• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Installing DASH Wallets on Linux (UBUNTU)

Toxic Trinity

Greetings all! Great to be part of the growing DASH phenomenon.

During past few days, I have made several unsuccessful attempts to install both the Dash Core Wallet AND the Electrum Dash wallet.

I have installed applications in Linux before. So I am not a novice.

Therefore I am confident there are serious issues with the installation of these two wallets into a Linux distribution. Can anyone else concur?

Note that I have completed an MD5 checksum check. No problems. So I know I have a 'clean' download file.

I do not want to try and force an installation using my Synaptic Package Manager; nor do I want to be overly clever by trying out a few arcane Linux functions to try and force the issue.

I think you will agree ... both of these Wallet options should have already been configured and tested so that Users can smoothly install the one of their choice, without having to "jump through any hoops".

Currently, the DASH Official Website points to a set of YouTube videos that explain the install procedures for the Dash Core Wallet.

Unfortunately, the version that describes the installation of the Linux Core Wallet is almost 1 year out of date. In other words, it is not consistent with the file (tar.gz) now being offered for download.

When I attempt to follow this video to a tee, then I at first find that my downloaded tar.gz does not contain both the 32 bit + 64 bit folders. No technical problem there, but this minor discrepancy with the video does help to show the video guide is too out of date! More recent work has superseded it.

Following on with this short Video Guide ... I then find my dash-qt file does NOT display as a Diamond after I have unpacked it to my Desktop (as instructed by the Video).

Furthermore, clicking on that unpacked dash-qt file initiates nothing. It's simply acting like a .txt file.

Anyone familiar with Linux (Ubuntu) knows that you cannot install directly from a tar.gz file. Contents have to be compiled. So the DASH Help System is currently totally inadequate for Linux Users.

As regards the Electrum Dash Wallet ... there is absolutely zero guidance. From the DASH Official Website I am downloading two files: (1) an Installer Package, and (2) an Installer Bin.

This binary arrangement does NOT equate with packages I have successfully installed in the past. And in any case, it would appear the Electrum Dash Wallet installation is so much more involved, one has to ask ... why is there no published guidance?

Looks like a very serious oversight to me.

Linux packages will not install unless all Dependencies are present. Any future DASH User Guide for Linux Users should explain if the Electrum Dash Wallet install process will also look to download and install additional dependencies.

In other words, these dependencies need to be listed, so the User can anticipate what to expect during the installation.

Perhaps he could then take steps to download those dependencies from a known source first.

I am throwing this personal experience out "into the ether". Of course, I don't know who is ultimately responsible for providing the Linux packages and tarballs.

I realize that most things have been moving at supersonic speed these past 4 to 6 months. So I am happy to cut plenty of slack. DASH has traveled a million miles forward since August of 2015.

But please, will someone get a handle on this LINUX Wallet issue?

It is a serious shortcoming ... that DASH cannot yet offer a relatively smooth install experience for the Linux / Ubuntu community.

There are now millions of exclusively Linux O/S Users around the world. The number continues to grow. It is possible the Linux User Community will soon equate or exceed the size of the Mac User Community. Perhaps any accurate statistics would confirm they already have!

And also, I am chomping at the bit to get a DASH wallet set up on my Ubuntu computer so I can get going with my grand new strategy.

So ... appreciations to the DASH Developer community for all that you have done, and will do. But please, let's get this issue sorted and fast. Shouldn't be too difficult for all those who have tackled far more complex issues already!

Regards to all,

Toxic Trinity

Hello and welcome :smile:

Yes, you are absolutely correct - this video (and instructions in wiki probably?) are a bit outdated now because:
0) it's a community made videos i.e. people do something here and there when they have time and passion (kudos to buster who did such a great work)
1) we provide separate distros for 32/64 to lower the size of downloads now
2) our build system produces files that are recognized as shared lib and not as executables (though they are).

I wrote a simple script to install dash-qt from downloaded archive and to give it a nice icon on your ubunu desktop, you can find it (and corresponding instructions) here https://dashtalk.org/threads/linux-wallet-download-installation-guide.3901/#post-65041
We could pack it inside tars probably... flare ?

As for Electrum part - let me also ping thelazier and crowning to give you a better answer.

