• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Secure place to store dash besides QT

Is paper wallet secure. To me it feels there is very little entropy generated?

I personally do it with the dash-qt -> dumpprivkey -> write it on paper myself. No printer and no internet has to be involved, but writing takes some time and has to be double triple-checked.

Use Electrum-Dash https://www.dash.org/downloads/

And for added security, you can use it with a Trezor.

+1 on Electrum-Dash.

If you have a cheap/spare/old computer, you can use that instead of a Trezor and achieve the same level of security.

All you have to do is install Electrum-Dash on a spare computer that is NEVER connected to the internet. Physically remove the wifi card from it if there is one.

Generate your wallet on the offline computer, then after you've written down the mnemonics and encrypted it, you can use the menu to display its Master Public Key and corresponding QR code.

Now install Electrum-Dash on your normal internet-connected computer, like your laptop, and instead of creating a wallet, select RESTORE and click the QR scanner button and scan that Master Public Key displayed on your OFFLINE electrum-dash wallet (or just enter it manually if you're using a desktop computer and don't have a camera).

After importing the Master Public Key onto your online computer, Electrum-Dash will display the words "watch-only" at the top of the window. You can now securely manage your offline wallet from your internet-connected computer. Whenever you try to spend, Electrum will generate a signature request, which you bring to the OFFLINE computer's Electrum, where you verify the spend-to address&amount, sign the transaction, then take the signed transaction back to the online computer to broadcast it to the Dash network.

I personally do it with the dash-qt -> dumpprivkey -> write it on paper myself. No printer and no internet has to be involved, but writing takes some time and has to be double triple-checked.

Couple of questions pille:
Will the privkey rescue still work if my DASH is committed to a masternode and the address is locked inside my dash-qt wallet?
How do I use the privkey to rescue my DASH if I lose my dash-qt wallet?

Couple of questions pille:
Will the privkey rescue still work if my DASH is committed to a masternode and the address is locked inside my dash-qt wallet?
How do I use the privkey to rescue my DASH if I lose my dash-qt wallet?

Yes. And the command to rescue is:

importprivkey <bitcoinprivkey> [label]

takes some time to rescan

+1 on Electrum-Dash.
After importing the Master Public Key onto your online computer, Electrum-Dash will display the words "watch-only" at the top of the window. You can now securely manage your offline wallet from your internet-connected computer. Whenever you try to spend, Electrum will generate a signature request, which you bring to the OFFLINE computer's Electrum, where you verify the spend-to address&amount, sign the transaction, then take the signed transaction back to the online computer to broadcast it to the Dash network.

Does this still work right now ?
For me with 2.4.1 whenever i try to click send and thereby create a transaction which i can sign offline afterwards it says:
"NoneType" object has no attribute _getitem_

Any help here?

Back