• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Node

Hello everybody,

I've found that different pi os' behave better than others, but don't have a solid production-worthy recommendation (yet!)

For the dash soda machine, we're using the latest osmc build. Its kernel seems to have played the nicest with dashd.
(I put dashd on my home osmc/kodi install and let it run for over a week just fine)
When we started getting unexpected dashd crashes (on NOOBS I think), I decided to use osmc as our base image. (quick and dirty, but we needed stability pronto!)

For MangledBlue's pi, I installed 'monit' with the following configuration:

install
Code:
sudo apt-get install monit

create file /home/user/.dash/start_dashd.sh
(change user to yours)
Code:
#!/bin/bash
/bin/su user -c '/home/user/.dash/dashd 2>&1 >> /home/user/.dash/rc.local.log'

make it executable
Code:
chmod 755 /home/user/.dash/start_dashd.sh

sudo edit file /etc/monit/monitrc
Code:
# uncomment these lines
set httpd port 2812 and
   use address localhost  # only accept connection from localhost
   allow localhost        # allow localhost to connect to the server and
# add this to bottom - change user to yours
check process dashd with pidfile /home/user/.dash/dashd.pid
    start program = "/home/user/.dash/start_dashd.sh" with timeout 60 seconds
    stop program = "/bin/su user -c /home/user/.dash/dash-cli stop"

load the new configuration
Code:
sudo monit reload

enable the watchdog
Code:
sudo monit start dashd

That's it. You only have to do above once.

Then you can check status by doing
Code:
sudo monit status

It'll keep your dashd running for you (across reboots too, no need for any crons or scripts) and keep you from fighting with your chosen os.

monit only runs once a minute, so be patient if you're waiting for it to do something.

If you need proof it works, once you see your dashd in the 'sudo monit status' output, you can test it by simply stopping your dashd (dash-cli stop) -- within 2 minutes it'll start it back up.
(But, you don't really need to do that, pi's take between 20 and 40 minutes to completely start up. I recommend leaving it alone once dashd is up and running.)

Enjoy! :)

Yeppers......
This thing works WONDERS!!!

The only time I've had to manually reboot/restart my MN for the past 2-3 months, at least, is when the power went out 2 weeks ago.
The above script is the way to go - completely awesome stuff :-D

THX again moocowmoo

Speaking of the upgrade to ./dashman - to include both restart and monitoring - how will that affect my current setup, with 2x restart programs working/running...???

hummmmmm

If your talking about a pre-compiled wallet for the Pi - there is actually - looking for the link.....

https://dashpay.atlassian.net/builds/browse/DASHP-REL-10/artifact
THIS LINK SHOULD ONLY BE USED TO GET THE PRE-COMPILED PI VERSION - NOTHING ELSE
>>>>>>>> FOR ALL OTHER DOWNLOADS GO TO dash.org/downloads <<<<<<<<

I have BEGGED flare SO MANY TIMES to get the Pi version listed on the dash.org/downloads, it's not even funny
BUT
It never happens :-( [so sad] :-(
BUT
I'm not sure WHO makes that call so.....

To compile the wallet on the Pi it's self, it take 2 hours - easy
Flare can do it in like 15 minutes with some kind of Pi emulator software on his fancy computer :p <<< @ flare
I have added the RPi2 binaries to the official website now

upload_2016-1-23_13-9-8.png

Did you already try the Pi2 binaries on your Pi1? Theoretically it should work...

Ah, no did not.

Will do that now; I assumed it wouldn't work for some reason.

:)

Pablo.

I do believe Pi1 is ARM6 and Pi2 is ARM7

Is that not an issue?

Theoretically the binaries are compiled for ARM6 and therefore should run on both.

Yes - now that I think about it -hummm
There is no NOOBs and Raspian for ARM6 or ARM7 individually - so - as always - you would be correct :p
lol

my MN is been running super stable for almost 1 year , but lately dashd is been going down twice /month .
i decided to follow Reuben's guide and i got everything running except for the restart script
i'm a linux noob so i need your expertise :
i get this error when i type this :
command: xxxxx@vultr:~/dashman$ /bin/su xxxxx -c '/home/xxxxx/.dash/dashd 2>&1 >> /home/xxxxx/.dash/rc.local.log'
Password: ***********

Error: xxxxx@vultr:~/dashman$ Error: Cannot obtain a lock on data directory /home/xxxxx/.dash. Dash Core is probably already running.

thx in advance for your help

my MN is been running super stable for almost 1 year , but lately dashd is been going down twice /month .
i decided to follow Reuben's guide and i got everything running except for the restart script
i'm a linux noob so i need your expertise :
i get this error when i type this :
command: xxxxx@vultr:~/dashman$ /bin/su xxxxx -c '/home/xxxxx/.dash/dashd 2>&1 >> /home/xxxxx/.dash/rc.local.log'
Password: ***********

Error: xxxxx@vultr:~/dashman$ Error: Cannot obtain a lock on data directory /home/xxxxx/.dash. Dash Core is probably already running.

thx in advance for your help

This is probably because you run dashd more than once. There is a .lock file that prevents dashd to run more than once. Maybe your raspi had an ubnormal termination, and the .lock file remains.

1) Check if dashd is running by typing:
ps -efl|grep dashd

It will show the processes, so you will see if dashd is running. If it is running then stop the dashd.

2) If dashd dont stop then you may reboot your raspi to stop the dashd, or in the strange case you reboot and dashd still remains, then try to stop it, and if you still cannot, then you have to check the /etc/init.d file (which requires some linux knowledge) or you can try to type:

ps -efl|grep dashd
kill -9 dashd_procces

where dashd_procces is the process of dashd that you will discover when typing the "ps -efl|grep dashd" command

3) Most probably you wll discover that dashd dont run, so just try opening the directory /home/xxxxx/.dash and delete the file .lock. You may also do this step as your first step, but it is not tottaly safe to delete .lock whenever there is a possiblity that dashd runs.

4) run the dashd again (it will create .lock file again, hoping this new .lock is the correct one)

Last edited:
Back