• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

AMD R9 290x or GTX 970...

I did not want to open a new thread so im posting my problem here as it seems relevant
I have 2 r9 290x devices .
I have windows 7 64 bit.
I have sgminer 5 with the following conf file

{
"pools" : [
{
"url" : " stratum+tcp://drk.ghash.io:3333",
"user" : "myusername"
"pass" : "x"
}

However when i start the executable , I get the following error. Can anyone help please.

[
[23:48:05] All devices disabled, cannot mine!

I think i see the problem.... ghash.io? change that to mining.darkcointalk.org :tongue:

It even seems to run cooler, this statement is not based on fact, but I remember I was heating the whole house up with 2 rigs, now not bad. However, wattage draw seems about the same..??
Tip: if you're got the right software (I use asus AI suite for my i7) drop your cpu core voltages down to about 0.8 volts. I have got my cpu down to as little as 2 watts in total during mining and it does not effect the hashing speeds at all.

wow, that is great!! I will definitely try that voltage drop, efficiency is everything, even the fans you use can suck up quite a few watts I have a lot of ideas in my head, that may sound crazy, but I was thinking of actually capturing all of the heat under a hood (like a chemistry good) and blowing it all outside, or converting the heat into the ground where it averages 57 degrees I think at 8 foot, and putting it back into your water tank, sounds crazy, but this is too dang much fun!!! One thing that irritated me last night is that I used an AMD utility that uninstalled all the drivers to the cards, unfortunately, it also uninstalls all USB mouse and keyboard operation, always something....I do have a ps2 keyboard, and I had a converter for the mouse, but could not get the mouse going, so another day I worked until 3 in the morning sigh....but progress is being made.....

Tip: if you're got the right software (I use asus AI suite for my i7) drop your cpu core voltages down to about 0.8 volts. I have got my cpu down to as little as 2 watts in total during mining and it does not effect the hashing speeds at all.
Actually I have two rigs, one is an asus X79 Sabertooth i7 (which works like a charm by the way), which I could indeed drop that CPU voltage down. On the other rig, (which gets the same hashrates, but is a royal pain the bucket) is the ASrock BTC dual core! (51 dollar board). I have become an expert in patience in that particular board, as once you get it going, it runs great, but there are certain steps you have to do each time to add or modify anything to that board.....

Actually I have two rigs, one is an asus X79 Sabertooth (which works like a charm by the way), which I could indeed drop that CPU voltage down. On the other rig, (which gets the same hashrates, but is a royal pain the bucket) is the ASrock BTC (51 dollar board). I have become an expert in patience in that particular board, as once you get it going, it runs great, but there are certain steps you have to do each time to add or modify anything to that board.....
haha ,same mobo as me, when I put a $70 SSD in it, it worked wonders for stuff like wallet updates. I have noticed after 1 year of on/off mining thats its started occasionally kicking out of sgminer every day or so. Have seen this before with older mobos I got, and it was the capacitors not providing the DC rails correctly in that instance. Am thinking its on the way out, but was only $110 so not too bothered anyway ..

HAHA! Unfortunately, I had this grand Idea that I would use 4 of these boards to power 4 new rigs, and now, I don't think I have the stomach for it any longer...!! Also, I noticed that same motherboard has different revs, as I have seen the main 12x connector locks different, and so forth, so the quality probably really sucks, and the problem with switching from VGA to the GPU card to start, drives you insane.....!!!!

HAHA! Unfortunately, I had this grand Idea that I would use 4 of these boards to power 4 new rigs, and now, I don't think I have the stomach for it any longer...!! Also, I noticed that same motherboard has different revs, as I have seen the main 12x connector locks different, and so forth, so the quality probably really sucks, and the problem with switching from VGA to the GPU card to start, drives you insane.....!!!!
Beware of bios versions for not reading the smaller PCI-e ~ 1.
You know about cheap 4 way KVM switches don't you, 1 would cover 4 machines.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Port-Keyboard-Video-Mouse-Switchbox/dp/B004NNWX6Y

no, I had no idea, thanks a lot for this info, great idea!!! I'm getting it right now, these aggravations are wearing me down..!! I have got to check the bios on this Asrock, that's the thing, I kind of like the bios on the asrock compared to like a dell or something, but I think that with each board you buy with these guys, you never know what you are getting, as I've smoked one for no reason at all, just died when it was running for hours, I happened to look up and "poof", smell was in the ram area, but I reused the ram and narrowed it down to simply the board, cpu, ram fine, so the first asrock is one of the few things in my scrap yard actually...!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll post a pic of one of my rigs when I get time, I used a customized sort of 80/20 design from this guy, and I have to say it was difficult to put together because I was modifying so many things, and trying to understand the software/hardware, Ubuntu/windows/which sgminer to use then out came the wolf0s bins,, bridge ps, etc good grief...I'll never be happy with it...

Back