcoin wallet on my Win 7 Pro laptop. It looks like it needs to run as Admin in order to work properly. You may want to make this requirement more prominent on the Download and Info pages. I run as Standard User so I had to do some trial and error to figure out why my Darkcoin wallet was not working properly under Standard User.

Please move this post if it belongs in another forum. Thanks,

Advait

You dont need to run it as admin as long as you dont want to install it. Did you download the installer?

I did install it. Just to be clear installing and running it as Admin is totally not a problem for me. I can do that easily. I'm suggesting that it be made more clear that Admin is required for running it. The darkcoin wallet so far appears to be excellent software and I look forward to playing around with Darkcoins soon. Thanks,

Advait

I got it from darkcoin.io (v0.11.1.25-gbdbdbf9-beta (32-bit)). I did not verify the sigs and checksums. On my Win7 Pro pc I always use a Standard User account to do my work. When I open my darkcoin wallet as Standard User it wants to download the whole blockchain (1 year and 2 weeks behind). When I open the darkcoin wallet as Admin it only wants to download recent blocks (13hrs behind). So something about running the darkcoin wallet as Standard User causes it to not see that I've already downloaded the whole blockchain.

Any ideas? I don't mind running the darkcoin wallet as Admin, that's no problem. But it does appear to be necessary. It could have something to do with darkcoin existing under a Standard account rather than Admin.

Thanks,

Advait

I got it from darkcoin.io (v0.11.1.25-gbdbdbf9-beta (32-bit)). I did not verify the sigs and checksums. On my Win7 Pro pc I always use a Standard User account to do my work. When I open my darkcoin wallet as Standard User it wants to download the whole blockchain (1 year and 2 weeks behind). When I open the darkcoin wallet as Admin it only wants to download recent blocks (13hrs behind). So something about running the darkcoin wallet as Standard User causes it to not see that I've already downloaded the whole blockchain.

Any ideas? I don't mind running the darkcoin wallet as Admin, that's no problem. But it does appear to be necessary. It could have something to do with darkcoin existing under a Standard account rather than Admin.

Thanks,

Advait
Can you clarify "open the darkcoin wallet as Admin" pls - do you right-click and select "Run as admin" from menu OR do you actually login in some Admin account?

m3110w When you first ran your wallet as admin you installed darkcoin just for the admin account. When you now try to run as user it does not see the admin installation and starts a new installation for the user account. Well, not really, but this is the easiest way to explain it.

Also, as you said you are a crypto newbie I recommend that you play with the wallet for a while to figure out how everything works before sending coin to it. Nothing worse then losing your wallet and with it all your coins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello UdjinM6 and Errold,

I always start my Win7 laptop and login into my Standard User account (I never login into my Admin account, well, maybe twice a year for some specific purpose). Here's the timeline. I download the wallet exe file from Darkcoin.io. I right click on the exe file and then click "Run as Admin". Then I enter my Admin password and the Darkcoin wallet gets installed (remember I'm logged into my Standard User account during the install). Then I successfully download the whole blockchain. Then the next day I start my laptop and login into my Win7 Standard User account as usual. Then I double click on the Darkcoin icon and I notice it wants to download the whole blockchain again. Problem! Bad! My intuition tells my to try Admin. So I right click on the Darkcoin icon and then click "Run as Admin". Then the wallet loads and begins downloading the previous 24 hours of the blockchain. Cool! Its now working properly. So I think to myself, "From now on I must always run Darkcoin wallet as Admin. Well, not a problem. Maybe the Darkcoin developers need it that way for some reason. Not a problem."

So the Darkcoin wallet works fine for me in Standard User as long as I click "Run as Admin" when starting it.

It may be that Darkcoin wallet developers assume that the exe will always be installed within an Admin account. For obvious security reasons I *only* use the Standard User account. Much, much safer.

Your comments? Thanks for helping a crypto currency newbie,

Advait

So the Darkcoin wallet works fine for me in Standard User as long as I click "Run as Admin" when starting it.

First, the Darkcoin wallet doesn't need administrator rights to run. Believe me, I run dozens of them.

