• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

New to mining in general

TheDashGuy

I was looking into getting a miner set up, but I was curious if any of you could give me a quick price range for a decent setup ( I do not care about being profitable at all, just want to mine some coins while I have a chance.) and possible a difficulty level/time frame for me to really have it up and running?

I am very technical in the sense that I can figure anything out, but my ADHD makes it a slow process sometimes, so having a guide/checklist really helps me out haha. Hence the questions, thanks!!

I was looking into getting a miner set up, but I was curious if any of you could give me a quick price range for a decent setup ( I do not care about being profitable at all, just want to mine some coins while I have a chance.) and possible a difficulty level/time frame for me to really have it up and running?
I am very technical in the sense that I can figure anything out, but my ADHD makes it a slow process sometimes, so having a guide/checklist really helps me out haha. Hence the questions, thanks!!
I got an asus X79 with the 2011 slot that can run 3 graphics cards at a push depending what they are mining and which optimization, although I would recommend using a more standard processor that fits the 1150 socket if you're on intel.
Other miners like the Z97 mobo, on a budget thats where I would upgrade to, make sure you get 1 with as many full size graphics slots as possible because the cards will recognize better, a low end G3220 cpu should suffice for 4 cards, question is how much do you want to spend.
I recommend that you use as many of your current components as possible, what are you starting with ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gigabyte-...R3-PCIe-3-0-x16-2-Way-SLi-3-Way-/361447066873

Dont forget your power supply has to be large and expensive depending on how many cards.
There is a way of using old low wattage PSUs in parallel for each card which I made a thread about if you are interested in saving some bucks.

Btw, do NOT buy the H81 mining board at $30, it is rubbish, possibly the worst mobo ever made and will damage your PSUs and crash all the time.

Price range per graphics card(GTX 750 ti - R9 290 tri X) = $140 - $300
Motherboard (Z97) = $100
CPU (G3220) = $50
PSU = $100 -$300 (depending on total power used and use of old units in parallel to reduce cost)

Tip: Make sure you get a GPU that can be undervolted or you will use too much power and much heat, this will also give a large window of potential overclocking.
Tip2: don't bother with a metal computer box it will make the cards get hot, use an open frame, wood is easy to work with.

Price range per graphics card(GTX 750 ti - R9 290 tri X) = $140 - $300
Motherboard (Z97) = $100
CPU (G3220) = $50
PSU = $100 -$300 (depending on total power used and use of old units in parallel to reduce cost)

Tip: Make sure you get a GPU that can be undervolted or you will use too much power and much heat, this will also give a large window of potential overclocking.
Tip2: don't bother with a metal computer box it will make the cards get hot, use an open frame, wood is easy to work with.
<3 You are the shit.

Btw, do NOT buy the H81 mining board at $30, it is rubbish, possibly the worst mobo ever made and will damage your PSUs and crash all the time.

I have the H81 board runs 24/7 x365 for past two years now and no issues once i got it humming.... (knock on wood) It was great when it came out, but yeah if I were not on a budget there are still some better boards that can actually be useful after mining.

It's all about airflow / cooling and knowing how to work through technical issues. Fried a few power supplies getting things setup but once you get it rolling just let it roll.

I have the H81 board runs 24/7 x365 for past two years now and no issues once i got it humming.... (knock on wood) It was great when it came out, but yeah if I were not on a budget there are still some better boards that can actually be useful after mining.
It's all about airflow / cooling and knowing how to work through technical issues. Fried a few power supplies getting things setup but once you get it rolling just let it roll.
Air flow was fine, it does something weird to the power supplies so they are cross railed and makes everything unstable, cost me 2 PSU's to find this out, a very hit and miss board, you are lucky to have succesful mining, it is not worth saving a few bucks IMO.

Air flow was fine, it does something weird to the power supplies so they are cross railed and makes everything unstable, cost me 2 PSU's to find this out, a very hit and miss board, you are lucky to have succesful mining, it is not worth saving a few bucks IMO.

Yeah I burned up two PSU getting setup i had to move to powered pci-e risers...getting ready to upgrade to next gen video cards in 2016 the fans on video cards are starting to die off.

Yeah I burned up two PSU getting setup i had to move to powered pci-e risers...getting ready to upgrade to next gen video cards in 2016 the fans on video cards are starting to die off.
Powered risers still didn't work here.
Easy cheap fix for fans, just rip them out and put some leftover PC case fans in and run from the mobo, they are not quite as powerful but should do the trick and are more quiet, I have them run at full speed.

btw. I have 2 PSU 80+ to sell 650W and 700W ;)
DASH & BTC accepted ;)

Back