• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Can you think of a project to fund ?

Icebucket

It came to my attention that if all of the coins in the superblock are not allocated the rest of the coins that have no proposals get destroyed. That seems like such a waste.

So I wanted to create this thread for the community to brainstorm on ideas of proposals.

Never mind if you have the skill set to actually execute that idea, there are lots of capable people in our midst.

Think we should have in mind something that creates value for the Dash network, and if there comes a brilliant idea out of this I propose that a separate thread will be created for that idea for it to mature so we wont loose sight of this exercise .

Lets fire up this brainstorming session :smile:

Just to get us going I would love to see a noob explanation video series on everything connected to masternodes. How to use them, setup, secure, vote, etc.
This might lower the barrier for not so tech savvy people and give them confident to start a node for them self's. More nodes stronger network.

I know there are allot of good guides out there but a video explanation is just more user friendly in my simple mind :tongue:

p.s
I think that using the like button as a indication of how well the idea is being received would cut out some clutter from the thread.
(would be brilliant if there was a upvote button on this forum)

I think a good idea would be to showcase some dash tech in action. For example, InstantX always seemed like it could be very useful for arbitrage. So why not get in touch with one or two exchanges and offer them help integrating it into their systems? So budget would basically pay for a key account manager and a couple of hours of tech support/development.

If it works, it might get more liquidity into the market, and if not, the dash team & the exchange at least get to make a nice press release

Made an easy to use exchange site DASH <==> fiat in each country.
Ie : like coinbase in US, volabit in Mexico, ...

And also why not a localdashexchange site.

Yes, we need easy fiat to DASH conversion methods. This will assure us a good increase in market share. This includes a good PoS solution, alike to Bitpay, and a remittances service, like Bitspark:
An idea, regarding the temporary solution of a Bitspark like service, needed while there's still a demand for fiat worldwide remittances.

Local DASH service provider startups and trusted DASH members (with enough reputation in the community) from different countries/cities could serve as local "branches", coordinating this global service.

It would work like this:
  • There could be a "central" database/website listing the availability of such local "branches" worldwide.
  • The (previously registered?) customer (sender) would select "to" and "from" branches (countries/cities), would inform the receiver's bank info, and how much fiat (USD/EUR/BRL/RUB etc) he would like to send.
  • The system would calculate and tell the customer how much and where to deposit his "original/local" fiat to be sent.
  • The respective local branches would do the job (receiving "here", transfering enough DASH to the selected "receiving branch", which will be paying "there" the fiat deposit to the receiver of the remittance).
There will still be the need of enough liquidity in each branch, in order that it works properly. But the branches could have a database registry of local trustworthy traders in order to gain liquidity.

The main problems are:
  • It is a centralised service (the customers will have to trust it);
  • It would be demanded that the service comply with governments regulations;
  • The "service", itself, will have to rely and trust on the honesty of the "branches";
  • Having enough liquidity;
  • Not a simple solution (as far as I can see).
Possible solutions:
  • In order to be accepted (and listed) as branch, the DASH member/startup would have to keep a "minimum DASH deposit" in an escrow multisig address.
  • This deposited amount (the equivalent, converted to fiat at a current exchange rate) could serve as that branch's maximum transaction limit.
  • The global monthly profits could be equally divided by all participating branches in that period (of course, in proportion to their guarantee deposit).
  • The remuneration for each branch could also be calculated considering the total amount of remittances performed by that branch during the period, and that branch's "level of trust" from a reputation system (e.g. from rates given by customers).
  • etc...

As a follow up to the remittances subject. I was watching the BBC news channel today and there was an "infomercial" about a very clever service, TransferWise (transferwise.com)

According to Wikipedia, it works as follows:
How it works
800px-Transferwise.jpg

Usual money transfer services concept Vs Peer-to-Peer money transfer concept

"From the customer's point of view, money transfers with TransferWise are not essentially different from conventional money transfers: The customer chooses a recipient and a currency, the money to be transferred is taken from his or her account, the transferring company charges for the service, and some time later, the recipient receives the payment in the chosen currency."

"The difference lies in how TransferWise routes the payment. Instead of transferring the sender's money directly to the recipient, it is redirected to the recipient of an equivalent transfer going in the opposite direction. Likewise, the recipient of the transfer receives a payment not from the sender initiating the transfer, but from the sender of the equivalent transfer. This process avoids costly currency conversion and transfers crossing borders."

