• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Why does Evolution require email registration?

Museifu

There've been multiple queries in this regard scattered across recent threads, so I thought I'd dedicate a whole post to the matter in the hopes that a core dev could explain more thoroughly.

Is this about smoothing the way for KyC regulations in the future? Collecting metadata or user information to be packaged up and sold? Some technical reason I'm not grasping?

The silence thus far on the matter is deafening.

There've been multiple queries in this regard scattered across recent threads, so I thought I'd dedicate a whole post to the matter in the hopes that a core dev could explain more thoroughly.

Is this about smoothing the way for KyC regulations in the future? Collecting metadata or user information to be packaged up and sold? Some technical reason I'm not grasping?

The silence thus far on the matter is deafening.

To prevent Sybil attacks.

For what it's worth, the silence is probably "deafening" because:
a) Evan just returned from Miami and is probably still jet-lagged
b) The demo and even the whitepapers themselves are basically in pre- pre-alpha stage. AFAIK, no 100% firm decisions have been made on anything; everything is subject to change.

I think we could remove the email requirement by simply requiring a one-off fee of 0.01 dash for each new username.

1. Alice creates username.
2. Alice now has a two hour window to deposit some dash.

3. Dash payments to new usernames only hit the blockchain when the amount is 0.01 dash or more.
4. Dash deposit received within time frame, deduct the one-off registration fee (0.01 dash).
5. One-off registration fee goes towards dash projects, possibly chosen during registration process.
6. New usernames are deleted after two hours if no valid deposit is received.

Of course, this all happens automatically so the user experience is very straightforward.

I think we could remove the email requirement by simply requiring a one-off fee of 0.01 dash for each new username.

3. Dash payments to new usernames only hit the blockchain when the amount is 0.01 dash or more.
4. Dash deposit received within time frame, deduct the one-off registration fee (0.01 dash).
5. One-off registration fee goes towards dash projects, possibly chosen during registration process.

Of course, this all happens automatically so the user experience is very straightforward.

Also, this registration/user creation should be made in a decentralised manner, directly from the user's wallet (instead of from a specific website).

And, users would be possible to create as many alias as they need/want (as long as they pay the specific fee), improving privacy.

Personally, however, I wouldn't of gone down the unique username path because it basically excludes all other name spaces. For example, if AT&T wanted to bridge telephone numbers to dash accounts... well now they can't because dash isolated itself by making it's own namespace. It would of been far better if we rented out the namespace and let the wallet providers decide how it mapped.

Instead of user "alice" it could of been "bell.1555487642" or "google.alice". The important thing is, there'd be no naming conflicts and it would scale better.

I like the way Openledger handlles registration. You can register a complicated alias (includes numbers or punctuation) using a faucet or pay a fee for a simpler alias.

Personally, however, I wouldn't of gone down the unique username path because it basically excludes all other name spaces. For example, if AT&T wanted to bridge telephone numbers to dash accounts... well now they can't because dash isolated itself by making it's own namespace. It would of been far better if we rented out the namespace and let the wallet providers decide how it mapped.

Instead of user "alice" it could of been "bell.1555487642" or "google.alice". The important thing is, there'd be no naming conflicts and it would scale better.

We just need to reserve the Dash namespace. Like "-alice" (which would be the same as "dash.alice" in your examples).

But simple username have more value

We can use the existing domain name system. E.g. <user>.evolution.dash.org.

Back