• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Transaction types

l3moony

Hi there,

I'm trying to _really_ understand the way Darksend works, and thought that you folks might help, as the whitepaper is a bit fuzzy about some of the details :)

I'm confused about all the different transaction types listed in my transaction log:

* Darksend Create Denomations

Okay, it think this one is clear.

* Darksend Denominate

I guess this one is just a simple round of Darksend, yes?

* Darksent

I don't have any transactions of this type. Is it just a remnant of old days, when CoinJoins used to be performed just-in-time?

* Darksend Make Collateral Inputs + Darksend Collateral Payment

No idea about these transactions. From what I understand by reading the whitepaper, masternodes have a bond of collateral to participate... but i'm not a masternode.

Furthermore, when exactly do I have to pay fees? My transaction log gives me the impression that everything despite of Darksend Denominate transactions will require a fee. The whitepaper states that "In addition to denominations, fees should be removed from the transactions and charged in bulk in separate, sporadic unlinkable transactions.". Can someone give me an example of such a transaction?

Thanks,

l3moony

Hi there,

I'm trying to _really_ understand the way Darksend works, and thought that you folks might help, as the whitepaper is a bit fuzzy about some of the details :)

I'm confused about all the different transaction types listed in my transaction log:

* Darksend Create Denomations

Okay, it think this one is clear.

* Darksend Denominate

I guess this one is just a simple round of Darksend, yes?
Yes

* Darksent

I don't have any transactions of this type. Is it just a remnant of old days, when CoinJoins used to be performed just-in-time?
That's the one when you use DS balance only (i.e. Darksend checkbox was checked on Send tab) to send to someone

* Darksend Make Collateral Inputs + Darksend Collateral Payment

No idea about these transactions. From what I understand by reading the whitepaper, masternodes have a bond of collateral to participate... but i'm not a masternode.

Furthermore, when exactly do I have to pay fees? My transaction log gives me the impression that everything despite of Darksend Denominate transactions will require a fee. The whitepaper states that "In addition to denominations, fees should be removed from the transactions and charged in bulk in separate, sporadic unlinkable transactions.". Can someone give me an example of such a transaction?
Collaterals are small fees which are sent in every mixing round from clients to masternodes. If you failed to perform some step in mixing you'd be charged that fee. Masternode also will charge fee some random client so in average mixing is not completely free but you can't link fees to specific addresses. "Make Collateral" - internal wallet operation to create a small portion of funds from which collateral will be payed later, "Collateral Payment" is the payment itself.

Thanks,

l3moony

You are welcome :)

Thanks for the explanation!

I still have some problems with that last part:

Masternode also will charge fee some random client so in average mixing is not completely free but you can't link fees to specific addresses.

As I understand that, some random client(s) within one darksend round will be charged with fees. However, the darksend denominate transactions in my transaction log don't have a fee at all. Is that just a coincidence, or are the fees charged in a separate transaction?

Also:

Collaterals are small fees which are sent in every mixing round from clients to masternodes. If you failed to perform some step in mixing you'd be charged that fee.

If I have a pair of "Make Collateral" and "Collateral Payment" transactions in my log it basically means that my client failed to performed some step in one round of Darksend. What kind of mechanism prevents that a malicious masternode just makes false accusations?

I still have some problems with that last part:

As I understand that, some random client(s) within one darksend round will be charged with fees. However, the darksend denominate transactions in my transaction log don't have a fee at all. Is that just a coincidence, or are the fees charged in a separate transaction?

Fees are charged in a separate tx to avoid straight linking to mixing tx.

Also:

If I have a pair of "Make Collateral" and "Collateral Payment" transactions in my log it basically means that my client failed to performed some step in one round of Darksend. What kind of mechanism prevents that a malicious masternode just makes false accusations?

Fees are paid to miners, not to masternodes so they have no to little incentive to do this. Also wallet keep records of masternodes it used lately and skip them on next rounds so even if there are few malicious masternodes you won't hit them to often.

Back