"In 2012, the company's charges were €1 or 0.5% (whichever is larger) an equivalent amount in the customer's currency. Conventional money transfer using British banks usually charge considerably higher fees, or require minimum transfer sums and give less competitive rates."

As it seems, they are currently doing a great PR job:
http://transfersreview.com/how-does-transferwise-work
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsore...fers/11435428/how-does-transferwise-work.html
etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Search Engine Optomization, the non scammy type. I want to Search 'Dash' in search engines and be on the front page. Currently dashpay.io shows up on page 3 of Google search engine when I search the word 'dash'. This may be because my browser history and recent search history. I know there's a marketing budget and SEO could fall under that, but it might be a good idea to have a single* campaign dedicated to SEO.

Edit typos*

Search Engine Optomization, the non scammy type. I want to Search 'Dash' in search engines and be on the front page. Currently dashpay.io shows up on page 3 of Google search engine when I search the word 'dash'. This may be because my browser history and recent search history. I know there's a marketing budget and SEO could fall under that, but it might be a good idea to have a single* campaign dedicated to SEO.

Edit typos*

we are on it already
SEO company is signed up
:wink:

What I would have proposed has already been put forward. Only thing I could add would possibly be a high network traffic tor-like service (but different- with Masternodes being high quality routers) Integrating possibly future version of blind nodes. The service would be pay as you go, and pay only for what you use by making use of micro payments. This could really give MN an income stream as well as help us reach out to more people.

Very cool Tungfa. It would help if the team could share what they are doing with the public (or do I not know where to look?)

Very cool Tungfa. It would help if the team could share what they are doing with the public (or do I not know where to look?)

i understand
but
Marketing/PR falls a bit under 'dark budgets' as you can not share these activities in advance !
Marekting/PR has to surprise, if we are all waiting (for story x to come out, page y to be updated, ....) it does not work anymore !
The more we share in advance, the more the 'hype' is gone by the release, and we need that hype to carry the news, excitement accross.
I know we are all a very tight community, and that is great and amazing, the team shares as much as they can, but when it comes to these points above please understand that a bit of secrecy is needed (to keep you surprised :wink:) as we all know how fast thinks leak (get twittered around).

Nothing is lamer than releasing something exciting, and 50% of the community yawns "I heard about that last months, old news, whats coming next'
:smile:

i understand
but
Marketing/PR falls a bit under 'dark budgets' as you can not share these activities in advance !
Marekting/PR has to surprise, if we are all waiting (for story x to come out, page y to be updated, ....) it does not work anymore !
The more we share in advance, the more the 'hype' is gone by the release, and we need that hype to carry the news, excitement accross.
I know we are all a very tight community, and that is great and amazing, the team shares as much as they can, but when it comes to these points above please understand that a bit of secrecy is needed (to keep you surprised :wink:) as we all know how fast thinks leak (get twittered around).

Nothing is lamer than releasing something exciting, and 50% of the community yawns "I heard about that last months, old news, whats coming next'
:smile:

I hear where you coming from but i dont entirely agree with this. These marketing / PR campaigns are not focused at the current DASH community i would not imagine.(they shouldn't be) I get what your saying about the hype but i think you might be undervaluing the current community to help with these campaigns.

I personally feel the money allocated to marketing & PR should be transparent. Surely we can help with the hype. You dont need to be running marketing campaigns for us. Were already on board. as they say " many hands make light work "

True, MrZilch, I think you can still tell the community that we're currently budgeting 30% for magazine layouts, 20% for a future conference and 50% on a commercial that will be aired but as yet undetermined time.

You know, something like that, when you know. Not exactly what is happening, but where the funds are being spent. You can say that the team working on this has determined that 20% of the marketing budget should be spent on magazine ads, etc.... Just tell everyone, the Marketing team has final say as to how those things will be allocated. But in a way, this might also still be a good thing to have a thread on so people can talk only about marketing and ideas. Some of those ideas might end up being brilliant AND doable. But the final decisions would be in the hands of the team assigned.

