• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Request for clarifications on various masternode directory & files configuration

S

stint

Hi
Although the guides are great, I'd just like to improve my understanding of a few things. If someone could chip in and clarify I'd be most grateful:

My questions refer to this guide: https://www.darkcointalk.org/threads/how-to-set-up-ec2-t1-micro-ubuntu-for-masternode-part-2-3.241/

[1] - What's the relationship between the directories /usr/bin and ubuntu/.darkcoin ?

I see the daemon initially gets copied into usr/bin but the darkcoin.conf lives in ubuntu/.darkcoin. How does the daemon know to look in there for its configuration file ?

Also, when we download the update, should we ideally use ~/.darkcoin to download to and then move it into use/bin to run from there ? I noticed somebody on the [ANN] forum today complain their daemon reported the wrong version and chaeplin told him to run it straight from ~/.darkcoin. This confused me because I wondered if the two distinct daemons are actually required. Could he have just cpy'd the update to /usr/bin and overwritten the v9 copy ?

**************** EDIT ************************************************
- It's now finding blocks. I restarted and it seems to be running now, but the IP tables test remains a fail and I'd still appreciate having a better understanding of the update process and where things should ideally live. In particular, can I just keep overwriting the /usr/bin daemon with updates (it's still reporting v9)
[2] - I deleted my daemon in usr/bin after reading that post (thinking the update in ~/.darkcoin was now the 'live one') before I understood what was going on here. I've since gone through the initial build procedure again and re-instated it (don't worry - I might just bin the entire instance later and start again to keep it clean but this is a very useful familiarisation exercise for me right now). My daemon now runs again but it doesn't download any blocks and the log appears to not find any peers. Here's the log:

2014-06-18 18:08:02 Unable to bind to [::]:9999 on this computer. DarkCoin is probably already running.
2014-06-18 18:08:02 Unable to bind to 0.0.0.0:9999 on this computer. DarkCoin is probably already running.
2014-06-18 18:08:02 Error: Unable to bind to 0.0.0.0:9999 on this computer. DarkCoin is probably already running.
2014-06-18 18:08:02 Error: Failed to listen on any port. Use -listen=0 if you want this.
2014-06-18 18:08:02 Shutdown : In progress...

Also, when I run the IP tables test, it fails with:
Error occurred at line: 2
Try `iptables-restore -h' or 'iptables-restore --help' for more information.
ubuntu@ip-xxx-yy-zz-aa:~$

What have I missed form the recovery ? I've checked that /etc/rc.local and /etc/iptables are as they should be for the remote machine.
Any tips much appreciated ! :)

When you copy it into usr/bin, it makes it possible to run the daemon from anywhere.

The .darkcoin directory is the place the daemon looks into for information.

When you copy it into usr/bin, it makes it possible to run the daemon from anywhere.

The .darkcoin directory is the place the daemon looks into for information.

Many thanks ! That makes a lot of stuff clearer.

Back