• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

DarkCoin FPGA Mining Co-op?

Hi there, saw you guys made some progress here !!! In the meantime could anyone point me some direction on implanting the keccak sha3 algo on my virtex-5. I'm total new to fpga just can't find the start. Thanks alot for any help !

Hi there, saw you guys made some progress here !!! In the meantime could anyone point me some direction on implanting the keccak sha3 algo on my virtex-5. I'm total new to fpga just can't find the start. Thanks alot for any help !
Hi Ray,

I'm in the same boat, trying to learn to program FPGAs. I ordered a Virtex-5 dev kit that should be here soon. If you find out how to do it please share. I'll do the same of course.

typedef unsigned long sph_u64;
#define SPH_C64(x) ((sph_u64)(x ## UL))
T0 = SPH_C64(0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFC00)
T1 = 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

So they are just constants for our purpose here.
Is that what you wanted to know?
that's perfect, thanks!
I think you're right glamorgoblin, my full parallel Blake512 implementation took up a majority of my cyclone IV. I don't quite understand your idea, would the micros be there just to reprogram the FPGA between each algo?

I think you're right glamorgoblin, my full parallel Blake512 implementation took up a majority of my cyclone IV. I don't quite understand your idea, would the micros be there just to reprogram the FPGA between each algo?

Right, the micro would have its own flash memory with a bunch of partial FPGA images in it. It would have to supervise the routine. It would sequence through the hashes and then parse through the resulting 2K hashes to look for hits to submit. Some new FPGA's can support partial, on-the-fly reprogramming. With those devices the micro could ping-pong images into the FPGA. While one is executing the other is programming ... then swap. The intermediate hash states are just stored in the external RAM and run through the new hash algo after reprogramming. I don't know of a simple eval board though that could support this though. It requires a processor, FLASH, FPGA, and dedicated FPGA external DRAM. Not expensive, but also not something you find lying around.

Does your Blake512 implementation result in the same hash as that provided by fusecavator when given the same input? Are you using Verilog or VHDL? University code or your own? I'm almost done with Skien myself.

Ray and Atavacron,

There is a VHDL implementation of Keccak linked from the page at http://keccak.noekeon.org/. Look for the link on the right called "Hardware implementation in VHDL". This likely isn't the exact variant used in X11, but should be a great starting point for tweaking.

Right, the micro would have its own flash memory with a bunch of partial FPGA images in it. It would have to supervise the routine. It would sequence through the hashes and then parse through the resulting 2K hashes to look for hits to submit. Some new FPGA's can support partial, on-the-fly reprogramming. With those devices the micro could ping-pong images into the FPGA. While one is executing the other is programming ... then swap. The intermediate hash states are just stored in the external RAM and run through the new hash algo after reprogramming. I don't know of a simple eval board though that could support this though. It requires a processor, FLASH, FPGA, and dedicated FPGA external DRAM. Not expensive, but also not something you find lying around.

Does your Blake512 implementation result in the same hash as that provided by fusecavator when given the same input? Are you using Verilog or VHDL? University code or your own? I'm almost done with Skien myself.

How many cycles does it take to reprogram an FPGA?

I haven't got the padding going but the hash it's correct for a 1024-bit message. I'm going to try and get groestl going so I can at least mine something in the mean time.

EDIT: I forgot! It's my code in verilog. How about you?

Last edited by a moderator:
How many cycles does it take to reprogram an FPGA?
It depends on the FPGA, but if there's an external DDR device you'll have quite a bit of time to work with. I did the math wrong by the way. 1Gb worth of external RAM can hold 2M hashes, not 2K. The micro would have as much time as it takes to fully address all of the external RAM to reprogram the offside slot. Hashes would finish in 2M blocks rather than at regular intervals, but the overall hash rate would average out at the pool.
I haven't got the padding going but the hash it's correct for a 1024-bit message. I'm going to try and get groestl going so I can at least mine something in the mean time.
What can you mine with just groestl? I'm mining LTC with my FPGA rig in the meantime, but that's only marginally profitable. If there's something better I'll consider it too.
EDIT: I forgot! It's my code in verilog. How about you?
Yes, Verilog. I hate VHDL, but that seems to be what all the universities like. Yuk. Such an inefficient language for digital logic. Sigh.

Its been a while since I've coded, but I've got a Xilinx Kintex-7 FPGA KC705 Evaluation Kit that I could make available for testing.

Hi, wouldn't this board fit quite well?
http://www.dinigroup.com/new/DNBFC_S12_PCIe.php
I just inquired about prices, have no idea how much such gear costs.

This page has quite some code for the SHA-3 candidates
https://www.rcis.aist.go.jp/special/SASEBO/SHA3-en.html
I think you probably could fit it on that board, full parallel. Your only limitation would be propagation errors. Let us know what you get for the quote, I've got a feeling it's gonna be $8000. Thanks for the link!

