• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Doesn't Need to Reinvent the Wheel with Advertising - Online Search Beats it All

dashdisciple

Dash MNOs and proposal owners spend a lot of time coming up with wildly creative and wonderful sounding marketing ideas. Airplanes, buses, circuses, clubs, oh my! How fun and exciting! True - those are fun, exciting ideas that may have some value as morale boosters. They may provide some shred of untracked value that is hard to repeat, harder to track, hard to scale.

However, if you are an online organization and want to rake in the highest ROIs, do it fast, easily, and be able to scale up and down quickly, digital search is the best way to go. It's not even a close contest. Bing and Google search ads are exceedingly targeted, can be set up within a day, taken down just as fast, and can send precise messages to precise groups. You can pick which websites to advertise on, what countries, what terms, everything. The more you dig in, the higher the returns. It's math. Amazon, Etsy, Apple and whatever other online company you can think of spends almost all of its ad money on search because it makes the most return, every time. The bigger their companies get, the more they spend. It's a virtuous cycle.

I am suggesting that Dash aim to spend 95% of its marketing budget (which is currently roughly 75% of its total budget) on digital search ads. Seem extreme to suggest a $1.5M/mo spend on Adwords search? It's not. It's just the fastest, cleanest, and most effective way to get the best marketing - which seems to be what most proposals are about.

Are you making a proposal Dashdisciple?

No, not right now. I'm first trying to educate, and then I'm going to find a trusted party within Dash (someone at Core, perhaps someone at DashForceNews @mastermined or @Mark Mason or @coingun , and then I'm going to try to convince them to do it. If I can't convince them quickly, I hope that someone else out there reading this, can.

How would this work?

They'd take a budget, maybe $100k at first, and put it into a Google Adwords account. If they wanted my help, myself or one of my dedicated experts would assist free-of-charge in a shared administrator role on the account. We'd have zero ability to touch the funds. We'd just be there to apply our knowledge and tools for Dash's benefit. We'd fiddle with numbers, bids, and tracking links like nerds while Dash gets its message out in the most efficient way the community has ever seen.

If this idea appeals to anyone, please help me out. If you want to ask more detailed questions about what I'm proposing or why, ask. If you are one of these trusted people, and you think I can help push this project forward, please contact me. I work at the pleasure of Dash, without compensation, I have valuable tools and experience, and I've spent millions of dollars on search for my own businesses and other people's businesses. I know it works, I know the system inside and out, and I know how to beat everyone else dipping their toes in.

Why don't you just post a proposal?

I don't want to earn anything, and there are people with more trust in a better position to run and manage a campaign for lots of money. I can still help without being the proposal owner.

amazon-budget.png

I might be wrong but I think now it’s not the time for mass marketing. We should do it after evolution.

I might be wrong but I think now it’s not the time for mass marketing. We should do it after evolution.
That might work if we know when will evolution will be ready... but to be honest nobody know when that day will come and the market for many criptos is NOW.

Dash is already marketing. If it's going to market, it should market correctly.

Fair point. Agreed targeted ads give the best ROI too. If we are already spending this money might as well put it where we get the most return.

I am one of the data "nerds" that @dashdisciple mentions, who is willing to contribute to this (without compensation from Dash). Happy to answer any numbers oriented questions if they arise.

It's true, I keep hearing the "We shouldn't do marketing until Evolution" from people but then the MNOs keep passing marketing proposals. Is there a reason we are investing in marketing before Evolution, but only the less efficient marketing?

To be honest I was waiting for the Core Team announcement of the highly anticipated top tier marketing firm that was hired, but I thought that announcement was supposed to have happened weeks ago. As a MNO I can see a deficiency but it's hard to tell whether to charge forward or wait.

I would absolutely be in favor of such a campaign if some reputable party were to organize it and actually have good, professional content.

It's true, I keep hearing the "We shouldn't do marketing until Evolution" from people but then the MNOs keep passing marketing proposals. Is there a reason we are investing in marketing before Evolution, but only the less efficient marketing?

To be honest I was waiting for the Core Team announcement of the highly anticipated top tier marketing firm that was hired, but I thought that announcement was supposed to have happened weeks ago. As a MNO I can see a deficiency but it's hard to tell whether to charge forward or wait.

I would absolutely be in favor of such a campaign if some reputable party were to organize it and actually have good, professional content.

My nomination so far is @Mark Mason or @mastermined at DashForceNews. Those guys are dedicated, and well positioned to act as "escrow" on the adwords account. I imagine they have their hands full with the genuinely great stuff they're doing, but if they didn't mind setting up a pool of fiat, plugging it into an Adwords account, then allowing a boring geezer like me to train one of their guys, we'd all be golden.

The other excellent part about digital search/display is that the labor expenses to run it do not scale with the spend. Spending $100k/mo or $1M/mo could reasonably be run by one or two people earning $5k/mo apiece with the part-time guidance from a pro-bono consultant like me.

I don't even use google search, bing or fb. Can't ever remember clicking on an ad.

Unlike other forms of advertising like TV, Print, and Radio - Google and Bing's pay per click format means that the advertiser only pays for the visitor that the advertising does attract. No clicky, no chargey. (Although showcasing an ad with a higher click-through-rate does lead to lower overall costs.)

In your case, if you don't ever click on ads, you would not add any additional cost to the Dash search campaign.

