• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Bad backup practice !! I almost destroyed +1k Dash!

yidakee

Foundation Member
I am bit embarrassed to admit this, but hey, here goes... :oops:

So a friend invested 6k into Dash. Teaching him about cryptos, he’s really excited.

First and foremost a proper backup! I am shocked that I almost potentially destroyed all his Dash, even after one year of multiple wallet.dat management. He wants to invest long term, and not have his wallet on the laptop.

I was under the impression that Dash had a keypool of 1000 addresses. Everything I read about BTC or Dash suggests that you only need to backup AFTER you use up your 1k keypair. (100 in BTC)

That is not true at all.

It is only true if you do NOT use the wallet for anything. Here is what I did.

- setup Dash, sync blockchain, generated 3 addresses in total.
- Sent 0.1 to wallet address 0
- Encrypted wallet, opened and sent back 0.1 to test if password is ok before sending big funds. Wallet is ok.
- Sent 1260 Dash to the wallet address 0
- Then sent 1 Dash to address 0 to have my friend practice sending
- He send me back 1 Dash (without coin control)+
- He broke the address 0 1260 vin, sending 1259 to a change address, not using my original 1 Dash

Tested backup (thank god!!), only 1 Dash in there, made me look a bit stupid in front of him...

So, I am a bit shocked (at myself of course) …

So just so I don’t poop this, please tell me if this is right, as he wants to keep the wallet offline, but every month feed a little into it;

- Using coin control I consolidate all inputs to address 0 again.
- Create a new backup, just in case.
- The backup will only have the 3 generated receive addresses
- Backup wallet.dat is stored in a pen drive in a safe
- In the future, my friend is free to create 50 receive addresses if he wants, and send funds to it. These receive addresses are part of the 1k keypool, so you do NOT need to backup again. So if his laptop explodes, the imported backup (with original 3 generated addresses only) will see the 50 newly generate addresses, correct?
- He CANNOT touch the funds on the live wallet, or it will break the vin creating a a change address, thus destroying the backup in the safe.

Is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't really understood what happened but

dumpprivkey <adress>
Before sending any coin to a determined address

then if needed (can be used in every wallet)
importprivkey <adress>

I haven't really understood what happened but

dumpprivkey <adress>
Before sending any coin to a determined address

then if needed (can be used in every wallet)
importprivkey <adress>

No, an entire wallet.dat, or even a dumprivkey. If you use the wallet and accidentally break a vin, the backup is lost.

If its a single keypair, that is obvious. I just had no clue that the change address in NOT part of the 1k keypool in the wallet.dat - I am actually a bit shocked that it isn't

Paper wallet makes better sense, but I dont have time or the means right now to generate one (travelling with him until Sunday, then I go back home and so does he, different countries)

Nothing happened, just a potential disaster.

Yes, it looks like the change address isn't taken from the already generated keypool, so you need a new backup. As an alternative, you can specify a change address by yourself (checkbox under coin control). Use one out of the keypool and your backup is still on par.

Yes, it looks like the change address isn't taken from the already generated keypool, so you need a new backup. As an alternative, you can specify a change address by yourself (checkbox under coin control). Use one out of the keypool and your backup is still on par.

So that means I can "force" a change address to be a receive address? Did I get that right?

But then, when he closes and opens the wallet again, that will not stick, he'd have to manually do it every time right?

- setup Dash, sync blockchain, generated 3 addresses in total.
- Sent 0.1 to wallet address 0
- Encrypted wallet, opened and sent back 0.1 to test if password is ok before sending big funds. Wallet is ok.
- Sent 1260 Dash to the wallet address 0
- Then sent 1 Dash to address 0 to have my friend practice sending
- He send me back 1 Dash (without coin control)+
- He broke the address 0 1260 vin, sending 1259 to a change address, not using my original 1 Dash

Tested backup (thank god!!), only 1 Dash in there, made me look a bit stupid in front of him...
When exactly backup was created? You should backup encrypted wallet because keypool is rewritten on encryption (all your previous keypairs from keypool are wiped out and replaced with new ones, but receiving addresses stay untouched of course).

You should also see smth like this on encryption:
Dash will close now to finish the encryption process.
Remember that encrypting your wallet cannot fully protect
your dashs from being stolen by malware infecting your computer.

