• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

V12 Release

Solarminer Thanks! That's even simpler. Since dashd is already running the new process will not be able to get a lock on the data directory and will shut down or in case of a crash will launch.

Don't keep spawning dashd. You're wasting cpu, log space, and time.

Now the only thing I need to figure out is how to handle a frozen daemon.

You could probe rpc for a response using curl.

Code:
curl -v --user rpcusername:rpcpassword --data-binary '{"jsonrpc": "1.0", "id":"curltest", "method": "getinfo", "params": [] }' -H 'content-type: text/plain;' http://127.0.0.1:9998/

I'll post something robust later.

Nice. You read the user/pass from dash.conf and even check for curl and install if needed.

Is this any different than running ./dash-cli getinfo | grep -c "protocolversion" ?

It *prompts* to install if missing.

And, yes/no -- talking directly to dashd just leaves one less thing to sit and hang -- curl will timeout after ten seconds (latest commit).

dash-cli [command] can hang indefinately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I haven't read the latest in this thread, so sorry if someone already said this, but I wanted to let ya'all know that when I updated to 12.55, I lost my masternode, it said "Not capable masternode: Hot node, waiting for remote activation." when I restarted BUT I turned the masternode back off, deleted everything: the debug log, budget.dat, mncache.dat, mnpayments.dat etc... everything except the sub folders (blockchain stuff) and wallet.dat, dash.conf and masternode.conf. Restarted dashd and this time, it came up masternode started successfully. So try that before giving up and restarting your hot wallet, which will lose your spot in line!

So is this all you need? Should do both the dashd and the dash_shutdown.
/home/dash/dash-rpctest.sh || pkill -9 dash && sleep 20 && dashd

I guess you could just give it few minutes to resync masternode list and it should be good after that
I had the same error, but mine didn't go even after an hour or two. I think they got confused with versions or something.

I'll try the delete unnecessary files next time. Thanks TS.

Hey guys, I haven't read the latest in this thread, so sorry if someone already said this, but I wanted to let ya'all know that when I updated to 12.55, I lost my masternode, it said "Not capable masternode: Hot node, waiting for remote activation." when I restarted BUT I turned the masternode back off, deleted everything: the debug log, budget.dat, mncache.dat, mnpayments.dat etc... everything except the sub folders (blockchain stuff) and wallet.dat, dash.conf and masternode.conf. Restarted dashd and this time, it came up masternode started successfully. So try that before giving up and restarting your hot wallet, which will lose your spot in line!

I delete everything when upgrading and/or rebooting after a crash
[everytyhing that's not needed that is]
keep *.conf files and what not

So is this all you need? Should do both the dashd and the dash_shutdown.
/home/dash/dash-rpctest.sh || pkill -9 dash && sleep 20 && dashd

something like that, but I'd do the right hand side in a separate script.

dashman does:
Code:
dash-cli stop 2>&1 >/dev/null
sleep 10
killall -9 dashd dash-shutoff 2>/dev/null

note: on slower systems, ten seconds is sometimes not enough time for dashd to complete it's cleanup.

Not capable masternode: Hot node, waiting for remote activation.

This is a normal phase of startup. The node is waiting to see it's start signal /from the network/.

I delete everything when upgrading

removing cache files is a good practice in my experience.

on upgrades, dashman does:

Code:
rm -f budget.dat debug.log fee_estimates.dat mncache.dat mnpayments.dat peers.dat

Yah, but if the masternode doesn't start after 10 minutes or more, you know something is wrong. And you only have about 70 minutes to mess around, so... I don't know if it really helped, but my masternode was started immediately on my other two masternodes, but this one was down for 15 minutes when I decided to try that, then started immediately afterwards. So, not sure if I simply didn't wait long enough, but was glad it restarted, and apparently it didn't hurt ;)

Yah, but if the masternode doesn't start after 10 minutes or more, you know something is wrong. And you only have about 70 minutes to mess around, so... I don't know if it really helped, but my masternode was started immediately on my other two masternodes, but this one was down for 15 minutes when I decided to try that, then started immediately afterwards. So, not sure if I simply didn't wait long enough, but was glad it restarted, and apparently it didn't hurt ;)

I had the same thing. One node still didn't start on its own after almost 30 mins. All the rest were ok. I'm using moocowmoo's script.

I had the same error, but mine didn't go even after an hour or two. I think they got confused with versions or something.

I'll try the delete unnecessary files next time. Thanks TS.

I had the same thing. One node still didn't start on its own after almost 30 mins. All the rest were ok. I'm using moocowmoo's script.

Seems like it's not that rare as I thought... Weird...
Can I have debug.log if you hadn't wipe it during restarts pls?

Luckily I still had the debug log open from when I was having troubles, so there isn't too much above it (I could trim it but I might delete something that turns out to be important? Anyway, I've sent it to you :)

I have some logs too if you want them. I was thinking this is the problem. It finds an old version after the new version with more peers. Wasn't there a time adjustment on this release, could it be thinking the old version is started after the new version?
receive version message: /Dash Core:0.12.0.55/: version 70103, blocks=3442xx.... peer 1
receive version message: /Dash Core:0.12.0.53/: version 70103, blocks=3442xx....peer 2

Looks like you found a fix, but maybe this helps.

I have some logs too if you want them. I was thinking this is the problem. It finds an old version after the new version with more peers. Wasn't there a time adjustment on this release, could it be thinking the old version is started after the new version?
receive version message: /Dash Core:0.12.0.55/: version 70103, blocks=3442xx.... peer 1
receive version message: /Dash Core:0.12.0.53/: version 70103, blocks=3442xx....peer 2

Looks like you found a fix, but maybe this helps.
I think I found it already, thanks! :)

These messages are showing which version peers your wallet connecting to are running (i.e. peer 1 is on .55 while peer 2 is still on .53) - so nothing wrong here.

Back