• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How did difficulty jump so high on 3/12?

MrMime

Foundation Member
So I was looking at the general difficulty curve here, and was wondering how did the network spike so high on that day? All the way to 10k, must have meant some sort of huge whale behind it for a while, or was this just a glitch in the network?

So I was looking at the general difficulty curve here, and was wondering how did the network spike so high on that day? All the way to 10k, must have meant some sort of huge whale behind it for a while, or was this just a glitch in the network?

I think it was a whale and a deficiency of KGW to adjust resonably.

Wow. How much hashing power did that take to achieve?

It's kind of technical as far as how KGW can be exploited in that matter . . more so than I feel comfortable explaining. Realistically . . less than 1g# was used to cause it to happen.

It's called time warp exploit, and any coin using KGW is very susceptible to it.

The DGW that was moved to is still susceptible, but to a much lesser effect. For example, the difficulty won't have a jump that high again so we all don't get stuck on a block . . and the attacker submitting the blocks from the wrong chain won't get nearly as many coins . . but the change still allows for blocks with future time stamps to be submitted.

For more information about the exploit, check out this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=504103.0

Back