• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Guide to Run Multiple Wallets on PC

moli

Some simple steps to create a few wallets and get them run on Windows at the same time.

1. Downloading from https://www.dashpay.io/downloads/

Make sure you always get your Dash wallets from this official site and do the checksum before installing.
You can find the guide for Windows checksum from here.

For Windows you have a choice to download either the Installer version or the Zip version. The Installer has only 32-bit version. The Zip file gives a choice for either 32- or 64-bit version. For this guide I'm going to download the Zip file.

2. Unzipping and unpacking

Use Winzip or 7-zip to unzip, then unpack your files to a folder.

upload_2015-5-24_17-18-39.png

Because I'm on a 32-bit Windows so I'm going to choose this version by clicking on "32":

upload_2015-5-24_17-22-14.png

3. Installing the wallet package

To start the installation, click on "dash-0.11.2.-win32-setup.exe". A "Welcome... " screen opens, click on "Next". A default window opens to ask if you want to install "Dash" client in the "Program Files" directory.

(Note: If you're on a 64-bit Windows, there are two "Program Files" folders. To install a 32-bit version, Windows will ask if you want to choose the "Program Files (x86)" directory, because that is where 32-bit software is designed to be, and for 64-bit software, the default is "Program Files".)

upload_2015-5-24_17-32-0.png

Now you can either take this default location or choose another directory of your choice. I am going to tale this default directory for the Dash folder.

Click on "Next". Then click "Install". The next window says "Installation Complete", click on "Next". Then click on "Finish".

4. Creating Dash data folders

The next screen opens to ask where you want to install the Dash data folder. The Windows default directory for this data folder is C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Dash. But this has been a confusing issue for many people, not knowing where to find their wallet.dat; therefore, I am going to choose a simpler, shorter directory: C:\, and I'm going to name this folder "Dash1"... Then click on "OK".

upload_2015-5-24_18-3-25.png

Wait for this wallet to fully sync, then close the wallet.
Open C:\ directory, create a new folder, name it "Dash2". Copy the "blocks" and "chainstate" folders from "Dash1" and paste them in "Dash2". This will help the syncing to be much faster.

Summary:
- First wallet data directory: C:\Dash1.
- Second wallet data directory: C:\Dash2.
- Directory for dash-qt.exe to run these wallets: C:\Program Files\Dash.

5. Creating shortcuts

Open the Dash folder under "Program Files" you'll see a screen like this:

upload_2015-5-24_18-26-18.png

Right-click on the dash-qt.exe and choose "Create Shortcut". Drag this shortcut to your desktop.
Right-click on the shortcut and open "Properties". Append this line to the end of "Target": -datadir=C:\Dash1 -listen=0.

(Dash1) Target: "C:\Program Files\Dash\dash-qt.exe" -datadir=C:\Dash1 -listen=0

Repeat the above step to create a shortcut for folder "Dash2". Then append this line to the end of "Target" for "Dash2" shortcut: -datadir=C:\Dash2 -listen=0.

(Dash2) Target: "C:\Program Files\Dash\dash-qt.exe" -datadir=C:\Dash2 -listen=0

upload_2015-5-24_18-37-55.png

Click on these shortcuts to make sure they work and both wallet can run at the same time.

As you can see from the above screenshots, the wallets are run by the dash-qt.exe that resides in the Dash folder which is under the "Program File" directory. But the Dash data folder which contains the wallet.dat is somewhere else. By using the <datadir> parameter we tell the dash-qt.exe the data directory, where to find the wallet.dat and run it. And in order to be able to run more than one wallet at the same time, we have to set parameter -listen=0 to disable the listening and make each outbound connection of each wallet to go a different port so they don't "collide"... (This is all I know, someone with better knowledge please chime in.)

If you would like to create more than two wallets. follow the same steps and create another data folder. Also, try to run the dash-qt.exe from another directory to see how it works.

6. Running the wallets

Have fun running your multiple wallets!

upload_2015-5-24_21-46-7.png

Shortcuts are sooo handy...

upload_2015-5-24_21-50-15.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Tx moli
very cool
:grin:
Thanks! :) I guess we're friends again? :tongue:

BTW... look at date of the dash-qt.exe file, "Date modified 1/9/2014"... That was the date it was created, even before the coin was launched...
Maybe UdjinM6 can explain.

Thanks! :) I guess we're friends again? :tongue:

BTW... look at date of the dash-qt.exe file, "Date modified 1/9/2014"... That was the date it was created, even before the coin was launched...
Maybe UdjinM6 can explain.
AFAIK that is "fake" or "reference" date and it's used to create deterministic builds by gitian i.e. different developers can build from the same source code on their own VMs and every single bit of their resulted binaries should match. As a result this way you can be sure that binaries were build from exactly the same source code that is available to everyone (for example on github) and it wasn't modified by the guy who built it or by some malware/virus/etc.

AFAIK that is "fake" or "reference" date and it's used to create deterministic builds by gitian i.e. different developers can build from the same source code on their own VMs and every single bit of their resulted binaries should match. As a result this way you can be sure that binaries were build from exactly the same source code that is available to everyone (for example on github) and it wasn't modified by the guy who built it or by some malware/virus/etc.
Ah.. I see... The previous versions have newer dates so it made me wonder why...

Thanks for your explaining! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
But do you have to have multiple data directories that contain the entire Dash blockchain? Or can you just have your wallet file in there and that's it?

But do you have to have multiple data directories that contain the entire Dash blockchain? Or can you just have your wallet file in there and that's it?
Each wallet directory contains the wallet.dat, the entire blockchain, debug log, and a few other files. For example, in my guide I created an empty folder, named it "Dash1". When running dash-qt.exe by clicking on the shortcut, I get the folder "Dash1" filled with those files, as you can see from this screenshot:

upload_2015-7-13_22-58-21.png

As far as I know we have to create multiple folders with the wallet data like this to run multiple wallets at the same time, You can have more than one "wallet.dat" in your folder, but only one "wallet.dat" can be run one at a time, the others have to be renamed to something like "wallet.dat.hasmoney", "wallet.dat.nomoney"....

Back