• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Lets Add a Chat Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a free slack account there are unlimited Full member invitations. If we turned this slack channel into an open community for anyone to join we can deploy Slackin onto a free heroku app and people can get invitations automatically, (they go to a webpage, input email and it requests an invite). We could even deploy the app onto it's own server and point a domain to it if we wanted too. For instance we could make slack.dashpay.io point to the Slackin web app on a server so instead of dashpay.herokuapp.com we have the former.

https://github.com/rauchg/slackin
I've already tested this app on my own slack channel and it works perfectly. I can set it up in about 5 minutes for the dashpay slack page using a free instance on herokuapp . If we are not going to be using slack for the dev team it might be a good idea to open it up to the public. Thoughts?

Would love to see it done!

Would love to see it done!

Well if they plan to keep the current chat private I will go ahead and proceed in creating a public slack channel for us. IRC is alright but the guy who created Slackin talks about the problems with IRC in this article here, and I share his sentiments. http://rauchg.com/slackin/ - IRC is cool, I love it, but there is to much user friction there and it's not easy for your every day person.

Will keep you updated on what is decided.

With a free slack account there are unlimited Full member invitations. If we turned this slack channel into an open community for anyone to join we can deploy Slackin onto a free heroku app and people can get invitations automatically, (they go to a webpage, input email and it requests an invite). We could even deploy the app onto it's own server and point a domain to it if we wanted too. For instance we could make slack.dashpay.io point to the Slackin web app on a server so instead of dashpay.herokuapp.com we have the former.

https://github.com/rauchg/slackin
I've already tested this app on my own slack channel and it works perfectly. I can set it up in about 5 minutes for the dashpay slack page using a free instance on herokuapp . If we are not going to be using slack for the dev team it might be a good idea to open it up to the public. Thoughts?
raganius joined #dashpay on Freenode IRC by using my simple silly guide.... and yesterday he said to me:
[17:46:27] <Raganius> I guess im already addicted to irc
[17:46:33] <Raganius> ;)
And today he said:
[10:15:40] <Raganius> molly, I've created the brazilian dash channel at #dash-brasil , now I'll start "fathering" the brl-btc p2p group ;)
Come on guys, what's wrong with Freenode? There are more than 9000 users on Freenode from all cultures and nationalities. Didn't you say you wanted to tell the world about Dash? Here's the Freenode blog: https://blog.freenode.net/category/user-count/

If you still don't believe, go ahead and create a cocoon for yourselves and be there by yourselves... :grin: :tongue:

Edit: buster - Sorry if i hurt your feelings, Bill. I was joking about the "cocoon" :)
But anyways, here's the stats I just found on freenode:
"* 84812 96742 :Current global users 84812, max 96742"
http://irc.netsplit.de/networks/statistics.php?net=freenode
It means currently there are about 84812 users (and bots) on all servers of this network, plenty of people to talk to about Dash if anyone wants to try.

Last edited by a moderator:
raganius joined #dashpay on Freenode IRC by using my simple silly guide.... and yesterday he said to me:

And today he said:

Come on guys, what's wrong with Freenode? There are more than 9000 users on Freenode from all cultures and nationalities. Didn't you say you wanted to tell the world about Dash? Here's the Freenode blog: https://blog.freenode.net/category/user-count/

If you still don't believe, go ahead and create a cocoon for yourselves and be there by yourselves... :grin: :tongue:

Okay I will. takes 5 minutes and wont hurt anybody.

Okay I will. takes 5 minutes and wont hurt anybody.
LOL
You'll probably get the same old peeps from bticointalk or dashtalk over but you won't get many new members... just sayin.. :tongue:

On other IRC networks, not just Freenode, there're tons of people. As big as Freenode is (and Freenode is the largest, most populated IRC network of all), right now #dashpay has only around 250 regulars... It's not easy, not yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't even know why some started using Slack instead of IRC. Far as I can tell, there isn't much real-time Dash chat anywhere, so I'm not sure adding more places (that aren't bridged) makes sense. Having an embedded web IRC client here could be interesting though.

is the dash slack account just for devs? or for anyone?

I think a chat plug-in on this forum is the way to go. Not just some obscure undernet IRC chat room.

I think a plug-in is a much better idea. In IRC you need new username, whole new sign-up process and I don't like the fact that anyone in chat can see your IP. You have to get out of your way to create an anon identity on IRC to hide the IP which is too much headache.

It also has a non professional vibe to it. A blast from the past throwback to the 90s.

I think a plug-in is a much better idea. In IRC you need new username, whole new sign-up process and I don't like the fact that anyone in chat can see your IP. You have to get out of your way to create an anon identity on IRC to hide the IP which is too much headache.

It also have a non professional vibe to it. A blast from the past throwback to the 90s.

oh
i thought you are talking about a chat plug in for this page here, (Dashtalk) as that would be super cool !
(and speed conversation up + keeps the 'juice' flowing)
:wink:

oh
i thought you are talking about a chat plug in for this page here, (Dashtalk) as that would be super cool !
(and speed conversation up + keeps the 'juice' flowing)
:wink:

Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about. I was just saying the IRC chat some have suggested doesn't seem like such a good idea.

Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about. I was just saying the IRC chat some have suggested doesn't seem like such a good idea.

IRC is a different thing !

Telegram, a chat on here and such 'normal' chat are easy and simple for newcomers and such
IRC is more a 'Pro' thing
(i remember the first time i tried to sort out IRC 2 years ago, god dam was that complicated )
lol
:rolleyes:

IRC is a different thing !

Telegram, a chat on here and such 'normal' chat are easy and simple for newcomers and such
IRC is more a 'Pro' thing
(i remember the first time i tried to sort out IRC 2 years ago, god dam was that complicated )
lol
:rolleyes:

I've started using IRC back in the early 90s. It feels so old and outdated. I guess some find it cool in a geeky sense but it doesn't help, especially with the less techy people.

Yeah, I think a forum plug-in is the best way to go, especially since we can take advantage of the cool Xenforo forum which is way more advanced than the old shitty free SMF Bitcoin.com and Bitcointalk.org are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back