Now, your case: you did install the wallet as administrator, and I guess it created the blockchain files in the home folder of the administrator account, where a 'normal' user does NOT has access to.

Install the wallet again to a different location as 'normal' user, re-sync the blockchain (using UdjinM6 's bootstrap file here https://github.com/UdjinM6/darkcoin-bootstrap speeds up things) and you'll never have to run it as administrator again.

I right click on the exe file and then click "Run as Admin".

There is no need to run the wallet exe as an Administrator, I run my windows ones as standard user and they all work perfectly. I'm guessing that you did "run as admin" as that is what you are used to when running a piece of software for the first time. If you don't want to "run as admin" every time just let the blockchain sync when running the wallet as the regular user and you will never have to "run as admin" again.

Hello Errold and crowning,

OK, thanks for the info. I'll see about making the changes so Run as Admin is not required. I don't remember perfectly but I think I tried to install the darkcoin exe first as a Standard User and it didn't work - the install hanged. That's why I installed as Admin and it worked.

Almost all of the time I install new software as Standard user unless the instructions say to run as Admin, or the Standard install doesn't work.

Thanks. I should get some btc in a few days and then I plan to get some darkcoin.

Hello Errold and crowning,

OK, thanks for the info. I'll see about making the changes so Run as Admin is not required. I don't remember perfectly but I think I tried to install the darkcoin exe first as a Standard User and it didn't work - the install hanged. That's why I installed as Admin and it worked.

Almost all of the time I install new software as Standard user unless the instructions say to run as Admin, or the Standard install doesn't work.

Thanks. I should get some btc in a few days and then I plan to get some darkcoin.
We have testnet, I would suggest you try to run your Darkcoin wallet on Testnet first and use the fake DRK to play with before you use your real DRK.

To run your wallet on Testnet:
  • Open Notepad, type one line "testnet=1" (without the quotes). Save as "darkcoin.conf". Put darkcoin.conf in the Darkcoin folder.
  • Run the wallet, it will open with an orange color interface. Let it sync or you can use the bootstrap to make it sync faster. Testnet block chain is smaller than Mainnet so it shouldn't take long for you.
  • Go to http://test.faucet.masternode.io/ and get some free tDRK.
I'm a windows user too but if it's my own computer I run everything as Admin. I do have another User but I don't see the point. It seems to me this is more like a problem of knowing how to work around Windows. But we don't want you to lose your precious DRK so be careful. :)

I'm a windows user too but if it's my own computer I run everything as Admin. I do have another User but I don't see the point.

moli , I know this is off topic but the above is a big no no, MS warns against running as administrator for every day use because it makes your pc much more vulnerable. Please use your user account for day to day use and use run as admin when needed.

I wouldn't want to see you or anyone else for that matter lose their coins or worse just because they were running the admin account for day to day use.

moli , I know this is off topic but the above is a big no no, MS warns against running as administrator for every day use because it makes your pc much more vulnerable. Please use your user account for day to day use and use run as admin when needed.

I wouldn't want to see you or anyone else for that matter lose their coins or worse just because they were running the admin account for day to day use.
LOL... MS has said a lot of things. Windows is designed to have multiple users to share a same computer and one admin to have the control. I see no reason to annoy myself with a limited account if that one computer is mine, and i've used windows for many years.

Now with Darkcoin it's a different issue. You can lose DRK on any OS, not just windows. You just need to know how to use your computer safely.

LOL... MS has said a lot of things. Windows is designed to have multiple users to share a same computer and one admin to have the control. I see no reason to annoy myself with a limited account if that one computer is mine, and i've used windows for many years.

Now with Darkcoin it's a different issue. You can lose DRK on any OS, not just windows. You just need to know how to use your computer safely.

Wow... Wasn't expecting to get laughed at for trying to be helpful but whatever. If you think that you're smarter then the people who actually wrote the software that's your prerogative.

Wow... Wasn't expecting to get laughed at for trying to be helpful but whatever. If you think that you're smarter then the people who actually wrote the software that's your prerogative.
LOL... I wasn't laughing at you. How did you get this impression i've no clue. And NO, i wasn't saying I was smarter than anyone. It's my experience with windows and my own preference, no one has to listen to me.

Back