I don't even use google search, bing or fb. Can't ever remember clicking on an ad.

The best companies in the business would not be spending enormous sums of money on this if the hard data did not back up that it actually works and has positive ROI, even though everybody always says/thinks that they never click on ads and are not influenced by ads.

The best companies in the business would not be spending enormous sums of money on this if the hard data did not back up that it actually works and has positive ROI, even though everybody always says/thinks that they never click on ads and are not influenced by ads.

There are many small businesses that dabble in Adwords/search, and they may in fact lose money due to poor settings/bids/placements. The large companies that spend 90% of their marketing budgets on digital search are indeed producing great ROIs. For actual data on this, you can find forms (10-K, 10-Q, 8-K) that public companies must submit to the SEC on a regular basis.

For our purposes, we will likely be shooting for a 1-2% CTR on our ads. From there, we would hope that 1-5% of those visitors will perform a desired action on top of merely informing themselves on one of Dash's sites. (If the action is small, such as sharing a link or making a post, our conversion rate would be higher. For a download or purchase, it would be lower.)

Every time someone embeds google code on their website, whether it's analytics, banners etc, they are actively assisting google in their spyware, tracking and profiling to get the targetted ROI you talk about. Being that dash is a privacy coin, I don't think it's a good idea that we encourage such behavior.

Every time someone embeds google code on their website, whether it's analytics, banners etc, they are actively assisting google in their spyware, tracking and profiling to get the targetted ROI you talk about. Being that dash is a privacy coin, I don't think it's a good idea that we encourage such behavior.

Using the same logic, you could say that Dash shouldn't integrate with any exchanges because they use the fiat banking system (which assists in tracking, profiling, worse etc.)*

*which would be a very silly argument.

Using the same logic, you could say that Dash shouldn't integrate with any exchanges because they use the fiat banking system (which assists in tracking, profiling, worse etc.)*

*which would be a very silly argument.

What made you think I wanted dash to go that route?

What made you think I wanted dash to go that route?

I just want Dash to win and continuously increasing Google/Bing search ads is how to do it. It's such an incredibly special game-changing advantage we could use.

Having the best product doesn't hurt, but that alone won't be good enough to beat the terrible entrenched regimes this world is saddled with.

I just want Dash to win and continuously increasing Google/Bing search ads is how to do it. It's such an incredibly special game-changing advantage we could use.

Having the best product doesn't hurt, but that alone won't be good enough to beat the terrible entrenched regimes this world is saddled with.

Well it doesn't help by belittling dash's marketing as "morale boosters". Personally, I would rather the money end up with hard working people that can engage and deliver e.g. Dash Aerosports, than a global spyware company that is not shy of click fraud. One of them is real and engaging, the other is a black box and morally abusive.

No other crypto has an ongoing self-financing system quite like dash. Dash is different, our approach to marketing makes us different. Any other crypto will burn through adwords and it's the last you've heard of them. Go ahead and point to a memorable adwords campaign.. "ah yes, I remember that ad I clicked the other day, it was amazing!". Go ahead, take a screenshot of it and show us how wonderful it is. Something we can be proud of, huh? Even our haters admit that dash does well with marketing.

I admit, dash would benefit from a more cohesive and developed marketing team. Let's get a Marketing DAO and CEO, fine.. but not if all they're going to blow a whole wad of money on pointless and momentary clicks.

Perhaps everyone should re-read what is being suggested...

"I am suggesting that Dash aim to spend 95% of its marketing budget (which is currently roughly 75% of its total budget) on digital search ads"
This here is a blatant attempt to take away dash's Unique Selling Point when it comes to marketing.

For all the things dash is remembered for, you want to de-fund it?

Perhaps you can post here all the marketing proposals for this month and direct us to change our mind and reject them? Please make it simple for us by posting all the "no" commands so that we can reject 95%.

75% of the total budget might be a stretch lol, although @dashdisciple did suggest starting out with as little as $100k which would be less than 5% of the budget.

I have no qualms about using google or facebook,...etc. It's just the reality of how things are done. We have already funded and continue to fund videos for Youtube. Google owns Youtube. Twitter isn't exactly a banner leader for privacy either. I think that Dash would be getting overly political if it tried to take an ideological position against certain companies. We should be using industry-standard tools at our disposal which includes things like google ads in order to inform people about our product. That's really the end goal. I really don't understand why it is perceived as if this type of marketing is some kind of temporary "hype/pump" whereas the other marketing we are already doing (Dash Aerosports, Max Keiser) are not. Both approaches are valid IMO but the more boring, google ads stuff is much more easily quantifiable and scalable.

Perhaps everyone should re-read what is being suggested...

"I am suggesting that Dash aim to spend 95% of its marketing budget (which is currently roughly 75% of its total budget) on digital search ads"
This here is a blatant attempt to take away dash's Unique Selling Point when it comes to marketing.

For all the things dash is remembered for, you want to de-fund it?

Perhaps you can post here all the marketing proposals for this month and direct us to change our mind and reject them? Please make it simple for us by posting all the "no" commands so that we can reject 95%.

Please note that DashTreasury.org, which was launched under my direction and funding, has subsidized over a dozen independent proposals. I am very much in favor of all good proposals, and have dedicated substantial personal resources towards that end.

I seek progress.

Back