Also, it would make everyone feel better knowing where funds are being spent. They just want to know it's not being pocketed by people because the cat's away. And that it's not being forgotten either. That's what the people want, to know things are happening as promised, and that is only resolved when they get regular updates. I would think weekly updates would work.

Like reporting to the board of directors (the public) "We have an advertisement project projected to take 3 months to complete. Currently we're approximately 2/3 of the way through, and things are reportedly going well and on track." It doesn't reveal anything, but does reaffirm that the team hasn't forgotten about it.

I think I'm tired and repeating myself but don't know what to cut, so I'll stop here. I hope the team gets the idea. :)

True, MrZilch, I think you can still tell the community that we're currently budgeting 30% for magazine layouts, 20% for a future conference and 50% on a commercial that will be aired but as yet undetermined time.

You know, something like that, when you know. Not exactly what is happening, but where the funds are being spent. You can say that the team working on this has determined that 20% of the marketing budget should be spent on magazine ads, etc.... Just tell everyone, the Marketing team has final say as to how those things will be allocated. But in a way, this might also still be a good thing to have a thread on so people can talk only about marketing and ideas. Some of those ideas might end up being brilliant AND doable. But the final decisions would be in the hands of the team assigned.

Also, it would make everyone feel better knowing where funds are being spent. They just want to know it's not being pocketed by people because the cat's away. And that it's not being forgotten either. That's what the people want, to know things are happening as promised, and that is only resolved when they get regular updates. I would think weekly updates would work.

Like reporting to the board of directors (the public) "We have an advertisement project projected to take 3 months to complete. Currently we're approximately 2/3 of the way through, and things are reportedly going well and on track." It doesn't reveal anything, but does reaffirm that the team hasn't forgotten about it.

I think I'm tired and repeating myself but don't know what to cut, so I'll stop here. I hope the team gets the idea. :)

Im not that worried about people 'pocketing' the money, it more about letting the community have a bit of a say, as you said I bet there are many people on this sub that have great ideas to throw into the pot. This is what this democratic voting system is for IMO. We could vote on individual marketing strategies etc I think we might be surprised with the skills people in this community could offer! some marketing projects may need to be 'confidential' but not all of them.

I hear where you coming from but i dont entirely agree with this. These marketing / PR campaigns are not focused at the current DASH community i would not imagine.(they shouldn't be) I get what your saying about the hype but i think you might be undervaluing the current community to help with these campaigns.

I personally feel the money allocated to marketing & PR should be transparent. Surely we can help with the hype. You dont need to be running marketing campaigns for us. Were already on board. as they say " many hands make light work "

and "too many cooks.... "
we can not put any idea to open discussions + Vote, sorry but it just does not work like that
(you know how long it will take to get anything done ?)
+ everything is leaked right away (i can see that tweets already: "Dash will do .... soon')

we are not doing the PR campaign for our community (as we know you guys are all in) but we need you to be as
excited about it as the next guy (outsider) for sharing, posting, bumping,....

any suggestions from the community are well listened to and noted
but 'many cooks....' you have to find and stick to a certain plan, you can not just do everything at the same time.

there are certain aspects of the PR you can do, paid PR and Stories, paid share of Press Releases, paid shares of video,.....
imagine our troll friends getting wind of that and the whole PR campaign fails as every second comment will come from them pointing at :
Thread x = paid PR
sorry, no offence everybody (i did not want to start this discussion here)
but trust me that PR campaigning has to be sorted out in a small team
1st to get anything done
2nd to have the surprise effect

if there are issues and you guys do not trust us to take care of that money in a proper way
(thinking we spend it on coffee, ice-cream and margaritas)
there were discussions before about a community auditor who can look into the books if needed.
I am totally overtaking myself (and the plan) here, but these ideas are already in motion.

We don't want to have the Dash community tell the team what to do, just have quick reports as to what's happening with the investment in a very general way, so they know things are happening.

And the idea of a thread to discuss ideas, well we do that anyway, and when something that seems really interesting and promising comes up, someone generally contacts one of you core team peoples ;) We already brain fart all day (or at least I do, LOL) But being left completely in the dark without any confirmation that "we're still working on things" It's hard for the community! They feel isolated, which leads to insecurity and loss of confidence. When a simple update, even so it's vague, would alleviate it.

Back