• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Can the DASH wallet show actual .dat file names

is there any way that the wallet client can be made to show the actual name of the wallet.dat file that has been opened ?

I'm not seeing the point - it's always gonna be wallet.dat

help me understand where I'm wrong

edit for spelling

Last edited:
I'm not seeing the point - it's always gonna be wallet.dat

help me understand where I'm wrong

edit for spelling
You can use -wallet=blablabla.dat and your wallet will be blablabla.dat file in your dash data folder.
Or you might want to use -datadir=/path/to/some/folder also (i.e. dash data folder will be smth non-default) and this label should help you to find out what's your current wallet folder now (could be helpful if you are running few wallets at a time for testing or smth)

You can use -wallet=blablabla.dat and your wallet will be blablabla.dat file in your dash data folder.
Or you might want to use -datadir=/path/to/some/folder also (i.e. dash data folder will be smth non-default) and this label should help you to find out what's your current wallet folder now (could be helpful if you are running few wallets at a time for testing or smth)

ok. I get that, my Russo DASH mate DEV but it's not gonna be helpful to my Grand-Mother now is it?
- IF she EVER get's to use DASH before she dies
We really need to stop thinking NERD here and start thinking PUBLIC MASS ADOPTION

Ask yourself - how does Joe Public feel about this?

Joe Pubic could care less what his or her wallet is called or where it lives.....

I am really starting to see and think that Crypto does not really care about mass adoption
- everybody has this FTW attitude and (so do I but not with my money and my time as I only have so much of my money and my time)
- the World is gonna tell us ALL >>>>>>>> in Crypto >>>>>>>>> to go FUCK ourselves

WHEN WILL CRYPTO STOP BEING NERDY AND START BEING USEFUL?????
As far as I can tell - Crypto will be a fading fade and soon to die if somebody does not get off there crypto-paid asses and start to do something about it.

I wanna see Evan in a body placard standing in Times Square or even on Wall Street explaining DASH
(but it's just not gonna happen unless DASH pay's for it - opp's - market dropped again)
oh wait
The Block chain lets Evan travel the world now so - hopefully he'll explain to my Grand-mother one day what and where a wallet.dat lives and does so she can use DASH

again...............

I'm - again - pretty sure: Joe Pubic could care less what his or her wallet is called or where it lives.....

and continue........etc etc

I'm not trying to be an ass but think about it.
If you guys and/or gals just want to milk crypto for what it is/was worth - JUST SAY SO and be done with it and throw your hands up and leave everybody to rot and die a cruel death
if not - Start finding REAL World ways to MAKE THINGS HAPPEN!!!

I am a DASH holder and I DEMAND RESULTS!!!

What wallet.dat file am I using?
really?

I was running 25 MN's, at my prime, with just as many wallet.dat files MANUALLY
That covered some 95 people at least
While consuming 8-12 pints a night
Not once did I flub a single wallet.dat file
but I did ONCE make a mistake on a payout to a MN percentage holder - quickly realized, found and corrected

again...............

Joe Public wants to earn money and spend money - live their lives
without effort.....

If asked.....
Where's my wallet.dat?
I would ask - was I hacked?

again - not trying to be an ass.... but please - oh please - ask yourself first.......how does Joe Public feel about this?

come on......

We really need to stop thinking NERD here and start thinking PUBLIC MASS ADOPTION
<Long long post I have no idea why>
Errr....:what:
I agree but I doubt this has anything to do with this specific thread. There was a feature request in first post:
is there any way that the wallet client can be made to show the actual name of the wallet.dat file that has been opened ?
Some people (me including) found it useful and crowning implemented it. I just explained you why it could be useful.
That's it.

If you have any ideas about what we need to change in wallet UI to make it better for mass adoption - feel free to create new thread and ask crowning to implem them too :tongue:

Errr....:what:
I agree but I doubt this has anything to do with this specific thread. There was a feature request in first post:

Some people (me including) found it useful and crowning implemented it. I just explained you why it could be useful.
That's it.

If you have any ideas about what we need to change in wallet UI to make it better for mass adoption - feel free to create new thread and ask crowning to implem them too :tongue:

I'm not trying to bust anybody's balls here - but really?

where's my dat @??

ugh......

I have asked for better 'updates' but they get kicked to the dirt - so why try when your gonna be told time and time again - (((silence)))

You folks in the DASH DEV world act like the modern GOV and do what you want to anyway - why should us 'little people' even try?

where's my dat @??

ugh......

I have asked for better 'updates' but they get kicked to the dirt - so why try when your gonna be told time and time again - (((silence)))

You folks in the DASH DEV world act like the modern GOV and do what you want to anyway - why should us 'little people' even try?
Well... I either missed smth or I completely do not understand ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Any link to " better 'updates' " btw?

PS. "do what you want to anyway" - I do what I can, I wish I was able to do what I want to...

where's my dat @??

Your grannie most probably won't ask this, but fact is amongst _existing_ Dash (or any other crypto-currency) users that's often asked.

I hear you, in fact Evan (from my point of view back then) ignoring my feature requests was the main reason why I became a Dash core-dev.

Whenever I have an idea for Dash, or someone else has an idea and it's brought to my attention, the following algorithm is applied:

1. How easy is it to implement? Sometimes small little changes are a PITA to implement because you have to change code almost everywhere, sometimes things which look huge to the end user are simple one-liners. I know some parts of the code quite well, for others I need some hours to get an idea what's going on and how it could be changed whithout breaking things. A day has 24 hours minus daily work minus girlfriend minus sleep minus a house (which also needs some maintenance from time to time). Not to mention other hobbies.
  2. How big is the target group and what is the use-case? If it's useful for everyone, go to 1 and add it to my "ToDo" list. If it's just useful for Masternode-owners go to 1. and add it to my "Ideas" list. If it's just useful for single persons or a small group of people add it to the "Other Ideas" list and most probably forget it. [*]
  3. Do I like and/or need it? If everything else is equal I normally start with feature requests I like or need.
  4. Does it interfere with other developments? For critical changes I ask for feedback from the other core devs to don't break things. In some cases changes will get postponed or completely cancelled. Sometimes you've already invested a day or two just to find out that it's better NOT done.
I'm pretty sure the other devs also judge more or less like this implicitly or explicitly, There's almost always more work than time. And the "Dash Evolution" development is also starting and someone has to do it.

I would really love to implement whatever people would like to have implemented, but that's unfortunately not possible.

[*]: "ToDo": will be implemented as time allows. "Ideas": might be implemented if there's nothing else to do and time allows.

I wrote a whole thread about this over the weekend - you might find it interesting (if you have the stamina to make it through).

I have always thought it odd that crypto wallets pull a file from a directory that is usually hidden to "normal users". I wouldn't even be able to count the number of times I've had to juggle multiple wallet.dat files for very tasks, and it would be very nice if the clients better facilitated quick-switching between them.

And we have all ready those threads where people were in the middle of trying to whip up a fresh wallet for one reason or another and somehow confused themselves and overwrote a file and lost their coins.

Something as simple as "Load Wallet" right under "Backup Wallet" is always what I envisioned...

make it through).
Something as simple as "Load Wallet" right under "Backup Wallet" is always what I envisioned...
Yer it is a pain switching over, renaming is off putting as the folder is hidden, also if listen=0 is set in config, you can have 2 or more wallets running simultaneously, if this was an option on a second startup(as opposed to error), and then an option for the new folder name.

Back