Also pinging tungfa for wiki and buster for video updates maybe? :rolleyes:

Hi Toxic Trinity,

thanks for your (very good) first post. As I am the packaging and release manager of both Dash and Electrum-Dash I'd like to learn more about the issues you have identified.

As for the videos: These are community contributions which have outdated during the last 12 months. Maybe someone has time and resources to create a set of new ones?

Best,
Holger

This is the video in question, and it is very outdated which also has me questioning whether or not the other videos for other OS's are also outdated.

1) It leads to dashpay.io
2) The files inside tar.gz used to be executable? Hence the reason I could click the 'diamond' (2:25 in video). Now the only way around this is to either

a) use the script udjin provided above which will place a nice dash graphic on your desktop and can be used to open the wallet any time.
b) open the dash-qt 'txt' document inyour terminal using this command (must be in the directory where dash-qt is located.)
./dash-qt

I would be open to recreating these videos. I would like to be sure there wont be any major changes to the files/procedure when installing any time soon though before I did. That way I'm not trying to make new videos a month from now.

Toxic Trinity

If you want I can walk you through the process of installing dash on ubuntu until I get a new video up. You can pm me here or we can meet up in the dash irc or you can come to my public dash slack channel. Shoot me a pm and let me know if you would like some help.

I would be open to recreating these videos. I would like to be sure there wont be any major changes to the files/procedure when installing any time soon though before I did. That way I'm not trying to make new videos a month from now.
The packaging should be pretty stable, I don't expect large changes. As far as I know the Linux binaries will be executable again in 12.1 - UdjinM6 will have to update me here.

So very appreciated if we can see a new how-to video :)

The packaging should be pretty stable, I don't expect large changes. As far as I know the Linux binaries will be executable again in 12.1 - UdjinM6 will have to update me here.

So very appreciated if we can see a new how-to video :)

If binaries will be executable again in 12.1 might be good to wait for that for videos. I'll start looking at all the videos see how outdated each of them are. Will ping tungfa see if we can get started on a revamp for these things.

If binaries will be executable again in 12.1 might be good to wait for that for videos. I'll start looking at all the videos see how outdated each of them are. Will ping tungfa see if we can get started on a revamp for these things.

I am planning a redesign (cover and back images of all videos + ref to dash.org) since a while
and sure a couple of new once (where needed) would be amazing !
ready when you are bust :wink:

UdjinM6 flare just wanted to be sure can you confirm binaries for linux will be executable in v 12.1? tungfa and I are speaking via pm, will be starting this when v12.1 comes out either way but still I'm just wondering. Thanks.

Heh, nice to see you guys, buster and tungfa, in positive mood and ready to work :smile:

I just pushed a pull request which changes a lot. Hopefully we'll be able to produce new binaries very soon (depends on how many things I broke in our build system :rolleyes:) but probably we'll also change some more packaging options a bit later (we need to figure out few things first). Once new builds are working I think nothing should stop us from (re)starting testnet. And once it's stable we'll be ready to mess with wiki/video updates imo.

PS.

My apologies to all for my delayed response to the above comments. Currently, I am preparing to change my physical address. Since last Saturday (20th February) I've been dealing with a large amount of "one-off" issues. So it's been difficult to find the spare time to return to this thread.

Okay ... allow me to quickly summarize my initial response to all the above.

I was both pleasantly surprised AND exceedingly impressed by all responses elicited by my original posting.

The degree of "can-do" and the enthusiastic desire to fix whatever technical problem arises, despite the obvious challenge of having to coordinate disparately located people, has been a wonderful thing to witness.

Collectively, each and every response to my "critique" is mature and thoughtful.

In fact, they are so good, I am now feeling somewhat guilty for not "toning down" some of my original points. For example, in my original post I wrote: "Looks like a very serious oversight to me."

I grimaced when I first re-read that! What I now wish I had written is simply: "Looks like an oversight to me". Or perhaps I could have reformatted it as a question ... "Is this an oversight?"

As regards the YouTube DASH Guide videos, I should add that these were very well produced. Clear presentation. Good format. Good pace. The only legitimate problem being the mismatch between them and some of the downloads now on offer. A bug that crept in, unseen.