IMPORTANT: Any previous backups you have made of your wallet file
should be replaced with the newly generated, encrypted wallet file.
For security reasons, previous backups of the unencrypted wallet file
will become useless as soon as you start using the new, encrypted wallet.

I just had no clue that the change address in NOT part of the 1k keypool in the wallet.dat - I am actually a bit shocked that it isn't
That shouldn't be the case, see above.

Yes, that's exactly how it is now.

Ok. thats not going to work for him. He's not techy at and will only confuse him. Shit, starting to regret this whole thing.

Just to be triple sure then; The backup has 3 pre-generated receive addresses. In the future, if he generated 997 new addresses and then looses the hot wallet, the backup (with only 3 pre-generated addresses) will see the tx made to the other 997 ?

When exactly backup was created? You should backup encrypted wallet because keypool is rewritten on encryption (all your previous keypairs from keypool are wiped out and replaced with new ones, but receiving addresses stay untouched of course).

Oh crap! Yeah, the backup was made BEFORE encryption! If the keypool is rewritten, then I'm was making double poo-poo

So then, if you generate X addresses (lets say 3 addresses) before encryption, then those will be save after encryption, only the remaining 997 will be replaced? Damn, now I see the security potential security breach.

Oh crap! Yeah, the backup was made BEFORE encryption! If the keypool is rewritten, then I'm was making double poo-poo

So then, if you generate an address (lets say 3 addresses) before encryption, then those will be save after encryption, the remaining 997 will be replaced. Damn, know I see the security potential security breach.
Exactly. So you should first encrypt wallet, backup it, then generate new address (it will be taken from new 1k keypool generated on encryption so encrypted wallet backup should be aware of it) and then send funds there (dump that private key just in case first). That way there should be no trace of unencrypted keys that could leak out.

EDIT: And pleeease make tests on testnet :)

- In the future, my friend is free to create 50 receive addresses if he wants, and send funds to it. These receive addresses are part of the 1k keypool, so you do NOT need to backup again. So if his laptop explodes, the imported backup (with original 3 generated addresses only) will see the 50 newly generate addresses, correct?
- He CANNOT touch the funds on the live wallet, or it will break the vin creating a a change address, thus destroying the backup in the safe.

Is this correct?

I never had a problem like you described.
I made a few copys of my main wallet. I've been sending funds to an exchange since 2011 and the rest of my money always went to the newly generated change address. When I opened one of my backed up wallet in order to send again I did have my coins after that. I've been sending funds from an exchange to me (sometimes to the same address, stopped after R-value problem :what:) and I had my coins after sync.

I never had a problem like you described.
I made a few copys of my main wallet. I've been sending funds to an exchange since 2011 and the rest of my money always went to the newly generated change address. When I opened one of my backed up wallet in order to send again I did have my coins after that. I've been sending funds from an exchange to me (sometimes to the same address, stopped after R-value problem :what:) and I had my coins after sync.

Yeah, but I created addresses before encryption and backed it up, THEN encrypted, then sent funds to it. When I touched the vin, created a change address, and that did not show up in the unencrypted wallet backup. I only did this because its not my money and I was "scared" he might pop in a bad password and lock himself out of his own coins.

So that means that AFTER encryption, change addresses are also in the keypool? Now you got me confused again...

You should backup encrypted wallet because keypool is rewritten on encryption (all your previous keypairs from keypool are wiped out and replaced with new ones, but receiving addresses stay untouched of course).
I didn't know that. Good that I always make backups after encryption

Wouldn't it be a good wallet feature to show a warning message every time a backup is needed? Or make configurable automatic backups in these cases?

Yeah, I think I got it. The address was created before encryption, but the vin touched after encryption, so the keypool changed for the remaining

Yes. I always make backups after encryption and it seems to work like that. The change addresses are in the pool.

Bingo!

Pheeew, I feel relieved I wasn't being a ding-dong... but yeah, bad backup procedure no doubt!

Sometimes trying to be a good samaritan can back-fire :confused:

Bingo!

Pheeew, I feel relieved I wasn't being a ding-dong... but yeah, bad backup procedure no doubt!

Sometime trying to be a good samaritan can back-fire :confused:

If a pro like you can get into trouble, more built-in security is needed for mass adoption.

Back