It depends on the FPGA, but if there's an external DDR device you'll have quite a bit of time to work with. I did the math wrong by the way. 1Gb worth of external RAM can hold 2M hashes, not 2K. The micro would have as much time as it takes to fully address all of the external RAM to reprogram the offside slot. Hashes would finish in 2M blocks rather than at regular intervals, but the overall hash rate would average out at the pool.
I get it know, you would run the same amount of hashes+DDR interfacing, that it would take to program the offline side. That's wicked, I'll have to give it a crack.
What can you mine with just groestl? I'm mining LTC with my FPGA rig in the meantime, but that's only marginally profitable. If there's something better I'll consider it too.
There's Diamond coin and groestlcoin. They each have dismal net hashrates and volume however it's probably the most profitable move for us ATM. I've got my last Exam on Monday, so I'll smash out the Verilog for the hash on Tuesday. I imagine I will hit a wall at interfacing with the PC and, in turn, the network, especially running at 1H/cycle. Are you able to help out with that at all? I was thinking I would just use the bitcoin FPGA miner to do it.

I imagine I will hit a wall at interfacing with the PC and, in turn, the network, especially running at 1H/cycle. Are you able to help out with that at all? I was thinking I would just use the bitcoin FPGA miner to do it.
Sure, I can help. I've tinkered with the PC side scripts for BTC, LTC, and DOGE. I'm assuming though that you have a USB Blaster connected FPGA rig? That's what I'm most familiar with.
It looks like the Groestl mining pools support the older getwork protocols which is a plus too, since the scripts will port more easily. Once you get it all working cleanly with getwork, you can either call it a day or try to get one of the stratum proxies to work with it. I'm a little leery of the mining proxies. Seems like a perfect opportunity for someone to write a .exe that gives you 95% of your shares and just happens to attribute the other 5% to the author's account without telling you. Why mine when you can write a proxy script and skim off of hundreds of other miners? Of course there's much much worse that an .exe downloaded from God knows where could do as well.

PM me with details of GroestlCoin like header size/format. Also, if you're using the USB Blaster you'll need to insert Groestl specific probes/sources as virtual wires. Let me know the format of those in your Verilog and I'll see what I have that might match.

I think you probably could fit it on that board, full parallel. Your only limitation would be propagation errors. Let us know what you get for the quote, I've got a feeling it's gonna be $8000. Thanks for the link!
Thanks, they just replied without a quote and offered to talk about whats really needed.
How much memory would be required for each core ?
As it has 13 FPGAs, would X13 fit on it also, if the main dispatcher runs an algo task aside?

I'd like to run a calculation for a complete mining machine, based on that board.
Another idea would be a combi-box: A miner with a masternode included. Plug and play.

Thanks, they just replied without a quote and offered to talk about whats really needed.
How much memory would be required for each core ?
As it has 13 FPGAs, would X13 fit on it also, if the main dispatcher runs an algo task aside?

I'd like to run a calculation for a complete mining machine, based on that board.
Another idea would be a combi-box: A miner with a masternode included. Plug and play.
Not sure if you mean external or internal memory, I'll assume external. It matters how you implement it. If it's full combinatorial, you wouldn't need much memory at all (if any) apart from the controller chip. The main thing is that you would need a lot of logic elements per algo to do this, blake took 80,000 for me and it isn't the largest algo.
If you did each algo pipelined, say computing x-amount of hashes at a time, then you would need enough memory to store x-amount of hashes.

If you can fit x11 on that board, I'd say the additional 2 algos would also fit.

That would be wicked if you could have a controller that just programs the FPGAs once their powered up.

We could do this with 0.11 um or even 0.18 um technology, and finish the design firstly.
The MPW fee could be affordable with a small amount IPO and pre-order for full-mask in the future.
However, the risk is still high, because the Darkcoin team may change the mining algorithm anytime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, I can help. I've tinkered with the PC side scripts for BTC, LTC, and DOGE. I'm assuming though that you have a USB Blaster connected FPGA rig? That's what I'm most familiar with.
It looks like the Groestl mining pools support the older getwork protocols which is a plus too, since the scripts will port more easily. Once you get it all working cleanly with getwork, you can either call it a day or try to get one of the stratum proxies to work with it. I'm a little leery of the mining proxies. Seems like a perfect opportunity for someone to write a .exe that gives you 95% of your shares and just happens to attribute the other 5% to the author's account without telling you. Why mine when you can write a proxy script and skim off of hundreds of other miners? Of course there's much much worse that an .exe downloaded from God knows where could do as well.

PM me with details of GroestlCoin like header size/format. Also, if you're using the USB Blaster you'll need to insert Groestl specific probes/sources as virtual wires. Let me know the format of those in your Verilog and I'll see what I have that might match.
Any update on the GroestlCoin FPGA miner, cause it looks like a good starting point of X11. However, it should be noted that GroestlCoin will switch to PoS after 150000 in a month.
I am still working to upgrade the following Groestl Verilog code to 512 bit
https://www.rcis.aist.go.jp/files/special/SASEBO/SHA3-ja/Grostl.zip
Have you gotten a workable Groestl512 Verilog code integrated in the FPGA miner, meanwhile we may need another dump program of GroestlCoin, which used double Groestl512.
Maybe fusecavator will be a better person who could do this for us?

Back