My appreciations to UdjinM6 for untangling the code issues at lightening speed.

My appreciations to flare (Holger) for his modesty and kind comments.

My appreciations to buster, who seems to be the Narrator on the guide vids. Great job buster! Just do more of the same my friend, and you'll make a lot of new DASH customers happy.

My appreciations to tungfa for being so quick off the mark, after spotting an opportunity to slot in other, additional improvements (vis-a-vis cover and back images for the revised vids)

And finally my appreciations to TaoOfSatoshi who is doing great work over on Twitter to bring all this great work to the attention of ever more people, worldwide.

I trust that Jeff Berwick's ANARCAPULCO event has given you all a boost. This is just gonna get bigger and bigger my friends.

----------------------------------------------

My sincere thanks for all the kind offers of direct assistance to get my DASH Wallet installed ...

Sadly, I cannot take advantage at this moment in time because I am already up to my neck in extraneous issues linked to my home move.

Once I have re-settled, and got my new Internet access sorted, I shall make my first attempt to follow UdjinM6's revised guide.

If I get flustered, I will call on you buster to help me out.

Holger ... you've got a great team!

Stay focused men! The world needs DASH!

I hope to see DASH firmly entrenched in the top 5 or 6 of all global crypto currencies before September of 2017. :~)

My apologies to all for my delayed response to the above comments. Currently, I am preparing to change my physical address. Since last Saturday (20th February) I've been dealing with a large amount of "one-off" issues. So it's been difficult to find the spare time to return to this thread.

Okay ... allow me to quickly summarize my initial response to all the above.

I was both pleasantly surprised AND exceedingly impressed by all responses elicited by my original posting.

The degree of "can-do" and the enthusiastic desire to fix whatever technical problem arises, despite the obvious challenge of having to coordinate disparately located people, has been a wonderful thing to witness.

Collectively, each and every response to my "critique" is mature and thoughtful.

In fact, they are so good, I am now feeling somewhat guilty for not "toning down" some of my original points. For example, in my original post I wrote: "Looks like a very serious oversight to me."

I grimaced when I first re-read that! What I now wish I had written is simply: "Looks like an oversight to me". Or perhaps I could have reformatted it as a question ... "Is this an oversight?"

As regards the YouTube DASH Guide videos, I should add that these were very well produced. Clear presentation. Good format. Good pace. The only legitimate problem being the mismatch between them and some of the downloads now on offer. A bug that crept in, unseen.

My appreciations to UdjinM6 for untangling the code issues at lightening speed.

My appreciations to flare (Holger) for his modesty and kind comments.

My appreciations to buster, who seems to be the Narrator on the guide vids. Great job buster! Just do more of the same my friend, and you'll make a lot of new DASH customers happy.

My appreciations to tungfa for being so quick off the mark, after spotting an opportunity to slot in other, additional improvements (vis-a-vis cover and back images for the revised vids)

And finally my appreciations to TaoOfSatoshi who is doing great work over on Twitter to bring all this great work to the attention of ever more people, worldwide.

I trust that Jeff Berwick's ANARCAPULCO event has given you all a boost. This is just gonna get bigger and bigger my friends.

----------------------------------------------

My sincere thanks for all the kind offers of direct assistance to get my DASH Wallet installed ...

Sadly, I cannot take advantage at this moment in time because I am already up to my neck in extraneous issues linked to my home move.

Once I have re-settled, and got my new Internet access sorted, I shall make my first attempt to follow UdjinM6's revised guide.

If I get flustered, I will call on you buster to help me out.

Holger ... you've got a great team!

Stay focused men! The world needs DASH!

I hope to see DASH firmly entrenched in the top 5 or 6 of all global crypto currencies before September of 2017. :~)
Great post! Thank you for all of your kind words. Good luck with your move.

I installed Electrum-cash it works perfectly and its only been week after the fork. I tried Electrum-Dash (has the exact same install instructions) fails right off the bat. I get this error

$ ./electrum-dash
Error: No module named dns. Try 'sudo pip install <module-name>'

tried the pip install cant find dns module.

if they can make electrum-cash work then electrum-dash should work too. (is anyone really working on this?)

Back